The Wilderness - CCW-friendly AZ Dining Guide

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Grandpa Patch, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

CCW-friendly AZ Dining Guide

When you call your favorite restaurants to make reservations for your family, please check if they are posted. If they are, please cancel the reservation for your party and let them know you regret that you and your family will no longer be able to patronize them. Thank them for their years of service.

If given the excuse that it is a liability problem, note that they have been misinformed because:

• The law only applies to CCW permit holders who have voluntarily passed background checks and taken legal training to comply with the law.
    • Many CCW permit holders are retired police officers
    • The permit holders have agreed not to drink alcohol on the premises.
    • The weapon MUST be concealed.
    • The same law, sometimes with fewer constraints, has been in effect in 40 other states without problems (with no drinking prohibition in many cases).
    • Numerous national chains have chosen to allow lawful carry by permit holders and certainly would not have if it truly was a "liability" problem.
    Remember that establishments that post may not automatically be anti-gun, they may just have a regularly disruptive and rowdy clientele that causes problems. You don't need the problems, and there are many fine restaurants with a higher opinion of you that deserve your business. We have also found an amazing degree of misinformation and many restaurants and bars made their decision with incomplete or incorrect facts. We must try to dispel this ignorance and help them make their choice from an educated, factual position.

Stop and Think
    When one of the managers of a place says "just leave it in the car," imagine your insurance rates going up due to constant window breakage from criminals searching for unattended weapons they now assume will be in cars at restaurants or bars that prohibit CCW. While these restaurants might as well put up "Unarmed Victim Zone" signs on the front door, they should also add "Unattended Weapon Storage" to the parking lot. Will that owner reimburse you for? That could be your car broken into whether you own a firearm or not.

If these owners with an agenda really have their way you permit holders will be bullied into leaving your only protection at home and now be disarmed for your entire trip, not just in the restaurant.

Even if you are anti-gun, don't get the idea that an establishment is safer because of a "no weapons" policy. The establishment may have what the management considers a "problem" clientele and is naive enough to think that a sign will prevent a criminal from having a weapon. The management may not be anti-gun, but may not have educated themselves enough to understand that CCW permit holders do not break laws, don't cause problems and will NOT drink as long as the law requires it. Note that many of the 40 other states that allow CCW in bars and restaurants actually allow drinking, yet they still have had no problems.

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Stopped eating at the local Outback Steak House on the NW Side because they posted. I don't CCW, but the fact that they posted it was enough.

oldawg, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  3. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I had that conversation with a local pub we like a few years ago. One evening we noticed new signage prohibiting CCW. We turned around a left. I later tracked down the e-mail address for the owner. Sent her a polite note stating we would no longer patronize her establishment after years of dining there quite regularly. I also told her why. She responded quite quickly stating that she had not posted the place, and that her night manager had, and that said manager was no longer her employee.
    We had a discussion at her pub a week or so later. Turns out she didn't really have an opinion one way or the other on firearms in general, and CCW in particular, but as the owner of an establishment that serves beer & wine, (no liquor), she was somewhat uncomfortable with people carrying on her premises. Fair enough.
    So I made arrangements for her and one of the other managers to attend a CCW class held the next weekend at the big range five minutes up the road from her pub. Not to qual for her permit, she didn't have any experience with a weapon at all, nut to help her understand the laws, the training required, and the expected responsibilities of a CCW holder.
    So she and her manager absorbed a ton of new information, spent several hours afterwards with the instructor learning how to run a revolver and a semi-auto pistol.
    Later she told me she had an excellent time, had gone on to get her permit, was encouraging certain of her staff to obtain theirs as well. She is also suggesting that members of the state Restaurant Owners and Hospitality org take the class just for the information aspect.
    A side benefit is that the pub has an arrangement with the local ranges that allow discounts to range members.
    So all-in-all it can be very worthwhile talking to the owners of these establishments.

Byte, oldawg, Altoidfishfins and 13 others like this.
  4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

[winkthumb] [applaud]

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Did that with Wally's World, signs quickly came down as did HEB's

6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Lancer Damn! Well done, old chum!

We don't get any of that nonsense around here, luckily. First we are Constitutional Carry state (which makes me rather proud) and this goes for open or concealed carry. Second, the fallout here of any place of business doing this nonsense would be severe because most here use and understand guns. And, in all honesty, I have only been here 4 years (well, in 5 days it will be 4 years) but I have never seen a sign saying one cannot carry in any of the stores or etc., not saying there are not a few but they must be very few and I haven't seen them.

7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Thank you all for a great thread.

I remember watching Suzanna Hupp on a talk show after the mass murders at Luby's in Killeen, Texas. She had left her CCW in the parking lot to "comply" with the local law. Both of her parents were killed, along with 21 others.

Exactly one armed citizen could have stopped the killer in moments. She could have stopped him instantly if she had been armed.

She had a lot to say about that.

BTW: I no longer refer to them as mass shootings. I refer to them as what they are: mass murders. Mass murderers can be stopped, and there is no more certain way than to shoot them dead.

The details:

Luby's shooting - Wikipedia

oldawg, Dont, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have my own policy on CCW, I don't give two shits what any business thinks or feels about my god given right to protect my life and that of my bride, so as far as I am concerned, fukum! No law can force me to comply if I feel it is an unjust and unlawful, so I carry where I choose when I choose and don't give a damn what some sign says or weather it has force of law! Conceled means CONCEALED and I have never been "Found Out" nor has my Bride!

Good thread! We all have our opinions on this and how far we are willing to go, my self breaking the laws, but I value my life and safety far more then the snowflakes who post those signs, and I will continue to carry daily! I will not comply, and if God forbid I have to take action, then I will face the consequences with a clear conscious!

Alf60, Lancer, Mountainman and 2 others like this.
  9. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

As my post signatures have contained since my first profile edit when I joined survivalmonkey:
    Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or be "up the creek" without one?

Alf60, Lancer, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Sign? I see no stinking sign !
    We have a few of the no firearm joints here, The sign carries no rule of law in this state.
    Now if your ''caught'' by the owner/employees with a CC piece and asked to leave...Then just leave.
    You can be charged with trespassing by refusing to leave and that's about it.

Ura-Ki, Mountainman and Grandpa Patch like this.
  11. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

In Arizona, the sign is considered "a reasonable request" and therefore is punishable. Haven't seen or heard of it happening, but you never know.....

12. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Oregon is the same so I carry everywhere. Have only seen a couple places with signs in southern Oregon but could imagine there would be many in the Portland shithole area and they may have a city law against going in if posted. Have only been there once and NEVER plan on going back so could care less what they do.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and Grandpa Patch like this.
  13. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I left my glasses at the house what did that say.

Alf60, oldawg, Altoidfishfins and 4 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7