Thoughts On Electric Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by cjsloane, Feb 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Mine is an antique, but they are still made.
    This is a Google hit for "froe for sale" no connection to me, nor have I ever dealt with them.

Lehman's Own Old-Fashioned Froe

cjsloane likes this.
  2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

When batoning A froe use a wood or similar material as the baton. Using a hammer or similar will quickly mushroom the backside. Spend a day splitting out shakes or firewood will dang well make you aware of how important a sharp and smooth froe is.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Using a froe, among other things -

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and kellory like this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I did considerable cutting with the Oregon Electric Chain Saw today.

I used up two batteries cutting down or trimming a number of trees that either blew down from our severe windstorms or that were blocking an old trail.

As I said before this is a new type saw to me for it will not be forced but that's OK it just cut away and made me tired holding it.

A good saw, just different. Maybe some jpegs tomorrow.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. HK_User

More Pictures of Electric chain saw use at 10!

I know, why not now? Well it's warm and sunny now and I have to go back out and put things away, after all, how many sunny 68 degree days do you get at the end of January.

6. HK_User

This work was completed in about 45 minutes. The chain saw worked as advertised and the battery pack is 3/4 empty.
    This is the work I started before the Heart Attack. More to do, one tree at a time so we can expand the garden.

Battery was 3 fourths used.JPG

Come along under a strain to start the take down.JPG

Tree is leaning over the chicken pin and needs to be pulled away.JPG

Tree is down.JPG

Tree is down and no damage to the chicken pen.JPG

Tree is down and trunk is off the chicken pen.JPG

What you can't see is that 3 other trees were taken down and a lot of trimming.

The trees had to be dropped between the galvanized box and the chicken pen. Nothing damaged and a good afternoon's work.
    Trimmed now and fresh greens for the cows tomorrow.

Yard Dart and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Since the late 70s, I've burnt firewood for heat. I have a "big" Husky and as I like the torque, an 18" Echo with a 16" bar. An electric is really nice when up a tree trimming; as I find it safer. Depress trigger and it runs; no starting when up a ladder or in a tree.

HK_User and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  8. HK_User

Noise or the lack of it is a good deal. Cooler right now but when warmer the Rattler's noise is over driven by a gas chain saw.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Cruisin Sloth,
    That is one of the reasons why I have the 16" Echo. The electric is similar to a firearm, only don't put your finger on the trigger unless you're going to cut. ;)

@HK_User,
    We both have snake gaiters. Although, they are hot in the summer; however, better than the alternatives. In the mountains, a snake uphill can bite one's thigh.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  10. HK_User

. ;)

@HK_User
    We both have snake gaiters. Although, they are hot in the summer; however, better than the alternatives. In the mountains, a snake uphill can bite one's thigh.[/QUOTE]
    Same here and snake boots. As well, my best laid plan for clearing includes the use of Wildland Fire Pants. Specs on these are 40% Nomex and 60% Kevlar weave. Tough as they come but I've not had a bite that penetrated and even the tough Texas sharpies do not cause damage. I've not seen any test but I hope they would act like the Chain Saw Chaps. At $290 a piece I'll wait on that test, hopefully not at my expense.

11. HK_User

12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

There is a creek down the mountain. Before the cold set in, someone killed a large rattlesnake with 13 rattles.

13. HK_User

Sounds like you know of the Piedmont area.

14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

NE Georgia.

15. Geneva Exile

Geneva Exile Monkey+

Harbor Freight Hardware Sells : A CHICAGO ELECTRIC 16' Inch Bar, Electric Chain Saw .
    I wore out the trigger button on my first one, But that CS was the one I Trained on .

The second one of the same model has lasted much longer because I Baby It , But when It's
    time to test it on a dead Black Locust Tree I'll push that CS till it smokes & then I give
    it a cool off break .

(Extension Cord Not Included)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7