The AR-15 Is The “Musket of Our Time”

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Motomom34, Aug 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Excellent written article by Charles C.W. Cooke. He does a great job and I think the AR-15 may be the Musket of the Moment. I met a 50+ year old and I mentioned an AR-15. He said he had no idea what that was but he had a lot of rifles. He was an old time shooter that probably never thought of the need for a magazine that hold 15-30 rounds.

Charles C. W. Cooke: The AR-15 Is The "Musket of Our Time" - The Truth About Guns

2. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

The Brown Bess was standard issue of the British Army in our revolutionary days, so IMO the proper modern day equivalent would be an M16 or M4, not an AR15.

Dunerunner and Altoidfishfins like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Exactly and I agree! But, there is one small problem to that...the US Government's National Firearms Act of 1934 and The Gun Control Act of 1968. (Note: I know you know this but put it in there for those that don't, especially some of the lurkers )

EDIT: WOW! Really good article. Well written and worth the read. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Motomom34 likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A bolt action, breach loading centrefire rifle would be the musket of our time....the M4 or M16 would be the man portable gattling gun of our time. When did a single shot weapon transform itself into an automatic / semi automatic weapon???

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Read the article - it fulfills the same role as the musket did in it's time and just as your bolt action rifle did coming on a century ago.

tacmotusn, Motomom34 and Caveman Jim like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Relevant to the role it played, the two are the same AK and musket.
    the colonists were armed with the same function weaponry as the brits, just as most off the world are armed with AK and the like.
    What bothers the powers that be, is they do not want their citizens armed near any equivalence to the current military.
    Particularly because they intend on dismantling the constitution . which our fathers paid to protect with their blood. politicians have so little regard.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Motomom34, Altoidfishfins and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Goin for the Glory

I'll keep my EBR and the antis can keep their hope and change!!!!

Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

That is pure BS (and typical). The M4 or M16 is the standard long arm for a member of the military...as a musket was in 1776. Like the rest of the gun-limitting fools, you seize on the "single shot" as if that is what defines the comparison.

Excellent article Moto...thanks for posting it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  9. chelloveck

And like the 2A proponents, the standard contemporary military long arm , whatever it may be at the time, (of whatever nation apparently, given that the AK has also been touted as a viable standard) is deemed to possess the defining characteristic. Each side of the debate, attempts to channel from the US constitution (the framer's original intent) which best suits their interpretation of it.

Constitutional literalists interpret the 2A narrowly, focussing on the characteristics that would limit the lethality of weapons used in the kind of contemporary massacres of the school and shopping mall kind that occur with increasing regularity ....their main concern is safety from homicidal nuts with guns.

Contemporary 2A proponents focus narrowly on long arms as military style weapons....their main concern is safety from homicidal governments with military grade long arms.

Perhaps the compromise solution might be that all patriots may own a US M1918 Chauchat in 30-06
    This redoubtable US military fire arm, featured in the image below, being fired by an American doughboy, would be a worthy counter to any nefarious governments taking liberties with citizens' liberties.
    upload_2016-8-10_11-42-1.

What more could a militia member ask for...a battle proven automatic MBR with excellent knockdown power, a serviceable magazine capacity, and eminently portable.

I'd even be prepared to generously throw in a brace of Mars pistols as an additional concession.
    upload_2016-8-10_11-27-55.
    Gabbett-Fairfax Mars

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Lest anyone take Chelly's post as true rather than sarcastic, and un-needed ---

Wiki -

"The Chauchat is the only full-automatic weapon actuated by long recoil, a Browning-designed system already applied in 1906 to the Remington Model 8 semi-automatic rifle: extraction and ejection of the empties takes place when the barrel returns forward, while the bolt is retained in the rear position. Over time, the Chauchat machine rifle's just passable performance in its dominant version (the Mle 1915 in 8mm Lebel) and the failure of its limited version in U.S. 30-06 (the Mle 1918), have led some modern experts to assess it as the "worst machine gun" ever fielded in the history of warfare."

In the same article, the Chauchat is acknowledged to be a failure.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. chelloveck

Damn....you saw through my cunning ploy! ;) There are also good reasons why the Mars pistol had such a short production run...despite being "ridiculously powerful". At least the Chauchat might give massacre victims some chance of survival.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Exactly! Today's battle rifle.

Caveman Jim and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I can't imagine anyone who has been around here long would do that...

Minuteman and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

75BF3B9A-FFB1-490F-9C4D-D287566E2B7B_zpsp0hsyvmy.

tacmotusn, GOG, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I can see newbs noticing his post count and take it as indicative of expertise. Emphasis newbs, especially those just waking up from the political slumber of status quo.

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. chelloveck

Post count is never a sound basis for assuming a member's expertise, or lack of expertise for that matter, of anyone: Nor that a person's like's count is reflective of the popularity of all the member's posting output. ;)

If sarcasm and unsubstantiated truth claims are unacceptable standards for posting material here....the site's content would be very scant indeed. :D Each person deals with the palatability of the content that they are exposed to by blocking it; disagreeing with it and moving on; or disagreeing with it, and entering into a discussion about it. The "gun debate" is pretty much not much of a debate at all....the two diametrically opposed camps, believing that their opponents' claims are wrong, and fallaciously argued. Rhetorical sniping is what I'd call it. [peep]

He might have had to sell a slave or two....militarised black assault muskets with high end optics don't come cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
    Motomom34 likes this.
  17. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

@chelloveck -

1. interpretations of the 2nd Amendment are irrelevant to the issue, because our right to keep and bear arms...any arms carried in any manner we choose...to defend ourselves and our families is one of those unalienable human rights that we are born with.

2. specific to the 2nd Amendment itself, the language is quite clear, so we don't need self-appointed experts to try to tell us what it means.

avagdu, Tempstar, tacmotusn and 6 others like this.
  18. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

IMHO if you go look with some care at word choices and sentence structure you just might find a pattern...

ALSO IMHO if you do this on many forums and boards you will see a similar pattern emerge on those...

and finally... IMHO you can then connect some dots and maybe get a BIG picture... ?

Dunerunner likes this.
  19. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I believe the second amendment has already been infringed many times. To me (my opinion) is that any American citizen who has not committed a violent felony should be able to own any hand held hand fired weapon carried by any armed services of the world. M-60 , Any belt fed machine gun , If you can carry it you should be able to own one . RPGS AS WELL. Maybe a permit for the rpg and grenade launchers. . We should be able to keep non goverment armories for civilian militias as well.

In short ever American should be able to own an M-4 , THE EQUAL to any military rifles on the planet. If Military forces hand theirs in and disband?? then we can all sit around singing Kumbya.

20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If George Washington could have armed his troops with AK 47s, over the british muskets , he would have.
    the fight is not about being fair, or equally armed, it is about winning it.

1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User
  12. Motomom34