TOTM April 2016- When is enough enough?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Monkey's at their finest....Thread creep run amok.......might want to steer this one back to the OP subject. :whistle:

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Wow.... thread creep +++.

Today was a very interesting day. My first stop on errand day was to deliver donations to a Goodwill type place. The man that greeted me started saying the the country is collapsing. He told me about his sister that has sold her home and left the country. He was a former monk and had spent 30 years in the monastery, living all over the world. But he is now settled in CO. He spoke about how he made not quite $17,000 last year, with 13,000 going towards housing. It left him with little but he said he was rich. He talked about materialism and people are not understanding that there is something more then riches and goods.

I am a believer in signs. I believe this kind man was put in my path He wasn't angry nor was he beat down, he had a goodness to him all the while forecasting doom upon this country. We talked for about twenty minutes. I am still trying to figure why I met a man, not a survivalist but a holy man who can see darkness coming. I question myself did it mean to step up the pace yet here is a thread on not letting life pass you by while you do what you do for just in case. He didn't need much in possessions and stuff for living. I wonder if that is what the meeting was telling me.

GrayGhost and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Chimo,
    When I was in HS, I worked at a junkyard. My first Corvette was a 1960 or a marriage between two cars. Powered by a 327 with the 2x4s off a 283. As it was multi-colored, a bud repainted it. Nowadays he restores cars. I could always recognize it because the color was wrong for that year.
    A $100 for 4 bolt main 327 was a good price.

4. Yard Dart

Back on topic please.... or staff will fix the thread's drift. ;)
    A new car thread would be groovy.....

5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I am not big on having lots of 'stuff' myself, so if it's not gonna protect my household, or put food on my table or wipe my ***, it's a luxury and I can live without it. I like my laptop and my desktop computer, but they are not critical for survival, they're more for entertainment.

GOG likes this.
  6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Yard Dart
    It seems @ghrit is a car junkie also. ;)

This is me: If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, and makes lots of noise, thus producing torque and recoil, it's cool.
    But if it's a ball, made out of leather or inflated with air, that's hit with a bat, racquet, or club, used in a game played on a course, green, or court by yuppies, Democrats, or liberals - forget it.

@Motomom34
    Materialistic people fill our world. They care for nothing except materialistic things, If I could buy them for what they are worth and sell them for what they think they are worth? I'd be richer beyond belief. It was good to meet a person who didn't worship Mammon.

GOG likes this.
  7. Yard Dart

Cool with all of that as I am the same way. We just need to keep those type of post in the appropriate thread. This one happens to not be car talk... and we can have Ghrit give us a few pushups for adding fuel to the cylinder..... ;)

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thread creep indeed. How much the former monk had put by against the future would tell a lot about how much is enough as he sees it, maybe not as anyone else does.

And yes, I was a shade tree mechanic long ago on things with 4 wheels before electronic contamination, then graduated to two wheels. Now I let good mechanics earn their pay doing what I used to do for the fun of it. No longer fun getting out from under a vehicle or wrenching in close quarters. Have enough of scarred knuckles --

Now Yard and Tikka, go crank a Model T and forget to turn on the ignition first.

GOG, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@ghrit
    A friend has a model T and it sure doesn't tickle my fancy. ;)

I still prefer to turn my own wrenches. It's I'm either to frugal to pay for it or I just enjoy it too much. The Harley has a S&S stroke and Axtel barrels. My daughter calls it best; dad enjoys taking them apart as much as he does driving or riding.

I've been to a lot of sites and this one is the best I've seen, my compliments.

Yard Dart, GOG and kellory like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The former monk seemed to just be happy living basically in poverty. I think his mission is to preach goodness, to guide people to be aware. I have been twirling the question- Is life passing me by while I prepare for the future, though I do not know what the future holds. I do believe I need to work on the balancing, prepping vs life. Once my eyes opened to what could happen, I had to play catch up because I had been living the life that next week will be as secure as this week. But now that I am at a comfortable level of being prepped, I am having trouble defining lines.

hitchcock4, GOG and Ganado like this.
  11. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

It was hard for me to stop working so hard to get this place as self-sufficient I want. When I get going on something, I like to keep going, but it makes no sense to work so hard I'm in bed for the next couple days. So I just pace myself. That's what my electronics are mainly for, entertainment for when I need to rest. I like having SOMETHING to do.

Ganado likes this.
  12. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

First, it would be nice for this to stay on topic. Not really sure why people don't start a separate topic, rather than hijacking one in progress.

Second, @Motomom34, being an American who has lived abroad for almost two decades, "prepping", to some degree anyway, is part of every day life for most people this part of the world.

In Southeast Asia, we do not have all the conveniences one is offered in countries like the US - and many others. But, we don't focus on that, really. I mean, if the SHTF in the US and elsewhere around the world, would anyone really care about Cambodia, or what goes on here? I doubt it. But, I do focus on self-sustaining projects, so I can provide for myself and my g/f.

Heck, I am probably better off here than I would be back home, with the exception of not being able to own firearms here, as a foreigner. However, my g/f can, due to her associations. So,I guess that isn't a total loss. :)

GOG and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Asia-Off-Grid
    It happens because even though we don't know each other and very few of us will never meet; there is a bond and friends yak a lot. Although it makes a thread wander; it does grow the bond between people.

If SHTF, no one will care about Cambodia, the US, or any place else for that matter. When people are in a survival mode; other than surviving to see tomorrow very little else matters.

What I cannot handle about most other nations; as you know I cannot have my toys. That terminates any chance of me being an ex-pat.

Yard Dart, GOG and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Asia-Off-Grid

Sorry. I was referring more to us (America) being attacked by another country, on our own soil - probably won't ever happen, but it could, I suppose.

Either way, I meant me living in a country that no one would care about bombing. Of course, I'm sure someone thought that some time back, as well - and were wrong. So, maybe I should just shut about that, considering UXO (Unexploded Ordinance) is still being dug out of the ground here, until this very day.

You may be surprised at what you can own in some of these countries, and be completely legal.

GOG likes this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is very true. I have seen posts of people wanting comms so they can monitor what is across the country and across the world. IMO people are going to have so much on their plate in their AO that what is going on elsewhere will not be of interest for months.

I agree with @Asia-Off-Grid that in some societies and areas, collapse will not be as noticeable. Take the materialistic life away and let the mental meltdowns begin.
    So true but it really spotlights how far from the agricultural roots some societies have drifted. We do not produce what we need and many cannot figure out how to feed themselves if someone is not there to produce it for them.

Asia-Off-Grid, GrayGhost and Ganado like this.
  16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Depending which definition of SHTF; other than listening, "comms" are not for me. Ditto, I will have too much on my plate already to get on my HF/VHF/UHF rig to CQ for anyone listening. I will have a lot more needed things to do than fuss with that stuff.

Other than losing the internet and power or X hours a day; some places are already in what most would consider a SHTF mode. Most Americans are extremely materialistic and highly spoiled.

Motomom34 likes this.
  17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I guess America could be attacked. The sheep would surrender and the sheep dogs would not.

I'm quite familiar with areas of Cambodia; Parrot's beak, the Fish hook, the ladder, the Bra etc. I've used Google Earth and bomb craters are still visible almost 50 years later. It appears Agent Orange lasted longer than expected??

Very few nations would welcome me and my toys. You'd be surprised what we can own for a $200 tax stamp.

Asia-Off-Grid and GOG like this.
  18. Asia-Off-Grid

Probably not. And, fair enough.

19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Paul,
    The $200 tax stamp is Class III or full auto firearms.

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Or a suppressor, or a "destructive device." 200 frns each item, IIRC.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Yard Dart