The New 2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Hits the US Shore.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Oct 5, 2018.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

The new Royal Classic 500 is here with some major upgrades
    2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500 | European Cycle Sports
    2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500
    The new Royal Classic 500 is here with some major upgrades. All 2018 models now sport rear disc brakes, ABS and a passenger pillion. There are also new color options to choose from: Gunmetal Grey, Stealth, Chrome Green and Graphite. Schedule a test ride and Return to Pure.
    More

NOW WITH ABS!

$5,699

2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Did not need to see that.

Dunerunner, HK_User and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Cool looking bike. I ran into a guy 5 years or so ago that had an Enfeild on a trailer. I talked to him for a bit about it . Told him I didn't know they were still making them. If I remember correctly , his had springer front end type setup , but it wasn't your average springer setup , it was different , unique , I can't recall right now what made it that way , that's just the way my mind " don't work " anymore. The guy said his insurance company couldn't insure it because they didn't have a listing for an Enfield in their books. I suppose he's gotten straightened out by now. Thanks for posting the link.

Dunerunner and HK_User like this.
  4. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Well the PR doesn't say anythang about lucas so other than wrenches and locktite should be good togo.

Dunerunner, HK_User and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

They have a pretty good following here in the PNW, we see them all the time when the weather isn't so bad.
    I always have had a deep love and appreciation of the Brit bikes, and my Triumph is by far my fav. But I have always wanted a Enfield, funky, old school cool, and they sound good! Buddies have Nortons and BSAs, and I get crap for having a Triumph, as if it's not cool enough! Nothing sounds like a side by side twin Brit, Nothing!!!

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Thinking triumph or BSA when I looked at the pic... Sweet!

[​IMG]

oldman11, Ura-Ki and HK_User like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, it doesn't help that the dealer up the street is THE Brit bike dealer in the whole area, and has several new bikes on display, and sure nuff, they had 6 new bikes out as I drove by SLOWELY! I don't need another bike!

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, THIS is the bike I want! would have to sell/trade my Thruxton in to swing it, but DAMN, its sexy![​IMG]

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That is a good lookin bike there ,,UK,,,
    If you're married,,,you can't have another woman,,,
    But , another bike,,,it's not about " Need " ,,,it's medicinal,,,,it's therapy ,,,,
    Everyone " Needs " therapy ,, these days ,,,,

Alf60, oldman11, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm just gonna have to be happy with my Thruxton, I got way to much into it already, and it is a super sweet bike, it's just, WOW, why didn't they have THIS one out when I got mine?!?!?

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  11. HK_User

Women crave Diamonds.
    Men Dig Bikes.

12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I'm can't say I am a fan of the Brit bikes because as a young guy many of my friends had them but they were always breaking down; however, I personally never own one. Personally, I like Yamaha and think you get a hell'va bike for the price but if I had a choice I would go with the horizonal-oppose BMW. They are so damn easy to work on and they never fail, rock solid bike. I rode my old 1000RS all around Europe, the UK and Ireland, and cried like I baby when I sold it. The only thing I did to it was put electronic ignition in it - that's it. And, I bet it is still running to this day... weepy eyed SIGH....

Alf60, Homer Simpson, Tevin and 3 others like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Actually the best bike I ever had or rode was my Buell Lightning S-1, that bike was rock solid, fast as hell, stopped on a dime, handled like a super bike, and was dead reliable! I should have never sold it, what a mistake that was! I like the ride of the Triumph, but that Buell was a whole different world!
    [​IMG]

HK_User and oldman11 like this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've always wanted to build me an old school laid back semi chopper with a Buell motor . Laid back cool , but fast ..:D

Ura-Ki, HK_User and oldman11 like this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I almost went that route, Check out MCWORX for frame kits and other cool mods and ideas! they have a lot of neat ideas and conversions for Buell bikes!
    [​IMG]

oldman11, SB21 and HK_User like this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

See also -
    The M/C Shop

I was giving serious thought to a Royal Enfield or Ural side hack. Either one in my Xmas stocking would thrill me greatly.

Alf60, oldman11 and HK_User like this.
  17. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

To clarify, Royal Enfield as it exists today is not a "British bike". It's an Indian (the country) bike with a British pedigree.

Royal Enfield motorcycles have not been made in the UK since 1970.

I used to own a 2000 Bullet 500. I bought it used from a neighbor with only a few hundred miles on it and it was the worst motorcycle decision I ever made.

That thing was a Royal Bitch to start (pun intended; it was a kick start. Electric start was an option in 2000). It did not have a low oil shutdown or warning light. My oil ran low and the piston seized. I spent over $500 to bore out cylinder sleeve and replace all the guts. The brakes sucked. The steering felt like a bag of sand. It vibrated like an earthquake and ran hot. My version had the sidecar; with a little 500 engine it was a real dog...and it was already a dog without the sidecar.

Parts are readily available on line and the bike is easy to work on. There are also tons of online forums and fan pages with detailed DIY service data. This is great news because there isn't much of a dealer network and you will be doing a lot of your own work on it.

The Enfield was not my "main bike". I bought it on a foolish whim and sold it two years later to another neighbor and took a big monetary hit in the deal. I disclosed all the warnings but he wanted it anyway.

I've been riding for decades and have owned a lot of not so awesome motorcycles but the Enfield was by a long shot the biggest pile of crap of them all.

I hear they have cleaned up their product quite a bit since 2000 but it's still not on par with the big name brands.

In motorcycle circles, Royal Enfield is known as niche brand, mostly for urban beatniks who are more into looks than practicality and motorcyclists with extra money to blow on something different. The Steampunk fanboys love them too.

Seriously, you don't want one of these as your only bike. I didn't even like it as a second bike.

My current ride is a BMW. Twelve years old and never needed anything except a battery, tires, and oil changes.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Bandit99, Alf60, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That's close , a little to modern for my taste . I a little more old school . Still a good looking bike .

Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  19. HK_User

Any day on a bike is better than a great day in a cage.
    See The M/C Shop for my list of Bikes.
    HK who made it Solo coast to coast, Charleston to Frisco, in 1968 on a 1964 Triumph Bonny, in the tail end of winter on the Dixie Land Route aka US 80 and then to Route 66 in Texas.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I had a H.D. Rocker "C" and it was the biggest pile of crap ever made, in two years i got to put just 2100 miles on it, and it spent almost 11 months combined at the dealer getting "Fixed" only it never did get fixed!
    Was a beautiful bike and when it ran, was a lot of fun to ride! It never made a complete trip, every time it was shut down, it wouldn't start! I bet I set a record for having a bike towed! NEVER A H.D. AGAIN!!!!
    [​IMG]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7