Time For New Pipe :)

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Thunder5Ranch, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Due to my two illnesses one after another over the last 3 years. I missed replacing the stove pipe after its 3rd year, that is about as long as you want to push regular old black stove pipe and then only after you inspect it and make sure it is strong enough to get through a 3rd winter. Ideally I would have a piece of 6" oilfield pipe set in concrete in the ground and going 20' up with a T welded onto it and another 3' of 6" going through the wall and connected to black pipe and 90 degree elbow from the stove to the 90. But I am cheap and have not found any oilfield pipe since I brought the new cabin in, and I am too lazy to pull 4 feet of concrete encased pipe out of the ground by the old mobile home and then bust all of the concrete off and replant it :) So I am just using cheap black pipe for now.

A lot of folks like to go through the roof, myself I prefer going through the wall and putting a triple wall ..... wall pill in for the pipe to go through. And those heat resistant pads they sell to go under the stove... I screw four of those onto the wall and cut a hole in one for the wall pill. Been doing it this way for ever and never managed to burn a house down yet :)

On the outside pipe, I cut a section of the pipe out that I can get my hand in. and I cut a section of black pipe in half long ways and about 6"-8" long that will cover the hole and leave enough overlap for screws. I put a bead of stove cement around the hole and then screw the cut in half pipe onto the main pipe to close it back up. The reason being with it going through the wall ash from the stove and creosote that drops down from the up pipe build up in the outside 90. About every 4-6 weeks through the burn season I unscrew that half pipe and clean the 90 out. That is a really bad place to have a creosote fire....... Managed to do that once and it burned hot enough that it burned the side out of the stove pipe. Setting the creosote aside ash will build up there to the point that it restricts the outflow enough that it will back smoke up and out the stove and in to the house. Not a problem if you take the pipe up through the roof as all that crap just drops back down into the stove. Why go through the wall then? I like the 3' of pipe horizontal in the house and have a home brewed heat exchanger attacked to it that works great on horizontal pipe but not so hot on vertical pipe. I would also have to go through the loft floor as well as the roof and then use triple wall pipe and then dick around on the roof getting the cover sealed and yeah I am lazy and through the wall is just a lot easier :)

My stove is a 20 year old Voglezang and I am not seeing anything like it on the Voglezang website but this one is kind of close. 2469E Cast Iron Wood Stove I am a die hard Voglezang fan :) My stove loaded up and at full burn will have you opening doors and windows when it it 10 degrees outside. It also has the removable cooking plates on top and from the time it gets cool until spring almost everything we cook is cooked on the wood stove. Something about a big cast iron pot of stew simmering on the stove on cold winter evening that just makes everything in the world right :)

Yep it was time to replace the 3 winters one spring and summer old pipe :)
    DSC00392.JPG
    I only go 10 feet up. Need to loosen the single screw and straighten the pipe up and then put 3 more screws in each section. I had a old section of TV antena tower I planted in the ground and strap screwed onto the wall. We get some real strong winds in the winter and it really stabilizes the stove pipe.
    DSC00390.JPG

Side View farther out.
    DSC00391.JPG

Bandit99, BenP, Dunerunner and 9 others like this.
  2. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Nice work on the repairs. And you are absolutely correct, a fresh pot of coffee and a pot of stew simmering on the stove make everything seem just right. I personally do not have a wood stove, but do a few relative in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that do.

3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Ok I was going to say I think the indoor stove pipes on my grandmothers 2 wood stoves in maine only got replaced about once every 20 years or so.
    Both wood stoves had brick chimneys no need to mess with the outside portion very often.

5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

The nasty ass meds have helped a lot, even if drinking a gallon per week of them is DISGUSTING. 1000X Better than I was 6 weeks ago but still feel terrible and like walking death but I am at least semi functional again.have about 2 really bad days out of 7 and 1 really good day and the other 4 days are somewhere in between. Go to the hospital day after tomorrow for another scope down the throat to see how much the meds have shrunk it down and then we decide if another 6-8 weeks of meds are in order or to just do the surgery and cut all the bad stuff out. Personally I thinking more meds and the surgery in January since the meds more maintaining me at semi functional and January and February are the two months of the year where I don't have a whole lot to do and can take it easy.

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Brick Chimney and Portable building turned into a cabin on RR ties would not get along well. About 2x per year I have to jack up here and there 1/2" to 1" and shim it to keep it level. That would eventually screw up the pipe meeting the chimney right.

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[chopper] :)

Dunerunner likes this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Side View farther out.
    DSC00391.JPG [/QUOTE]

Nice creative way of supporting the pipe stack. (y)

9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

LOL gotta get that old chair and that pressure gate that really made me mad over to the burn pile. The chair broke and flipped me over backwards and the pressure gate broke the first time I used it, both the same day! So I chucked them off the porch in one of my "Nothing is made worth a damn anymore!" rages. I get so damn sick of buying something new that on the surface looks decent only to find the working parts are made of the cheapest junk that can be found!!! Calm Mike Calm..... no raging today LOL.

Bandit99, Dunerunner, techsar and 4 others like this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Has my TV antena up there to, or rather the wife's TV antena that I need to climb back up and put back on before she gets home :)

11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A double duty feature...I like that even better....bonus points to you. (y)(y)

12. BenP

BenP Monkey++

My stove pipe is looking rough, I need to find something that is more durable, this is a weak link in my preps.

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  13. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I don't mind looking rough.......... its when you can stick a finger through the side of it that I get worried :)

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Still have a Vogelzang boxwood "stove," new in the crate. When we got a real wood stove we realized what a poor design the Vogl was/is.
    What can you expect from a chinese stove?

15. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Thunder5Ranch Why not use some better pipe than that single wall stuff? I believe the double walled pipe lasts a hell'va lot longer than 3 years but admit I am not sure how long but certainly longer than 3 years. Pain in the butt to do that every 3 years...

We go through the ceiling but with your cabin I see why you went through the wall, that 90 degree elbow will collect a lot more of the creosote. I got a 45 degree (so we could miss a support beam) and it collects more there than the rest of the pipe.

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have seen some US made, in maine actually, single wall stove pipe that is stainless steel.
    Might be good for out side.

I would only use black stove pipe inside.
    As flat black is the ideal surface for infrared emissivity.
    Plus the chrome oxide layer on hot stainless makes funny smells, my guess it it catalyzes air to make nitrogen oxides possibly even ozone as it changes colors.

17. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Used the double wall and it actually lasted half the time of the single. The inner pipe rusted out before the outer, my theory is it gets a lot of condensation in high humidity areas between the walls and coupled with the corrosive environment inside the pipe doubled the oxidation rate. Yeah that 90 collects everything from ash to creosote........ that is why I cut a hole on the bottom and screw a half pipe over the hole :) Lets me clean it out on a regular basis without knocking pipe apart. Had I gone through the loft floor and roof the black pipe would last for a lot of years and I would have used triple wall stainless to go through the roof and the loft floor to the roof.
    All things considered my system is not bad and it is low cost. $80 give or take every 2 years for pipe 90s and some scrws and around a hour to knock the old pipe off and mount the new one. Hardest part of it climbing the tower to ratchet the steel bands around a tower leg and the pipe top, bottom and center.

Bandit99 likes this.
  18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

How many feet of rise do have inside from top of stove to your 1st 90 elbow , and do you put your damper closer to the stove or to the elbow ? Just wondering as I'm wanting to get mine set up and I'll be going thru the wall as well .

19. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Stainless is expensive and last 4-5 years it oxidizes bad where the sections join outside. Can buy 3.5 sections of black pipe to 1 section of stainless and in the long run get 2-3 more years for the same $$$ spent at the cost of the time of knocking the old pipe off and slipping the the new pipe on.

What I really need to do is just break down and buy another 30' piece of this :)
    182939191_118128_lp.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7