Thermoelectric Generator?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Gator 45/70, Jan 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

SB21, Ura-Ki and CraftyMofo like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Interesting... No, I have not even heard of these.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Too expensive unless you are in 4 months of darkness every winter.
    Otherwise buy solar panels. Your money is better spent on solar panel trackers and I think those are a waste of money.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

TEGs are interesting Technology… I have a 240Watt Propane fueled, commercial one …

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

What is the conversion of propane to w/hr rate ? Does the 'waste' heat off burning propane go to use, like to heat a building or something, or merely exhausted to the air ?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@TnAndy This unit I got from a USCG Contractor, who was refurbishing a Mountain Top HiSite in Alaska... It was payment for helping him remove three of them and all the associated Aux Equipment from the site when the USCG switched from TEG Power to Diesel Gensets... These units were only 6 months old, at the time as there was a Snow & Ice Slide at the site that wiped out the TEG Stuff, 6 months before the switch... I got this TEG, the 8VDC to 24Vdc Switching Converter, and a 24Vdc Bank of Absolyte II Batteries, for my days work and Helo rides to the Top of the Mountain...The Burner was vented directly to atmosphere, on the Hot side, but the Cold Side was piped into the Comm Shell near the bottom, and the Comm Shell was vented thru a Temp Controlled Vent, near the top.. The three TEGs were all Remote Controlled from Controller that was on a Microwave Link back to Comm Station Juneau along with the Radio Controls and Bi-Directional Audio for the Site.. When I first got this gear I set it up and tested everything, with a plan to install it as a backup for the 24Vdc Trace Inverter System at our place, with the Cold Side Air ducted into our Powerhouse... I never got around to doing that installation, and it now resides in one of our two 20' Conex Boxes, along with a couple of Backup Diesel Gensets, used for long Term Storage... The TEG burned 1 USG of Propane every 24 Hours and made 5750 Watt-Hours/day of power... It is built by a Canadian Outfit..

TnAndy, Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Nice BT
    North Van company , It will come ,
    CRS has hit
    Sloth

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Motomom34
  3. VisuTrac
  4. Hillbilly549
  5. BenP
  6. BenP