The Campbell Soup Index

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by TnAndy, Jul 22, 2021.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Campbell's tomato soup index. Price of a can since 1898. Notice how the price starts to rise right after Nixon closed the gold window in 1971 and the paper buck was no longer backed by anything.....and has really accelerated in the last 20 years.

THIS IS WHY YOU SAVE IN SILVER AND GOLD.

Not to 'get rich'....but so you can afford soup when you get old.

[​IMG]

Yard Dart, Dont, Oddcaliber and 6 others like this.
  2. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

What is a person to do when they have precious metals, but there is no soup to be had?

3. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

While I clearly don't advocate for a metals only policy, can you think of an extended period of time when real money wouldn't buy a meal in the last couple thousand years ?

Yard Dart and Oddcaliber like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Don't know an answer to that one Tn, but when the Gooberment declares PM's to not be legal tender then your only market is in barter or the black market.

5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Don’t think for one moment that the .gov won’t do this again, Gold Reserve Act - Wikipedia

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I will simply put my investments in bullets, beans, and band-aids. Lead is becoming a pretty darn expensive commodity, primers are still way over priced, inflation at the grocery store is rising, and so forth.

We need to go to the biblical teachings of storing our treasures(preps are not treasures)Matthew 6:19-20 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. “But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal.”

We have to place our faith in God, our selves, our families, and our tribes. It will be our preps that cary us through the dark times. Yes, pm’s have their place in rebuilding this economy, but we all know what is going to have to happen first.

Dont and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I take it that the question was rhetorical, but the thinking person will have anticipated the question for themselves.

One can make one's, own soup from produce that one has have grown or bartered for....people have been making soups from scratch ingredients well before convenience soups were manufactured in cans. Medieval folk got by by making pottage:

Inflation, if one owns one's own land, ought have minimal effect on the produce grown by self sufficient permaculture gardeners.

Perpetual stew - Wikipedia

There is also the venerable stand-by: 'shit soup', made from combining and heating well (to sterilise any nasty bacteria)left overs, and the unused portion of ingredients in cans and jars in the refrigerator that aren't growing a beard, and which pose minimal risk of causing food poisoning among the diners. :eek:

Eat My Asparagus: A Big 'ole Pot of Shit Soup

adkpete and Thunder5Ranch like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7