The shooter had a concealed weapon permit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by E.L., Feb 8, 2008.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5520173.html

Feb. 7, 2008, 10:47AM

Separate Houston shootings leave 3 dead, 2 injured

Three people were killed and two others injured Wednesday in unrelated shootings near busy grocery stores in Houston. In the latest shooting, a man was parking his truck and about to exit his vehicle at Gulfgate Center when a gunman approached and tried to rob him about 10 p.m., said Sgt. Robert Odom, an HPD homicide detective.
    The intended victim grabbed his own gun, shooting and killing the suspect.
    "It appears at this time this time the (robbery) victim was acting in self defense," said HPD spokesman John Cannon.
    The shooter had a concealed weapon permit, Odom said. The case will be referred to the Harris County District Attorney's Office for review.
    Investigators were interviewing witnesses and another possible suspect, who was taken into custody late Wednesday.
    In the earlier shooting, two teenagers were killed and a third suffered gunshot wounds in a drive-by shooting near a Randalls in southwest Houston. The triple drive-by shooting was reported about 6:30 p.m. after a blue four-door sedan riddled with bullet holes pulled into the parking lot of a shopping center in the 4800 block of West Bellfort near South Post Oak.
    A youth in his early teens was found dead in the front passenger seat of the car, said Sgt. E.B. Cisneros of HPD's homicide division. He had three gunshot wounds to his back.
    The car's driver and a back seat passenger were taken to the hospital, Cisneros said. One died at the hospital overnight. He had a gunshot wound to his head. The other is expected to live.
    Names of the victims have not been released.
    Investigators believe the shootings took place elsewhere and that the wounded driver drove his badly injured passengers to the shopping center, which includes a Randalls store, a Starbucks and a Chili's.
    "We are still looking for help from witnesses," said HPD's Cannon. "As of now, there are no witnesses or suspects."
    Investigators say a black, 4-door Honda might have been linked to the shootings.
    A Randalls employee who asked not to be identified said she didn't hear shots when the car pulled into the lot, but she saw a man open one of the car's doors and stumble to the ground before bystanders called police.
    "It looks like the shots were fired elsewhere and these guys drove to this parking lot to summon help," Cannon said. "We're still waiting for statements from the surviving victim."
    Police ask that anyone with information about these shootings call HPD's homicide division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
    Chronicle reporter Robert Crowe contributed to this report.

2. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Oh thanks a ton EL. Your stories now make me want to get a CCP but I don't have adequate reason here in comifornia to be granted one. I'm pretty sure here you must have an active restraining order, carry more than 15k in cash or cash like comparables or be LE. Any ideas on a way to make a ccp possible ?

3. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Give generously to a politician - it's the only way I saw when I lived there. I knew a foot doc that had one and he had no enemies and didn't carry a lot of cash, but he knew people and that's what counts.

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Photoshop ;)

5. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

My mistake for leaving out specifics.... how do I get a ccp legally ? [beer]

6. hacon1

hacon1 Monkey+++

Move!

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Vote with your feet![lolol] [winkthumb]
    [chopper][cow][gone]

8. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

Why do I have this sinking feeling that the shooter's having a CCW will cause some nanny-do-gooder group to try and point out how dangerous the whole thing is, this arming the public?

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The way they wrote it makes it a bit unclear which person they are refering to as 'the shooter', the one who shot the BG in self defense or the BG. The media likes to make anyone who defends themselves come off poorly with phrases like 'vigilante', 'took the law in their own hands', 'the shooter', etc, so Im not sure which person involved in the incedent had the permit.

As far as a Komifornia CCP, my understanding is that if you have been the victim of a violent crime you can also qualify so you could either walk around nasty(er) parts of LA or some such and get qualified, get rich and buy it like many of the actors and such or get into politics and get it along with your secret decoder ring. Best bet, move to a free state like most of the rest of the states where they have 'shall issue' permits instead of 'may issue' permits that are just passed out as favors to those with enouph money or the right conections.

10. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

MM, that have been my mistake labeling it as such. FYI, the shooter was the guy who shot the BG, as such the shooter had the concealed carry permit.

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Cool, thats what I THOUGHT, but the way the article read I wasnt positive.

12. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Okay, this story bites and will bite in the future as I do think it will give the do-gooders ammo against the ability to carry. I hate to hear this type of stuff as I see the possibilities of idiots using 'man defends self by shooting criminal' as an action to take away the self-defense actions of everyone who would keep themselves and others safe. Now on the other hand, about permits in commiefornia, you can get one if you are a victim of a violent crime though you have to prove yourself mentally capable by a psychiatrist. So maybe we can have a 'whoop each other' party. You know we'll get together and beat each other up then go to the police saying we were mugged then we can get our permits as a matter of protecting ourselves from violent crimes in the future. Haha. It's rediculous in this state. I'd also recommend moving to a Free state. As soon as I can, I will be. Then we'll just build something like the wall of china on the CA border to give all the crazies two options. A) Stay in CA B) Jump into the ocean. I like it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7