The national healthcare connundrum Xplained

Discussion in 'Politics' started by offgrittyt, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@mysterymet "If an poor person or illegal goes into a hospital because they have some disease the hospital is required to treat them even though they know they will never get paid. They make up for that loss by charging the rest of us more."

Yep! I got to agree as there is a lot of information to back it up. First and foremost, one needs to understand that Hospitals are businesses. I was reading an article about a major East Coast hospital (New Jersey?) that due to illegals and etc. they were a $150 million in the red! The figured astounded me, still does! The reason of course is by law they couldn't turn anyone away...and while I am sure they could write off some of the loss, in truth, there is only one way to make up that loss. You and me.

offgrittyt and mysterymet like this.
  2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

3. offgrittyt

offgrittyt You gonna eat that?

So the lack of insurance or other method to pay for healthcare drives the costs up for everyone, I agree. The cost of life saving procedures and follow up does often exceed what a working poor person can make in decades if not a lifetime, (especially if you subtract out taxes and basic living expenses). For that matter, median and higher income earners would not be able to pay out of pocket for major medical expenses, unless, just like the working poor, they purchased affordable health insurance based on income. Sorry to say, but the only solution to the always rapidly increasing costs of medical care, which have far outpaced the costs of income for the majority of Americans, is to insist that all USAmericans pay a modest amount into a basic health insurance system to assure funding of basic medical attention & lifesaving procedure.
    Of course, people living in the streets with zero source of income to attach will always be, and hopefully will always be only a tiny fraction of the population. As far as non citizens go, be they illegal or just visiting, USA could do what Canada does, patch em up and ship em out.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  4. offgrittyt

Word kimo sabi.
    True Story, please read.
    Recently, the kommunist governoress of my "State" sent me an avalanche of paperwork from multiple locations and redundant departments, inviting, no, actually insisting that I take her up on her offer of absolutely FREE healthcare coverage! I noticed on one of her many invitational letters one small, inconspicuous sentence that said that the state would sieze my estate upon my passing and liquidate me to pay for my FREE medical coverage, (ello communism)!
    I guess estate liquidation would be fine and dandy if all that I have ever planned to accumulate in life was a section eight living cubicle, rented furnishings and a cable TV bill.
    I called her healthcare hotline a few times and each time found myself sitting on long hold a la state bureaucracy for an aggregate total of a couple of hours. I eventually found out that I could opt out of her free healthcare if I made too much money, which fortunately I did.
    The Moral of the Story: As long as I am able to do something to contribute to society in exchange for money and/or goods and services in like kind, I want the opportunity to PURCHASE healthcare insurance, based upon my income.
    Before the government's affordable healthcare act extended the purchasing of healthcare to working people who weren't getting their affordable healthcare through their methods of employement, or who were fortunate enough to posess the wealth to write their own tickets, millions of working USAmericans were without healthcare insurance, therefore, burdened the healthcare system.
    As the air is let out of the Affordable healthcare Act, just like before the ACT existed I do not see free enterprise insurance providers stepping in to fill the void by offering affordable healthcare insurance products based on income.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  5. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Ok so give qualified vets insurance plans. Take the VA system of hospitals and clinics and turn it into healthcare for the poor and working poor. Dissolve medicaid for the poor. They can use the old VA system. People using it pay based upon income on a sliding scale. Leave medicare for retirees alone. They paid in to the system while working. Leave the rest of the system alone. If a poor person without insurance gets hurt or sick they can go to a regular hospital but then they can get transferred to a government hospital as soon as they can.

This way we still have decent healthcare for people who can afford it and some healthcare for the poor.

Bandit99 and offgrittyt like this.
  6. offgrittyt

Interesting Idea. If this helps spread out the tremendous burden of tremendous healthcare costs while improving coverage for everyone, it's good. Send a signed note to your senators maybe? Better still, ask ten people to ask ten people to send the same note? Even print up 100 notes and provide 100 stamped envelopes? Hopefully government is not so thoroughly hamstrung and presently occupied by corrupt politicians and their lawyers litigiously battling each other for money, power and control, that your idea won't be swept away in the melee.
    Let's also not forget that quite likely, the main Crux of the Affordable Healthcare Connundrum results from the US dollar becoming domestically too weakened due to overprinting, excessive government growth & the associated costs, along with the excessive national debt and the compound interest created in a vain a attempt to fund the fiscally non sustainable ginourmous governmental beast of today by passing off the payments till tomorrow.

7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Not a bad idea, MM. It's one we have discussed before but like all ideas referenced this problem, it just won't happen because the money coming from the industry is too much, bigger than most countries' GDP. They will continue to milk this cow until it runs dry...

I think I have finally resigned myself to the fact that nothing will ever change concerning Healthcare in America and if it does it will probably be for the worse like the Affordable Healthcare Act, the one they had "to pass it to know what's in it" in Pelosi own words...

mysterymet and offgrittyt like this.
  8. offgrittyt

The medical industry recently used to comprise 1/6th of the USA's GNP, (that is staggering), and yep there's HUGE money at stake and the broken dollar bill isn't stretching far enough to allow for the purchase of affordable healthcare insurance for millions upon millions of working people. I guess those who get theirs for *free should count their lucky stars.
    *Note: Nothins free, someone has to pay for it. Those with the least representation, organization and disposable income pay relatively the most; ie the non governMentally employed, shrinking middle class, common core made clueless majority. Yippee!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7