Things aren't always as they appear

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Hanzo, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Saw this post:

Steve Moore: “Look at the image of the guy in the upper right of this photo. It's deceptive. The photo was taken early last Thursday morning in Thousand Oaks. Tatted and shirtless, pants hanging low on his hips, it's easy to stereotype this guy.

But look close at his tattoos; that's the USMC eagle, globe and anchor tattoed on his chest, half a foot high. He's a Marine Corps Forward Observer. Last month he completed Army jump school -- as a Marine.

I met him years ago on a security team where he was an EMT. We went to the same church. His dad teaches with my sister. My first impression of this tall, gangling kid was he smiled a lot. Then, I realized he just lived life happy. My second impression was that he still took life and his role in the world very seriously.

When I was reporting on the Las Vegas shooting, I learned of a Marine who had shielded a woman with his body. Not until I got home did I find out it was Brendan. Since then, his demeanor hasn't changed one iota. He's never brought it up.

Last week, when I arrived at the scene of the Borderline shooting, I learned that one of the victims inside the Borderline had also been at the Las Vegas shooting. Didn't even register until I heard it was "a Marine." Then I knew.

The reason Brendan is shirtless is that he used his shirt as a bandage. His pants are low because he used his belt as a tourniquet, rendering aid till paramedics arrived.

When I get discouraged with the world, I think of people like Brendan. And when I hear that the shooter was a former Marine, I remember that there were TWO Marines there that night; a damaged, sick individual in spite of his service, and Brendan -- who represents everything the Marines are about.

I have not spoken to Brendan since the shooting, but his facebook posts show his sorrow for the lost and his determination that we will not be cowed by evil.

Oh, and he posted one picture. He was smiling.”

I do not know Brendan, but mahalo for your service, Marine! Semper Fi!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2018
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Thanks for the write up .
    This is the kind of news I like to read.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

This will never make the mainstream news, it is just too rich with what Americans and our young warriors are all about. Wish I could like this post more than once...

GrayGhost, Ura-Ki, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  4. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

As the saying goes, TANSTAAFL. You're only ever going to be 'given' that which someone wants you to have. They're even willing to pay to 'give' it to you. The propaganda war isn't just an AJ meme. There is a war on for your mind.

5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Semper Fi indeed

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7