Gear Review The Leatherman MUT(Military Utility Tool)

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by RouteClearance, Nov 15, 2017.

1. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

7DC0C280-E24D-428A-A122-D50AF34B949E.

What can be said about this tool cannot be said in a single post, so this thread will be a ever evolving thread about Leatherman’s top of the line multi-tool.

This tool was designed for the M16/M4/Ar15 series rifle that we all know of. So I will start this thread with the two major cons about this tool. Price and bulky as get out.

First the price. $160.00 from Amazon, there have been people claiming to have bought this for $120.00 online, but I could not find any source selling for any less than what I paid from Amazon. What you get is the tool, a Mollie pouch and a 3/8” wrench and front sight adjustment tool as pictured.

The second major con is unlike all the other types of folding multi-tools, this beast is bulky . I have been wearing this for a few days and it hangs of your belt at a weight of 14oz. I wear this on my right side and I have to shift it forward when I set in my vehicle and go to buckle up. This is more suited to be worn on the Mollie straps of a utility belt or body armor, not a simple pants belt.

391FF667-419A-41C8-8E69-727E345D10E3.

Have not had the chance to put this tool to use since I have not been to a range. When I do, I want to post as much about this tool to see if the $160.00 price tag is worth it and for you to decide the same. Much more to come about this tool as time and use per,it.

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Nice review @RouteClearance. Below is a list of what the MUT has. I look forward to hearing how this tool performed.

3M-TA3, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Located the PDF users guide,

Attached Files:

3M-TA3, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I bought the MUT version with the EOD type tools and sent it to my Marine Combat Engineer nephew. He was stoked and loves it. He told me he'd "Make it salty." :cool:

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I looked at it the other day, and was impressed with it, and the weight didn't bother me! I normally carry a Leatherman Wave tool, and it' about the same size and weight!

Sgt Nambu, sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I've been carrying a Wave since 1990, same one. I wear it left side next to a spare magazine and barely notice it. I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon. This one will probably outlast me.

GOG, Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Leatherman is good stuff, for sure. For a long time, I too had a Leatherman Wave. Unfortunately, one of my immediate siblings relieved me of it. (You can choose your friends. Unfortunately, you cannot choose your family.)

Anyway, over the past few years, I became friends with a fellow who owns a towing service in Kaliforniastan. I knew he was coming over to visit his wife's family in Phnom Penh, for a month or so. So, I asked if I could have an item shipped to him, and if he were willing to bring over for me. It was a multimeter. He told me not to buy it, that he had one in his shop, which had been left by the owner of a car that had been towed. It was used to pay toward his overdue tow account.

My friend brought it over and gave it to me.

A Fluke 179, complete with all accessories...
    fluke_179_multimeter.

... and a Leatherman Sidekick that just happened to be inside the case.
    leatherman_sidekick.
    Complete with belt clip.
    leatherman_sidekick_r.
    I asked him if he realized what was inside the case. He let me know that he was well aware. Heck of a guy. I couldn't thank him enough.

8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I've used both Fluke meters and leathermans for years. Can't live without 'em.

9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Never owned a MUT, if I am carrying a multi tool it’s generally a Skeletool. It doesn’t have all the tools and options of most other tools but it’s a big tool by way of hand filling in pliers mode. Other thing is it has a pocket clip. I carry IWB on the strong side, and two mags on the other. Clip knife strong side pocket, Skeletool on the opposite side! I keep other Leathermans or Gerbers in my vehicles GHB and BOB’s!
    What with the AR-15 tools on it you folks are tempting me to spend MUT money!

GOG, Motomom34, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

For what it' worth, a Leatherman AR Mk-2 AND a Micra multi tool are unbeatble for weapons maintenance needs as well as light duty use in other areas. Both combined are a lot smaller and lighter in weight, and do a really good job.

Motomom34 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

$160! Is it gold plated? That seems pretty steep to me - I mean - I know it is good quality but you could purchase two very good, top of the line Multi-tools for $160 buck but...but I will be looking to see if maybe I can catch one on discount on Black Friday. :)

12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

My two bits go for the SOG-PowerAssist-Multi-Tool-B66N-CP.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DZX7C4/?tag=survivalmonke-20

The power assist SOG is the only one I have that has a decent geared needle nose pliers that does not twist when you use it under a heavy strain.
    It has what suits me and you need to try it to understand how good it is.

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  13. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I have a Wingman as my EDC. Great tool.

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Kershaw with vise grip plyers

w9vhe likes this.
  15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I'm Old School... Swiss Army Knife ( Old style Tinker)

(College still gets a little nervous but what they don't see works for me...

Capt. Tyree, Motomom34 and GOG like this.
  16. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

The Tinker is my favorite SAK.

17. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

On your recommendation, I just ordered one of these. I am NOT a fan of most multitools. They tend to be clumsy and notvwell designed for use of the primary tools, and include too many useless gizmos. Haven't found one yet with a can opener that actually works. But I have never paid much either. Never had a big-name brand version.
    Looking forward to putting this SOG unit through it's paces.

Witch Doctor 01 and Motomom34 like this.
  18. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

After using the MUT for a month now, I can give a review and my personal opinion on whether the $160.00 price tag is worth it.

Remember, this tool is for those that are heavy users of the M16/M4/AR 15 series rifles, regardless if you are military, law enforcement, or civilian. The tool was engineered to be used for cleaning and maintaining your personal rifle whether owned or issued. This tool also incorporates what is called the bolt override tool. This is used to clear a jam that has a spent piece of brass or a double feed jam. This is a particular nasty type of jam since the action of “SPORTS”(slap, pull, observe, release, tap, and shoot) will not clear this type of jam. It is something you do not want to happen to you if you are in a combat environment or self-defense type of use. With the MUT, you first drop the magazine, then place the mut’s bolt over-ride tool over the edge of the bolt carrier and pull back the bolt/bolt carrier observing that all brass or rounds that made up the jam has fallen clear of the weapon. You then insert a freaky magazine and go about your business. As a side note. Most of thes types of jams are caused by a faulty magazine. Once this happens in a training situation, wrap a piece of red duct tape around the bottom of the magazine and use it for trading only. In all probabilities, you will experience these jams again with the faulty magazine. With the price of mags being so economical, why not just destroy the mag and replace it with a good one.

Now, on to a very important part, how to keep from losing this tool, I found a simple and cheap pistol lanyard on the Amazon for a few bucks,

319E5AC2-CB3A-453F-86EB-5F30552DE7EE.
    On the MUT,there is a place to attach the lanyards clip
    CAD00A79-97BE-44A5-BD8F-B90666BFC19E.

218D9FC8-9975-4493-8156-3B8173500E7F.
    Now, everything can be packed away securely,
    351E6AEE-9FC1-4725-9F08-F65E22D4F9F7.
    It is overkill for just carrying on your belt, but again, this tool is just too bulky to carry in your pocket and too darned expensive to loose.

If you already have a standard type of Leatherman and do not fall in the MUT’s user group, then please do not waste your money, keep using the multi-tool you have. For those that do fall in the upper groups, the MUT is a great tool to have along side your standard multi-tool.

Mountainman, Zimmy, GOG and 3 others like this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Good review! I'm still on the fence, being old school -16 operator, I can see the full benefits of this tool. However, being old school, I have a separate bolt override tool with shell extractor, so I don' know if I'm going to add this tool! I primariy run a 7.62x51 as my primary and there is no provisions other then a chamber brush adaptor ( which is nice) but not enough to sway my view. The origional AR tool has enough to serve both platforms somewhat, and like I posted before, add in a Micra tool and you just about got it covered. I' going to stop by Leatherman and see if in can meet up with Tim and talk about these tools and maybe see if he would be willing to do a more specific multi tool for the larger rifle segment, even if it were AR specific, if it had better roll pin pushers/take down bits, and rail tools like the separate rail tool they make, I would be all over it!!!

HK_User likes this.
  20. Fatum1965

Fatum1965 DDD

I was issued the MUT EOD years ago. Wasn’t a day that went by when I didn’t use that amazing tool. With the exception of a broken blade tip, the tool held up for many years until it was lost about a year back. No longer in the military, I’ve transitioned to a more, “civilian” styled tool but the MUT is still missed.

Witch Doctor 01 and GOG like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. DKR
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. HK_User
  6. OldDude49
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. hot diggity
  11. Hanzo