Top 10 Survival Items

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Gator 45/70, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

offgrittyt and Dunerunner like this.
  2. One of these videos praises the ALICE pack. Well I have one but have never needed to live out of one. Many years ago several writers maintained the frame in particular was subject to breakage and unreliable. Does anyone have experience with prolonged use of ALICE packs?

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

HATE ALICE packs, they are bulky, weak framed, and limited in space and organisation! They were OK once, but things have improved far beyond what they were! Do love ALICE belts and gear, but that's about it!
    I run a 20 year old Kelty Red Cloud 5600 inch internal frame pack, while it's not as slick as the ols external frame packs, it's way easier to set up and adjust for layers, and it carries a YUGE load and it's very well organized and laid out very well!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3M-TA3, duane, snake6264 and 3 others like this.
  4. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I have a few of them. the frames will always crack at the hip belt attachment points, and lack of internal compartments make them a duffle bag with shoulder straps. I use them to store sleeping bags in...

DuxDawg, duane, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Lancer, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have a few backpacks, mostly from the days I used to live for the trail. Two have aluminum external frames and are as strong as new even though they had the hell abused out of them. One was welded solid and the other is an expedition grade Jansport made when they were still being made in the US. Very comfortable but squeaks as the frame is made from modular parts.

I prefer internals frames except when it's hot - that's where an external shines as there is at least some ventilation between your back and the frame. You aleo don't have to worry as much about weight distribution.

Internals are more comfortable and keep the pack weight closer to the body. When I made the move to internals back in the 80's I got in house REI packs and they were excellent. The larger of the two had a plastic yoke/subframe that attached to the straps. When I pulled it out a few years ago the plastic was weak and brittle. Not a fan of long term plastic viability.

My current Yuge pack is a Marpat Filbe. No way would I ever consider carrying it fully loaded these days, but it has enough straps to efficiently carry a smaller load. The FILBE is a military version of the Arc’teryx Borea an excellent expedition mountaineering pack. The difference between the military and civilian version is the use of heavier camo fabric and some extra details like a pull strap, external hydration flap, quick release shoulder straps and drain holes. It's also a bit heavier due to the heavier fabric. The jury is still out on this bag since I haven't put in trail time in with it. It may be just too big and heavy, but the price was right and included the 72 hour pack which "docks" to the back.

I prefer a one or two internal compartments. I organize my gear in kits (kitchen, bedroom, food, navigation, first aid) which can either be in stuff sacks or in bags intended to be lashed to the outside. I simply load them into the bag with the most urgent and the most commonly needed closest to the top. I don't like bags that overdo organization as I like my own.

In reality any of the top brands make comfortable and durable packs, but for survival purposes would steer away from the ultralight versions. If I were to pick a civilian pack I would take a hard look at the Osprey Aether. It's fully customizable for waist belt, back length, shoulder straps and has an intriguing back ventilation system. It also comes in a blend in to the background green color.

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I also got a RUSH24 and RUSH72 if I do get something larger it will definitely be another 5.11 ruck. I think they are the best on the market.

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7