TOTM April 2016- When is enough enough?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 1, 2016.

1. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I'm in a similar boat to Melbo. We also spend about 20% of our disposable income on preps and 80% on fun. We do vacation and own various "toys". We just make sure to bring some preps on vacation to increase the likelyhood we make it home in the event tshtf.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I've started a new thing for our household, every year I have a main area of focus for 'prepping', this year will most likely be my health, was going to be eliminating waste and maximizing space . This month the issue seems to be my back. And I want that fixed...if my back is useless, we're SOL. Taking 10 minutes to get out of bed is not going to cut it in an emergency. OPSEC is dependent on your specific living conditions. I don't think BTPost has to worry about being overrun that much, just like I don't have to worry about high levels of sophistication for attacks perpetrated by locals. However, in a society down scenario, I do have contingency plans that I am not telling ANYONE about, to prevent any trouble. Sure I don't think there will be any expert strategists in our area, but that doesn't mean anything. A simple plan can beat a multi-step complex plan, because the complex plan is relying on every step going as planned.

oldawg, GOG, BTPost and 4 others like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

No you were mean and you are clueless. In the future instead of putting down my parental skills and slamming my children, you should either ask for clarification or avoid my posts because you obviously do not read them anyways.

Asia-Off-Grid, hitchcock4 and Ganado like this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I was responding to these comments. Re-rereading the post as a whole, I think that I see some wording that was not clear the first couple of times I read it, but these stuck out.
    And those comments bother me.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It's a bonus if your preps are also your creative outlet or extracurricular activity. ;)

I think of it in this way --everything we see around us now is an illusion perpetuated by an intrinsic dependency on the energy grid. We go to school to be educated for a job so we can work tirelessly to pay for our rent, food, expenses, and utilities. Every one of these can be eliminated simply by taking charge of ones own life and becoming self-sufficient. Of course, the 'Earthship' lifestyle is being turned into an illegal activity in virtually every State as we speak, but that's because of the danger it poses to the established matrix. If everybody lived in an energy efficient home which created its own energy, collected its own water from rain, sustained the inhabitants with food grown inside of it because its design is much like a greenhouse, and it keeps relatively the same temperature annually so there is virtually no heating or cooling requirement --what would this do to the "reality" most people have come to accept?

Prepping = self sufficiency = knowledge and power

If I had "friends" who were intelligent enough to grasp this concept and who were brave enough to accept the reality we are all facing, I would present this very simple dynamic to them and let it rest. There's no need to tell them about conspiracy theories and aliens or Alex Jones and what country the President is really from. Give them the opportunity to create the solution in their own minds. Freedom exists only with the absence of the State.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And therefore, does not exist at all beyond a concept.

mysterymet and Brokor like this.
  7. Brokor

Of course, one might argue that there are various levels of freedom, too. It is important for me to note that my earlier statement should include the adage, 'absolute' to freedom. It is absolute freedom to exist without the presence of the State, and it was kind of you (and insightful) to complete the argument @ghrit . The framers of this "nation" were not ignorant to the fact that government has a tendency to consume every last vestige of freedom, and they did lay out the groundwork to contain it as best they could at the time. The Articles of Confederation, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution itself are all documents of this battle to contain limited government. The goal was to create a society which could stand as free as possible while maintaining the least amount of governance deemed necessary for the security of the whole. Naturally, like a chia-pet which was fed a healthy dose of Miracle-Grow, it (government) blossomed into a corporate monster of epic proportions, and it exists only to perpetuate itself. No, not only this. The people have come to a point in which they, too support and defend it, whether it be from nationalistic pride or sense of duty, all of their reasoning is based on ignorance to what truly exists. This brings us back to the topic at hand, self reliance and preparedness. To me, there is no better way to explain the entirety of duty to the republic than to be self-sufficient, because there exists no burden on others to provide other than what is necessary to maintain each household independently. In the many ways "government" has crept into our daily lives and matters of privacy, perhaps the most prevalent has long been the myth of dependency for it to exist for our very survival.

Ganado, GOG and Motomom34 like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Good subject for another thread, if philosophy is needed ---

Tikka, Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  9. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Chocolate cream pie is also needed ;) Anyways, the reason I am basically trying to turn this place into a homestead(in spirit, not legally) is because then outside influences are null and void. As I said in a different thread a while back, if you're relying on others to protect YOUR freedom, you don't have any.

TXKajun, GOG and Tikka like this.
  10. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

My wife died this past December 12th after the wretched ugliness of early onset Alzheimer's Disease. We moved here to our BOL about 3.5 years ago but other than stowing supplies, water and some odds and ends my time was spent caring for my wife.

Now I vacillate between wanting to help my friends and neighbors and not caring about anything at all.
    I realize that I'm experiencing the emotions that go with the loss of my wife. (She really WAS the love of my life.)

I have enough bandages, bullets and beans and I try to learn new stuff on a regular basis, but being alone is really changing my perspective on prepping and survival.

Asia-Off-Grid, GrayGhost and T. Riley like this.
  11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Sympathies friend. Hard thing to go through. Best wishes.

Ganado and GOG like this.
  12. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I lost my wife last July. 8 months, and I'm still not back to what I consider normal. It's a good day when I clean up more than I mess up!. My condolences to you GOG, I know all too well what you are going through. I have a job that I love, and good friends and neighbors. I have been teaching others, and are getting more of them on board with preparing for emergencies, social activity has been a help to me in getting through each day.

GrayGhost and GOG like this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[angel][angelsad]

14. Brokor

[​IMG]
    Positive motivation is critical to our type (prepper, survivalist, outdoorsman, hunter, conservationist, etc.) because we typically do not fully adhere to the principles and edicts which constrain the large percentage of people (yuppies, clones, zombies, etc.)

We've all lost loved ones, but losing the love of your life must be a great challenge to deal with. My only advice to help keep you on track is to regain focus and commitment to your core principles and find a need to keep going on, whatever it takes. Giving up is easy, it always is easy because it takes the least amount of thought and effort. I lost both my parents this past year, but I have always been alone in this world, too. I have the fortune (it's a matter of perspective, remember) of being strong-willed and determined to see this all through. What do you believe in? Who are you? These are very important questions which require a great deal of meditation. You truly have no limitations beyond your control. Your potential is only limited by your desire, and of course --time itself.

This also fits nicely on topic, because we really cannot spend "too much" time and effort on positive reinforcement, motivational thinking, and constructive reasoning to sort out the problems in our lives (such as debt consolidation). There's much to be disheartened over given the global situation and especially politics in general, yet we should always make an effort to inspire ourselves to be creative, start a new project, be more resourceful, and encourage others of like-mind to take the initiative and turn something into a positive and hopeful scenario.

Motomom34, kellory, GrayGhost and 2 others like this.
  15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Once I got past what I think we will need to survive our first year, I started working on long term survival issues; better solar, deep well, garden expansion, outhouses, smokers, long term housing, metal works, canning and preserving, and most of all, trying to remember or learn again what my grandparents knew.

GOG and Ganado like this.
  16. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Prepping is a part of life...it's a process, not a destination. There will always be things that need to be done...or done better...so I don't obsess over that I haven't done, shoulda done, or coulda done better...I just live, one day at a time, doing what I can, when I can, when I feel like it. As long as there is incremental progress, I am moving forward and I am happy....as happy as a flawed, damaged, dipstick like me can be. ;)

kellory, GOG, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  17. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Very well stated post, @Brokor.

18. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

It's all about balance. You can't let any one thing consume you.

Live your life to the fullest, without fear or hesitation. Love your family and friends. Continue to learn. Do try to help and encourage others. If after all of this you move forward daily, even a step, you have done well.

GOG likes this.
  19. mumbles

mumbles Neophyte Monkey

New obviously... but need help. Keep finding new videos an articles about the govt an how they r conducting crop dusting but in a larger scale with 747s jet planes... someone plz if u read this take notice an msg me with as much info as possible to protect my family or how to get to someone that can help .. skilled welder, mechanic great with my hands. Family of soon to be 4. Msg me here or if u need another way I'll give my address phone to get in touch to start this off... Ik survival isn't easy. But with trusted friends we can do it.. more then ok to up an leave. With some help.

GOG likes this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You are talking about chem trails. The info you are looking for is here-

PFT - Former BC Premier on Chemtrails... | Survival Monkey Forums

GOG and mumbles like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848