Thirsty? Think about this the next time you turn on the tap.

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by HK_User, Apr 23, 2018.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

It sure gives you appreciation for what we have, and what others have to do to get it.

chelloveck, Dunerunner and HK_User like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My kids should work as diligently. Primitive but effective. Sure do appreciate water at the tap. I have to wonder how he gets the mud to settle out?

Dunerunner, HK_User and SB21 like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I wondered the same thing. I just figured time.

HK_User likes this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

He was digging in that clay like stuff and didn't even have a real shovel. All materials he used were what nature provided. Amazing. Obviously, it wouldn't work here but no less amazing.

What do you suppose his building permit cost him and wonder if it will pass code?

oldawg, Dunerunner, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  6. HK_User

I imagine it will pass the Code in which he lives and he will provably die young.

I saw this and instantly the story of a Great Grandfather, at the end of a day of hand digging a well, walked inside and collapsed dead.

Dunerunner likes this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

No shovel, pick, or help... amazing!

HK_User likes this.
  8. ghrit

Any society that is advanced enough to record that effort and edit the recording is surely advanced enough to keep him alive and let him put on more "how to" vids. Primitive means and methods DO work, and we can see what might be required some time in the future. Whether he needs those primitive skills or not, he is keeping them alive for posterity. Ya gotta admire that, at least.

Homer Simpson, DarkLight and SB21 like this.
  9. HK_User

I refuse to take the Jab Bar and dig down in this rock to satisfy any youtuber!!!

SB21 likes this.
  10. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Nice but, figure if your an area where water levels rise and fall 20 foot in a season as open pit well can.
    Here people can be killed from a collapse that soil obviously had a high clay content and the depth was less than 6 foot and no rocks no roots either so like a mole digging in soft dirt not a hard task, I am impressed with his attack on his work. I mention this as a caution on digging open pit wells and the soil your digging in. in many areas that seem to have water because of proximity to sea level don't why your guess is a good as mine. There is a problem with sweet drinkable water this man was in a jungle chances of him being in an area where previous sewer and septic systems abound or commercial industry any water would need treatment, also there is runoff from farm land here there are no places where there is not soil that does not have roundup or other herbicide numerous traces of fertilizer and animal fecal matter. This has no bearing on using the water just that it must be filtered and purified.may need to boil as well depending on your on hand equipment or resources to handle water purification.

I know ranchers that have gone broke drilling for water and have to drill so deep that the water comes out hot, another issue is quality some wells produce water with a lot of minerals some have a raunchy sulfur smell. some is so soft a drop of liquid soap feels like it never rinses off. A few areas I know of within a few hundred yards you have sweet water and magnesium laden rotten egg smelling water. Water has killed more people than war due to disease and toxins or minerals like alkali mines have water better know what kind of mining was done there.

ghrit likes this.
  11. ghrit

The message is to know what you are doing, and the dirt you are digging into.

HK_User likes this.
  12. HK_User

Could not have said more succinctly .

13. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Children watch videos and many are injured from mimicking what they see on the Internet.
    Children and novices seldom consider the risk of a project, if they are not informed that there are considerations of safety.
    Single sentence admonishments of the information provided would be of no use to a friend of mines son 15 years old who ran into this problem. He had seen a video on building an underground bunker and proceeded to do so with consequences. He was industrious his hole was about 6x6x6 as he was cutting in making the walls plumb a slab of dirt toppled over on him. People are killed at least one a year and these ditches are not very deep maybe head high and these are contractors, if your bent over or kneeling it is easy to get trapped.
    If you do not like my input or presence post it single sentence snipes from the 2 of you I have ignored but a safety warning and I get sniped that is nonsensical.

14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Safety is always paramount when digging a hole, as well as having a good plan.

chelloveck and HK_User like this.
  15. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

You don't have permission to access :(

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7