They want clean organic meat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, Jan 16, 2019.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

this is good and bad? more hunters yes but less game?

opinions?

The new “organic” meat: HUNTING animals suddenly popular among young hipsters looking for clean food

If you’re worried about pesticides and want to make sure all the fruits and vegetables you eat are truly local and organic, the only way to be completely sure is to grow them yourself. It may be extra work, but the peace of mind it provides is worth it for many people. But how can you be completely sure the meat you’re eating is local and sustainable? For an increasing number of health-conscious individuals, especially younger people, the answer is hunting.

Although hunting is dropping dramatically in popularity – the number of Americans engaging in the pastime is down 18 percent from 20 years ago – its fortunes could soon turn around as young people take the notion of clean eating to the extreme.

The Georgia Wildlife Federation’s Charles Evans, a hunter recruiter, told the Wall Street Journal: “Earthy crunchy aligns very well with deer hunting.”

There is even a national hunting group looking to capitalize on the trend, the Quality Deer Management Association. The 60,000-member group has established Field to Fork, a project that organizes group hunts and finds recruits at places like farmer’s markets, where representatives offer samples of venison and try to stir up interest in the hobby among those who are already showing a preference for local food sources.

They make it easy for young people to get involved. Trainees use crossbows, skirting any reservations some young people have about guns and vastly increasing the places they can carry out their hunts.

The program uses slogans such as, “Hunters are the original conservationists” and “Harvest your own local meat” – and young hipsters are buying what they’re selling.

Being proactive about clean eating
    Quality Deer Management Association Hunting Programs Manager Hank Forester said that it’s hard to do better than a white-tailed deer when it comes to local and sustainable food. His program offers classes on hunting and cooking venison, and it has attracted a slew of new young hunters. They pair newbies with mentors and train them to use crossbows before taking them out to practice their new skill.

One new hunter, Jennifer DeMoss, had been a vegetarian in the past before reaching the conclusion that humans can eat meat ethically. After eating roadkill meat, the anthropology grad student decided that taking up hunting was the way to go, describing the feeling she got after her first kill as being comfortable and exhilarating while expressing gratitude that an animal sacrificed its life to feed her. She says hunting is now all she can think about, and she goes to the forest in search of her next kill as often as possible.

Another young hunter profiled by the Wall Street Journal, Edwin Pierre-Louis, is a grad student studying parasites who grew up in Haiti. He was interested in learning how to hunt big game, so he signed up for Field to Fork. Meanwhile, Athens Farmers Market Manager Sarah Thurman joined Field to Fork in search of self-reliance, saying that hunting enables individuals to “opt out of the systems of mass production” for food.

Changing the face of hunting

more on site...

The new “organic” meat: HUNTING animals suddenly popular among young hipsters looking for clean food

2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Not to rain on anybodies parade, but I am just a little leary of chronic wasting disease, a little worried about prions and total lack of any medical treatment. YMMV. Mountain states and mid west are having a problem, somewhere between going to wipe out the deer and being harmless depending on which expert you read. I eat deer if I shoot it, cut it up, and cook it. I don't eat anything from the head or near the bones. I really don't know what to think.

Looked into it on net, crows can carry it from eating dead deer, soil where deer were buried can infect deer years later, soil and plants where deer excreted and saliva can take up prions and have them in plant tissue, between 2002 with 260 cases and 2015 with 481 cases of CJ disease, massive numbers of Altsheimers patients who are not autopsied, who knows what is going on. First identified in 1980, by 2018 had spread thru a good portion of US, some in Canada, Finland, Norway, and South Korea. Disease in wild animals is totally obvious, lose weight, stagger around, can't hold up head, drink large amounts of water, excessive urination and drooling, don't know what is going on around them and then die. It was a new disease, not something that they just missed. No attempt to get rid of it has worked to this point.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Zimmy, sec_monkey, Oltymer and 3 others like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Shades of Ted Nugent !

Salted Weapon and chelloveck like this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Sounds like potential for lots of wounded game, needless suffering and wasted meat.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There is much more for these Yahoos to learn, than how to shoot a Firearm.... I wouldn’t worry a lot about the Deer Population, due to this issue...

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yeah, Turn a 1k loose in the woods,Lets see the walking wounded or worse.

sec_monkey and techsar like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

As an antho grad should be well aware of what early humans ate to stay alive.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Sometimes each other! :eek:

Gator 45/70, oldawg and Oltymer like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm good with that.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Long pork, the other white meat...........wait........that's racisss now days.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Mmmm, Bambie it's what's for dinner!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

The only concerns i have deals with property rights and poaching. I busted my butt for what little land that i more or less control. I say who will legally hunt on my land. The one woman mentioned sounded like someone who might ignore legal managed game seasons as well as property boundaries. I will come down like the wrath of God on anyone who invades my garden of Eden.

Zimmy, Thunder5Ranch, Alf60 and 2 others like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think it is great. Good for them. And I have no issue with them learning to hunt with bows instead of guns. Good food is good food. The supermarket has garbage meat or if you buy the good stuff it is very expensive. I do not know anyone who would rather eat cheap supermarket meat vs fresh game. It just seems like a slanted article. If people want to hunt then I say good for them.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You,Ha I'm fighting with these yonks right now!!! Waiting on the LDWF to see what all I can charge them with!!!

1-12-19-1 018.JPG

SB21 and Salted Weapon like this.
  15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Here in Florida you must have written permission from land owner to hunt on their land. Trespass is one thing. Being openly armed while trespassing (hunting or not) is a felony. Simple trespass with no weapon requires a one time notice of trespass and a request for them to immediately leave by closest exit. If they refuse, they then can be arrested immediately. Personally i would consider having an armed trespasser drop their weapons on the ground under the point of a gun, as well as leaving one picture ID. They would then be encouraged to return to their vehicle to await the arrival of the Sheriff's deputies. The ID and Guns would be offered the popo as proof of felony armed trespass.
    I have considered things that could be misconstrued and would be watching closely for the possibility that the trespasser might have other firearms in his vehicle and return to seek to harm me and or retrieve their guns / ID. When I called the Sheriff's office I would inform them I had the ID and guns taken for arrest ID in case he fled, and for my own safety.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Gator 45/70, Alf60 and BTPost like this.
  16. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Trip-line, shotgun shells.......................just saying.........

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. BTPost

Now, now, we all know SetGuns are Illegal, in most States, but Camo Pits Traps with 10Penny Spikes point up from the bottom, are just as effective, especially when they are coated with feces...
    I am being a bit preverse, today...

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hahaha, I know who they are and where they live!
    Get this,I sent a couple of pictures to the local Dairy Queen,20 minutes later I had I.D.'s
    Never underestimate your local D.Q.

Zimmy, oldman11, Bandit99 and 5 others like this.
  19. BTPost

Now that ^^^^^ is funny...

20. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Who needs DHS, when you got D.Q.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7