To SBR or Not To SBR... That is my question.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by JediWoodsman, Oct 20, 2020.

1. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

Ok all, After my 5.56 vs 300blk thread, I now have more questions for those of you that know what you are talking about.
    Do I go SBR or AR Pistol.. What are the pros/cons.
    Here is what I know so far
    AR Pistol Cons: Must use pistol brace, No front vertical grip, ATF could change their "opinion" on the legality at any time.
    Pros: its still short barrel, treated like a pistol in regards to all other laws (carrying, having in vehicle ect)
    SBR Cons: must be registered with the feds. Something about transporting across state lines (you need permission or something?) Treated as a rifle (might be a pro too?)
    Pros: Totally legal no matter what ATF thinks. Use whatever stock and accessories I want.

And the list of what I don't know: Are there any other requirements when you own an SBR? Special storage requirements? do/can the feds just show up and demand to see it whenever they want? Can I let other people shoot it? Can I swap the upper if I want to shoot a different caliber (for either the ARPistol or SBR)?

What am I missing to make my choice?

JediWoodsman

Bonus Question: If I get a Silencer does that negate the Pros of the Pistol since I added a NFA item to it. (Double Bonus, can I move a silencer from one gun to another or is it registered to the gun?.. Man, there is a lot I don't know)

Sorry for the rambling nature of that post. Run on sentences are my super power.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2020
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

No special storage requirements but a couple of drawbacks outside the $200:
    1. If you sell an NFA item such as an SBR it has to be transferred as a NFA item, so it's a little more difficult to sell.
    2. If you travel to or through a different state(s) they must be ones where an SBR is legal and you have to fill out paperwork in advance.

Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  3. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

With SBR’s you will have a increase in muzzle blast and flash.

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Pay the $200 and you kill the "what's a pistol brace, what's an SBR" this week debate that the ATF sees fit to change when ever they sense a shift in the political winds.
    I'm going to SBR a lower.
    That way I can run like a 12 inch barrel (probably in 5.7x28 for me) and run a full sized M4 style stock.
    But wholly cow the blast on a 10 inch 5.56 gun is crazy.

Oh if your gun isn't in NFA configuration the ATF doesn't care if you temporary move it. Say you have a sawed off shot gun and put it back to joe biden approved configuration to go bird hunting next state over and leave the short barrel at home, ATF doesn't want to hear about it.

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

SBR all the way, fugheddaboutit on a pistol with a "Brace" as the ATF has always been shakey on them, besides, it's way cooler having a real stock and being able to use the tool as intended! Why not go all out and make it a double and put a can on it, twice as useful and you can be the coolest guy you know! Lol
    Seriously, the pistol thing is gonna get interesting in the next year or so, and it's best to jump through the hoops now rather then deal with the coming storm on the horizon!

SB21, Yard Dart, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

1)NO. A suppressor is it's own NFA item, meaning you would need a stamp for it as well as one for a SBR if you went that route.

2)Yes. Again, it's the suppressor that's an NFA item, not the weapon.

7. JediWoodsman

Well, I don't have any friends, so I'm already the coolest! (y)
    Ever since reading up on here, I have been leaning toward going the SBR route. I just haven't been sure if other than the crossing state line things, that there would be other restrictions or hoops to jump through.
    Anyone have one of the NFA trusts? I currently have a trust that the homestead is in as well as my vehicles and a few other things, can I just add the SBR or is an NFA trust something totally different?

ps. thanks for indulging the many, many questions I have had on the site recently. This really is the best place on the internet!

Yard Dart, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

NFA requires it's own trust, basically, as it's a "restricted item" it would need to be named to a specific person, otherwise, they wouldn't be able to own it, or transfer it to their name!

As far as other restrictions, really, the only one is when you travel out of state, and if your traveling to a state that doesn't recognize such NFA items!
    It's super easy to do, just call the ATF, let them know when and where, and how long, and they will e mail the papers to you to fill out and send in, easy peesy!

3M-TA3 and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

One last thought to pass on!

Being a NFA listed firearm, it "SHOULD" be held harmless for any further restrictions, even at local and state levels, though in practice, the states do what ever the hell they want, but still, it might keep you out of trouble for a little while if/when things go the way we think they will!

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

If you ever intend to go across statelines with an NFA item, you'll need to ask permission first.
    That can be a deal killer on it if your live in one state and intend to bug out to your cabin in the woods in another.

11. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I don’t you need anything as easy as papers to let the gov know your identity or were you are at any given time. You could not run and hide without the gov coming for you,No.
    [flag][flag]

12. JediWoodsman

So, am I to understand, that I can swap the upper as I decide to try different calibers or barrel lengths? I guess that makes some sense as the lower is the NFA item, but it kinda surprises me because as I understand, if you put a 16inch upper on a AR Pistol, you can never put the short barrel back on (that might just be internet fear mongering, but it is what I have heard)

Interesting.....

13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I think it's the other way around. You can not put a pistol barrel on a lower that was originally designed as a rifle w/o a SBR tax stamp. but if it was originally a pistol, you can have any barrel length you want (just don't change out the stock to a non pistol)

3M-TA3 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Your supposed to put what calibers the SBR is going to be and a range of measurements for possible barrel lengths and stock configurations.
    You can put 1 barrel length and 1 over all length, that's what I did before I knew you could do a range of measurements.

15. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

A couple of things to add.
    The BATFE ALWAYS cares about NFA weapons. Just because you put a 16" barrel on an SBR'ed AR doesn't make it any less of an SBR. You have to request an SBR/SBS be taken off the registry in writing and have it acknowledged that it was taken off the registry, before "the ATF doesn't care if you temporary move it". They may not be tracking it's whereabouts constantly, but if it comes up in an investigation and you don't have an approved ATF Form 5320.20 at time of transport across state lines, then you are in violation of Federal law.
    Form 1 SBR's and SBS's are not very good for re-sale. You can have the engraving done in an out of plain sight area, but it still has your name, city, and state on it and most people turn their noses up at that.
    I have talked to an ATF agent at a gunshow about the barrel length/caliber of SBRs and was told that as long as it can be readily brought back to the length/caliber that is stated on the tax stamp form, then that was all you need. But every agent has their own opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
    I will not go the "pistol brace" route as I have always stated that the ATF will change their minds about it and they have and will do so again I'm sure. I've SBR'ed two AR lowers, a Spikes and an Anderson, and I've also SBR'ed a Glock 22, a CZ Scorpion, and an AK pistol, along with a few SBS's. I did those because they are fun and a $200 tax stamp is a whole lot less than what I would pay a lawyer to "lessen" the amount I would spend in Federal prison for breaking NFA laws.
    Do not be afraid of jumping into the NFA world, just be ready to spend more money. The "I'll just get an SBR" will turn into "and a suppressor would be nice" and then into "I could really use an SBS to compliment the SBR".....

16. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

If I remember correctly from my firearms dealer days, also if you've got an NFA tax stamp on an item, you cannot loan that item out even if you are present. So you couldn't teach your son/daughter grandson/daughter to shoot one if you are really in compliance with the NFA.

Do people do it? Sure. I saw a guy on You Tube who actually admitted he was testing a supressor that he borrowed from a friend. However, given the uncertainties within the BATFE these days, who knows what they will try to take away from us next.

Can I let someone else shoot my Silencer?

17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7