That Mr Cool DIY Minisplit heat pump.

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Kamp Krap, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

I ran it through the 100+ degree days of summer, ran it through a week that got as low as -10 and it has kept the food container at 52 degrees and near zero humidity through it all. It did pull a few more amps on the really hot and really cold days but ran just fine. Its the 12k btu one. Easy to install and get up and running and is proving to be very dependable, Well worth the $1700 price tag IMO.

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

So is this unit the 115VAC unit? How easy was the install?

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  3. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

let me look up the unit but yes it 115 and runs on a 20 amp breaker.
    It is this one price has gone up since last spring. Took me about 90 minutes to install and wire in. Would have taken a hour but the kit is designed to go through block wall or 2x4 or 2x6 stud walls. my container wall are only 3" thick with the foam insulation so I have to do some engineering to make it fit right and tight. Can also get them at Lowe's and I believe Menard's now. But be sure to get the DIY with the pre charged lines unless you can or want to charge the lines yourself. The not DIY cost a couple hundred bucks less. But worth it to me to just get the precharged lines.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083YM3D2V/?tag=survivalmonke-20

4. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

What I would really like to know is........ WHERE IS THIS 7% and 8% inflation at!~ I WANT TO SHOP THERE!!! Seems like everything I need or want is double or triple the price it was in 2019! And still on back order for 3 Months to 1 year :(

techsar, Gator 45/70, duane and 5 others like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

SloJoe is still trying to explain that to good folks with intact Critical Thinking Skills… but his mojo is slipping…

6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Welcome back Mr Kamp ,,,
    Been seriously thinking about one of them units ,, how many BTU's on your unit ? and how many sq. feet are is your container ?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Like unemployment, with inflation the real number is more like double what the feds claim.

8. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Its one of the 40' High Cubes just call it 8x40 =320sqft x 9= 2880cubic feet.
    DSC02653.JPG

When I first turned it on. That cheap reflective 3" styrofoam insulation on the walls has done well. I just put it up with liquid nails and it is still staying up.
    DSC02807.JPG

still waiting on the mounting bracket to put it up off the ground.
    DSC02808.JPG

DSC02767.JPG

Used the purple house wrap closed cell the ceiling and just laid on flat 2x4s then stuck great stuff nozzle through the seams and sealed it together above did the great stuff on the sides and ends as well. It is not pretty but it is effective. I also left a foot gap between roof and insulation and cut a couple of heat vent holes above and painted the roof white.
    DSC03082.JPG

Did half of it insulated for low humidity dry storage. The mini split is also a dehumidifier and keeps the 20' back half bone dry.
    DSC03079.JPG

I did a ***WOW THAT WAS STUPID*** and installed the mini split before I leveled the container LOL So the moisture was draining out and making a lake on the floor. Rather than undo it all and level it again I found enough play to prop it up with a 2x4 so the water went out through the drain line :)
    DSC03078.JPG

Front half I will eventually insulate but it is just non temp sensitive dry dry storage, jars, canners, pressure cookers, and the 4 chest and one upright freezers I am going to keep plugged in. After I got rid of the old mobile home that freed up another 200amps in my disconnect box so I ran a 100amp line to the two 40' containers and stuck a 20 slot breaker box in the food container. And re did the minisplit wiring to run above the insulation in conduit and made it a bit more secure with no wire exposed outside. The food container with all of the freezers. LEDs and the mini split pull a whopping 35 amps on average when it is hot and freezers are running harder and around 18amps when it is cold and the Mini Split is working at its least efficient.
    DSC03605.JPG

The 240s didn't come in the 12k BTU and the size up that ran on 240 got into the $2400 range. More than I wanted to spend on this experiment :) I got bigger 240 unit with 4 zones for the new house main areas and a pair of the 115 12k BTU ones for the bedroom and office to be independent. They are primarily for the AC which they are super efficient at making, use about 75% less electric than a 12k window AC and get a lot colder.

I got this beast to heat the house. It is the Biggest USA Stove and claims to heat 3200 square feet with 10+ hours burn times. Hooked it up during -10 to +5 week and tested it out. It will burn you out of the houses 1600 sq ft on a full high burn. So the mini splits will be working very little during the winter, just back up for the long days away. All unhooked again and pushed back up against the wall. Need to build its pedastal/hearth and the brick wall behind it. I have resisted giving up my old box stoves for more modern and efficient stoves. The old giant Voglezang box stove in the cabin will never be given up. LOL I have been staying warm with it for 25 years now and its like a old friend. It could heat the house but would be constantly feeding it to keep it high burning to do it. This modern one (Way more expensive than I wanted to pay!) is rated at like 73% efficient, uses A LOT less firewood and I can still perk coffee and cook on it :) So the minisplits will be back up to this for the heat. And even 115 is a tiny fraction of the cost of the previous AC methods. Sounds bad but we are down to 900KWH per Month on the power use. But considering that when I was in business and commercial we were pulling 5500-6000KWH per month on average ........... The 16x30 walk in freezer and the 10x20 walk in cooler were total power hogs! LOL selling those two units alone saved a lot of money in the electric realm. Still run the commercial kitchen part time doing some catering work and it sucks around 400KWH per month. Once I shut it down for good other than my own personal processing and canning.......... that will get is down in the 500kwh use range. I have a few more things to convert to more efficient ways that will save another 150kwh.

The goal has been to cut the power use without giving up the quality of life the power use gives. And since I am done with society and fully retiring out of business, I have been able to butcher the big electric suckers. LOL I want the solar system but want it to be a reasonable size of 40kw or less ideally I would like to be where a 25kw system would cover the needs and enough extra to keep a large battery bank charged. Without the back up generator constantly kicking on. The solar company I am working with is telling me that with the Federal and State credits, incentives and rebates the 40k system will cost me around $7500 out of pocket with the catch that it has to be installed by certified and licensed installers and has to be grid tied for X amount of years before I can ungrid tie it and make it a 100% off grid system. Get a tiny fraction of the incentives if I install it myself and make it offgrid and the price tag then is a whole lot more than $7500. Anyway I have a few more months to decide if I want to be attached to the Krappy Co-op for some more years and not spend much money or if I want to spend a lot more money and not be attached to them and send them their shut off notice LOL.

1547900_A1.

9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Or is it Mr. Krap?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

7 to 8 percent inflation is how you figure it, when you're using their "Common Core" math! You need to add the 7 and 8 together, to get something closer to the reality!! :unsure::eek::rolleyes:

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yea ,,, I'm just havin' a hard time callin' the man and his wife , Krap .
    I don't mean no disrespect to'em .

12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

KK sounds fine

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7