Today is Pearl Harbor Day.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seawolf1090, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The "Day That Will Live In Infamy"! We must never forget.

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Amen to that!

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Dunerunner like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thank you, I needed the reminder. Time to re-read "Day of Infamy."

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

As viewed from my ship docked at Bravo Pier, every morning.....

[​IMG]

5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

When I first entered the service, I actually worked for an old retired Warrant that was the Chief of the Communication Center at Pearl when it was attacked. He was the engineer for our Battalion, a GS-15. It was a special sort of Battalion as we went around installing new communications equipment and/or training troops on the new equipment. I remember the pen he had on display in a special case that signed the contract to install the huge microwave communication system throughout Vietnam, probably a billion dollar contract...

What an interesting guy. I idolized him. He said that they had the Comm Shed torn apart for maintenance when the Japs attacked and they restored it in record time. Luckily, it wasn't hit. He was always critical of the Marines because he felt they always got the praise and acknowledgment associated with the Pacific conflicts and the Army was left out. He was on some island (I can't remember which) and the Japanese had broken through the Marine line somewhere and got in their rear where his Comm shed was located. He was bayoneted when he ran out of the shed to see what was happening. I will always remember his answer when I asked, "So, what happened?" He simply said, "I blew his head off." He was one tough old bastard and a good role model for a young soldier.

Mountainman, Ura-Ki, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  6. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

I was at Pearl just over a year ago (when Obama visited Hawai to dedicate some marine park).
    The place was crawling with Japanese.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Is there a good movie to watch re: Pearl Harbor I have seen that one that was made in 2001 and it was okay but the boys disliked the sappy romance in the movie.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[salute] [salute]

Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You know MM34, I am a self-admitted amateur historian and a real WW2 aficionado, not sure why but probably has something to do with how the war truly affected my family and - well - me, even though I wasn't born yet. Hell, most of my earliest childhood memories have something to do with that war...but not to get too long winded here...

I cannot think of a really good Hollywood Pearl Harbor film ever produced; however, there are some very good contemporary documentaries. Many of the older documentaries are really nothing more than propaganda but interesting if one watches them in that light.

I think "Tora! Tora! Tora!" was probably the best Hollywood version of Pearl Harbor it was pretty good but leaves much to be desired. And, there is not much in the way of background giving reasons why things turned out as they did for instance Japan's war machine had but 6-18 months of fuel left due to the USA's embargo and could not continue conquest even to obtain that fuel without the USA's wrath and their fleet in their rear so... (Note: Can one say that we were even fighting about oil as far back as 1941?) For details of the 'why and how' one must go elsewhere.

For documentaries, I can highly recommend the following however these are not Pacific specific and the first has nothing to do with that side of the war. I could blather on and on about them, both are excellent. The first is more answering the big question of "Where did the Nazis come from and how did the happen?" Very interesting, should be in all High Schools instead of the tripe they are given (BTW it's the same that we were given or even worse). The second, is presented with an excellent narrator and excellent film footage and moves in bite size portions. As stated, both are excellent.:
    BBC's "The Nazis - A Warning From History"
    BBC's "BBC History of World War II"

Anyway, for what it is worth, here are a few recommendations that are spot-on and I know you would like.

Ura-Ki, SB21, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I had to call two local restaurants that fly the flag this morning. I politely reminded them of the date and the flag protocol for today. Less than 5 minutes and both were correctly at half-mast.

Seawolf1090, Bandit99, Ura-Ki and 5 others like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

One of my Grandfathers was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed.
    He was a navigator on an ocean going freighter.
    He and his ship crew received several medals for rescuing as many men as possible that day.

12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

May God Bless all of our WW11 veterans. They are truly our greatest generation. The veterans received the glory from this war, but we also need to remember the ones that tried to join but couldn't because of military standards. Their heart was there, but just couldn't make the cut. And a few even committed suicide from the guilt of not being able to serve their duty. And then the way this country came together to support the war, young and old , men women and children , sacrificed and did their part to support the war effort. All of this in a way that I don't believe could ever happen again in this country. I feel that the best days of this country are behind us , and it is a very sad feeling. I was brought up to have pride and respect for this country , and I feel very few are being raised that way today , or so it seems.
    God Bless them all.

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My uncle was stationed aboard the New Mexico when we were attacked. He stayed aboard ship through out the entire conflict and was put ashore when the Mex was decomissiond. He passed away in 1949 from what was believed to be tuberculosis, he was only 31 years old. He gave my dad several pictures of the New Mexico passing the wrecks including the Arizona, dad still has all those pictures, and two hang in the living room, one from the bridge of the Mex and the other from the bridge of the Preeble as the ships sailed past and all sailors on deck in dress whites rendering honors!
    We'e huge WW2 historians, and we are forever fascnated by the entire conflict from all sides!

Bandit99, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

On Dish Network today, they had a lot of Pearl Harbor programs on both History (120) and AHC (195).

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7