TOTM April 2016- When is enough enough?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 1, 2016.

1. mumbles

mumbles Neophyte Monkey

Yes. Basically spreading insecticide ... Anyways need to search for ppl to help .. helping being getting us off grid an to a safer place if possible

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Welcome to the monkey.
    The theory behind Chem trails, is they are spraying mostly aluminum dust, to reflect sunlight back out and slow global warming.
    There are those who believe strongly in this theory, and there are those who have some serious doubts as to the stories.
    I would suggest a calm response, because if it is real, it is everywhere, and if it is false, then making life changes to counter it are meaningless.
    Follow the evidence that you can prove. Physics, money, equipment that MUST exist if this is true, and those who MUST fill and service that equipment. Then make your own decisions based upon all available facts. Good hunting.

Tikka and GOG like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Back on topic.....

^^^^ this. The mainstream media depicts our type as the chicken little's, always running screeching the sky is falling. Whether doom happens or not, somehow one has to keep up the positive. I have no clue if doom will happen. It was nice being a sheep and keeping up with the Jones. It actually is easier mentally to have blinders on.

My memories from Y2K- many thought this is it, computers will be down, society will collapse. Some became frantic, squirreling things away, ready for Armageddon. While Australia put on an amazing fireworks show to welcome in 2000, the US waited for the world to stop (not literally). Remember all this:

Y2K-resize-912x1024.

It did not happen. We sailed thru the Y2K panic/ crisis and I wonder what lessons were learned from that. Maybe I chose the wrong title to this topic. When I ask when is enough enough, it is not goods and preps, the question is more of how consuming, mentally should prepping be.

Yard Dart and GOG like this.
  4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

I think mentally, it shouldn't be consuming at all. It just a mind-set, looking at things differently. Just something done involuntarily.

To name a few: situational awareness, repurposing items, repair instead of just replacing something, getting that extra bag of beans....those things can come without much thought. Just a habit.

I may not be scratching the right itch here, who knows...just thinking out loud.

GOG, Motomom34 and ghrit like this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

My take is that "enough" is (or should be) a matter of having the knowledge and resources to not merely survive, but to thrive throughout life. Being a packrat doesn't provide the full needs that will be encountered - that would only be a stop-gap measure.

"Enough" is where one can go day to day, or even month to month, without needing to scramble for the necessities required to enjoy life. It is a mindset, a lifestyle if you will, that enables one to move forward in a smooth comfortable pace. Having preps, be it food, fuel, clothing or whatnot is nothing if you lack the mental fortitude to want to succeed.

Don't get me wrong...having supplies is important. But knowing how to use and produce them yourself, along with the will to prosper takes precedent.[2c]

Those are just a few random thoughts I have on the subject.

BlueDuck, Motomom34 and GrayGhost like this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

When I insisted on buying a generator (with the proceeds from MY boat sale) I was told how we didn't need that, and it was a waste of money that could be used for so many other things.
    That generator has saved our freezer load of food several times over now, and long paid for itself in cost savings. I now have two. One as a backup or a loaner as needed.
    My wife has breathing equipment that helps her breath, and we now know that of the power goes out, it is not a major thing, if it isn't back on in a reasonable time, or it's in danger of things thawing, or she needs her equipment, it is just a matter of a few minutes work and the power is flowing as needed.
    Having the ability to shrug off what is a calamity for others, is priceless.

GOG and Motomom34 like this.
  7. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Knowing you can care for yourself and your family is a good feeling indeed.

GOG and kellory like this.
  8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Enough is enough when your preps reach the date that says they are expired.

GrayGhost likes this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have always prepped just because I like being self-sufficient. We don't even need to factor in the doom and gloom to do the right thing. But, as far as the SHTF and doom coming --that is inevitable. No nation lasts forever, especially this one run by the corporate oligarchy. So, it is better to plan ahead as best as you can, worry only about what you can change, and try not to let the fear of societal breakdown, rampant disease, viral outbreak, poisoned food and water, Rockefeller medicine, natural EMP or nukes worry you too much.

That's me turning a frown upside down, basically. Best I can do. ;)

10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I dont believe I can reach a level of preparedness that is enough. Every part of what we have done is lacking. I have power for 1 hour per week for 10 years or 1/2 hour per week for 20 years. I cant imagine what it would take in cost to even begin to have unlimited electric power. Long term food stores dont last long enough for my grand children and sooner or later these wood stoves will wear out and be worthless. Ill run out of gasoline before that. My answer is Ill have what I feel is enough for my family.

Motomom34, BlueDuck, GOG and 2 others like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

good answer@kingfish and I think that was one of the things @Motomom34 was asking, what is enough for you and your family. I have enough prepped for 4 people for a year and it could be extended if I need too ration. I'm taking a break and looking at what additional resources I am willing to store, save for, or put into the mix for longer time frame or more people.

Its good to see what others think with regard to this topic. Thank you all for contributing![biggrouphug]

GOG likes this.
  12. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

I agree with you @Motomom34 there. I have a 11-year-old. While old enough to understand things -- I don't want to be Mr. Doom and Gloom for the kid. Teach the kids slowly. Teach them skills when you can. Even just something simple like how to start and stop the generator. Teach them to be aware of the surroundings (I'm sure we all have).
    For 6 and under (even 8 and under) I think you could certainly scare your own kid from doing anything/being anyone. Yes, if TEOTWAWKI happens then I and my kid could be doomed. But the preps need to done slowly in some cases.

Motomom34 and GOG like this.
  13. Land Chickie

Land Chickie Monkey

I love this. My husband, our four teenage daughters and myself lived completely off the grid in Northern AZ for over a year. We had to haul water and set up a gravity feed water system. Our electricity was a combination of solar/ batteries/ generators/ candlelight/ flashlights. We burned and recycled our trash. We crapped in the woods at first and then set up compost toilets. We stored rice and beans as back up. It was really cool at first (to be able to make it on our own in the middle of nowhere.) But after a while, the lifestyle can wear on anyone- and you have to ask yourself, WHY? We have found just as nice a property outside of Ash Fork where we are able to live a little with a septic and huge water tank- far enough away from others, yet close enough to come together in an emergency. I'm ALL ABOUT getting back to nature and independence. We have a small farm on our property and have our fresh chicken eggs. Our kids are not overrun by the nonsense of peer pressure and sitting in front of the TV all day. Simple living is our family's goal- There are a LOT of off grid people moving out here. The price of and is cheap and the people are humble and grounded. If anyone needs contacts or info on how to get set up out here, let me know. We have been here two years, now and will never look back. The city is for the birds as far as I am concerned.
    Land Chick

Motomom34, hitchcock4 and GOG like this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Doesn't never letting the tank get near empty mess up the mechanics? Heard the same thing about not revving it up once in a while.

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Land Chickie .... Welcome to the Monkey Tree... Lots of good Folks, hang'en out here, and lots of Good information in the Forums.... Make yourself at home...

16. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

@Land Chickie make yourself at home and welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

What was the topic??? ;)

I see the mainstream media as a bunch of gutless mouths yelling tweet, tweet, tweet. Babbling their trash from subject to subject. They are totally disconnected from reality.

No one has a clue if, when or whenever the sky will fail or not. However, it is a waste of time to keep up with anyone.

18. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

burp

19. Land Chickie

Land Chickie Monkey

Thanks, everyone for the warm welcome. My family and I moved outside of Ash Fork, AZ several years ago. The weather is beautiful (between 40-90 degrees year round). Over this last year we have seen a number of new families move here from all parts of the country. They are looking for a simpler way of life. They want a slower pace for their children and enough land to be self sustaining. Many people are starting small communities off the grid with rain water systems, solar and compost toilets. There are also your tried and true veterans who bought land here twenty years ago and are still going strong. My husband and I were both city people, business owners, money makers. After realizing the investment of time and energy it would take to properly raise our daugters, we chose their wellbeing over the finer things in life. Ash Fork is so reasonably priced, that within a few years we will be completely debt free. We have a small farm set up with chickens. We work odds and end jobs in our community. My husband is a builder. I work for a small real estate agent in town. Our focus has shifted from the city rat race to actually being able to LIVE. We have plenty of back up supplies, but it is not a draining, neurotic focus. We know how to live off the land and hunt if we needed to. Our house is not pretty but it is full of love and respect for one another. Our children have a combination of home school and regular school. Surprisingly, Ash Fork School has been rated one of the highest performing schools in the State. I know no two preppers think exactly alike, but I must say, it is a pleasure to know that there are like minded people to connect with across this country who understand what is really important in life. Thanks again- Land Chickie

Motomom34, techsar, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  20. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Actually, no. Most cars today have electric fuel pumps in the tank and rely on the fuel to keep them cool. Having a larger volume of fuel helps accomplish this more efficiently. Running the pump dry can quickly kill a pump, too. A low fuel level can also contribute to condensation, especially if you have wide temperature swings.

As far as revving it up...driving at varying speeds allows for better break-in of components, but revving it up really doesn't play any beneficial role.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Dunerunner