TOTM February 2015- Bugging In

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Feb 1, 2016.

1. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

Thats a great point Motomom. I would have never thought about having that issue when I was living near the city. That was one thing that just didnt cross my mind, the extended family. That sucks, for me the neighbors out here are scattered, so I hope I wont have to worry about them.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Motomom34 likes this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

A much older name for your squeezer is called a sally port. A small strong door used for flanking attacks from a castle defending force. Inside the Sallyport is a long narrow hallway. This means that one or two archers at the far end of the hallway can defend against a much larger invading force, if they succeeded in finding the door and forcing it. No one could charge down that hallway without dying.

Garand69 likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

No reason to lose your fish pond/garden, just use DC pumps, and go solar.

Garand69 likes this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Can you just put a wind mill on a fan to circulate pond water?

Garand69 likes this.
  5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Ex-glorified light infantry.
    @RickR
    Did you forget; never call an NCO or ex-NCO the "Sir" word. ;)

There are two tricks; first making the prize difficult to find and second making the price costly. The low end wants easy prey. High end is a different subject.
    The difference between good and bad guys is based one's perspective. Infantry are the people who hand out MREs to hungry kids and hunt the enemy. So, it is better said we are capable of being either. I believe in God and His laws. I also believe it was Okinawan martial arts that as it reflects all; be a mirror.

To "kill you in the process" is quite correct. The difference is accepting it or go on and on about one's whatever that makes losing impossible.
    To a hungry mob, there will no agreement possible; it would be both safer and to save your breath.

Do you feel up to training them? Are they physically capable to attack or defend and are they willing to kill are the questions? It gets way too complex for me.

We live in a forest and I know it well. Force us to leave and I will introduce them to Hades. Any sign of them; day or night eats a bullet.

Can two people have an effect? They most certainly can if they know the basics and are facing scavengers .
    Are you familiar with the terms natural lines of drift or drift lines and fatal funnels?

Leaving can be wiser; but, go where is the question. We have a "BOL" and although we'd prefer staying here; we can go there.

Yard Dart and Bandit99 like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Tikka Sorry, Sergeant! No excuse! :):) I got a real bad case of the flu, wife too, so not ducking you I'm just too sick to concentrate. :):) ...but the simple fact in my area are neighbors are doubtful and none that I know of have any military training - that is not to say that can't shoot but discipline would be a problem so training...? Frankly, the neighbors would be the problem and yes - they probably all got relations in town, ~30 miles away, just like @Motomom34 said. Like I said in some other post, American homes are sieves, this thing cannot be defended. My old house in Central Asia have 10 foot walls with broken glass and nails on top, bars on the windows, alarms (sensor and contact) and a double security door (2 ea)...We had the outside one leading into the porch and then another one they have to go through to get into the house. House was a brick...But, this thing...very pretty, but defensible it ain't... I have thought and thought what I could do but impossible. I think the wife would be solid she's been through 2 revolutions (1 bloody) and 1 ethnic cleansing so... Okay, we talk more later...I think I am turning green :):)

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@RickR
    Just joking about the Sir.

As a home is not a military defensive position, of course they aren't one. Your home in Central Asia was designed to keep thieves and rascals out; not a military force. You know it same as I do. I would not wanted to live in such an environment.
    The sensors and more can be added easily to any house. Drift lines are natural and fatal funnels are easily constructed as "pretty" landscaping.

AFA as your wife's experiences; they were unarmed and you aren't.

For the humor of it; I have a friend who was also a SF major. His wife and him visited me at what we call the mountain house. He said I choose a H* of fine defensive position. Foolishly I answered the slopes are steep. He said no all the poison oak covering them. :)

Get better soon, my friend.

8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Getting back to this thread. I see there has been some talk of armoring your home. There is no armoring any home that is not already poured concrete walls a foot thick. Cement blocks are hollow and most 5.56 or .308 fmj will shoot right through them. Wood walls like mine are stupid easy to shoot through even with a .22 long rifle. You are talking sheet rock (drywall) and vinyl siding,7/16th osb . That stuff wont stop a decent air rifle. One thing I WILL NOT DO is retreat into my house. Number one ? I dont want it shot full of holes. Number two there is no protection in side other than concealment .

Now even if you have say an earth shelter home which is totally bullet proof? Maybe a few gun ports to shoot out of ,,how do you get out? I mean once in ,,,,you are trapped there. A sniper watching your door/doors etc. Barricading yourself in is a death sentence. I would suggest everyone look hard at this scenario . How do you best defend yourself? I watched several real good documentaries on ww2 about the bend but dont break defensive plans used by armies. You suck them in and dispatch them. Fall back only to ambush your enemy. Then when he is weak you attack him. DONT GET TRAPPED WITH YOUR BACK TO A WALL. This is why we will push our defensive perimeter out as far as we can maintain it. Fall back into defensive positions that are concealed and sand bagged. Make the attackers pay every time they advance and you move before they can zero your position. When I look down on the Choke point where any intruders will be coming in from I see three Large trees on the sides. These are areas an intruder would run for as soon as shots were fired. Ill turn these areas into nail traps. Anyone running to get behind these trees is going be impaled by spikes . KEEP your enemy away from your loved ones. Do your fighting as far from your house as you can.

GOG, chimo, Garand69 and 2 others like this.
  9. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

To approach BTPOST you have to come in by boat. He is pounding you at 1000 yards with .308. That is keeping them away from his home. I like his set up as well. One way in. Defend it from a distance. But I would add in a 338 Lapua or a single shot .50 serbu. Little more power than a .308 JUST SAYING :) ARM USA - Serbu BFG-50 50 BMG Rifles / 50 Caliber Rifles

Garand69 and BTPost like this.
  10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Intruders could also approach us by boat. I would not wish that on anyone. They would have to carry the boats for miles. and would be little more than Kayaks or canoes and so slow they would be sitting ducks . My greatest fear here ?? Is someone who knows we are here from the locals that live around here to people who Illegally launch in the creek and poach Bass on the lake. We are not in a secret place that no one knows about. However we are off the main stream if people are fleeing the state. Hordes would just walk right by us at about 18 miles. With so many acres of federal lands around us we are pretty safe for migrating stragglers. Locals are my concern. Locals will remember the lake and its fish. Every red neck in this area wishes they could come here and fish because of the Blue gill populations we have. It is these 30-30 toting Michigan hill billies that worry me. Many of them can be seen at the local ranges honing their shooting skills. They are a force to be reckoned with out here for sure and we dont take them for granted.. Most of them are good folks and many could and will be allies. These are bridges to cross . Ill try right away before things get bad to establish trading with the best of them. Fish for deer type stuff.

kellory likes this.
  11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

First, soldiers do mobile defense. And those soldiers did not have families to protect, or homesteads to keep safe. It is not a tactic given to a population.

Me, if I can, I would like to build a fighting emplacement of some sort. At least a palisade, maybe something better if resources allow. Honestly, I think it would just be fun to have, but I am under no illusions as to how poorly built modern houses are.

12. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

My house is a 2 by 4 walled stick house. The basement is a walk out so three sides are earth but the side facing the lake is just hollow blocks and huge sliding glass doors. I would have to build a wall of sand bags 8 feet high all the way around the house. Nope there is no way we are going defend at the house. If they get that far I'm already dead. W e bought this place because of the lay of the land. It is up hill all the way from the choke point to my drive. I am at the top of the peak and then back 300 yards from the road. I have a ridge that hides the house as close as 100 yards out. That is my last ditch defensive line 4 sandbag pits encircling the house. three other spots between there and the CHOKE. THERE IS NOTHING WE COULD DO TO MAKE THE HOUSE SAFE FROM GUNFIRE except to surround it with an 8 foot tall sand bag wall. I dont have near enough bags for that kind of wall or the time to do it. We do have the sand. I have all the yellow sand needed for any type of sand bag fortifications. Bags are not real cheap either. We have 200. ready to go. Olive green. Military surplus.

13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

For me , sand bags are about the only affordable defenses that will stop bullets. Maybe a steel plate or two for the Jeep . Sand stops bullets most other things dont.

14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Well said. Even at large fixed base camps; they are soldiers and their families are far away and safe. At large military base camps soldiers man the perimeter in bunkers behind a lot of concertina wire with trap flares and other defensive measures.

Plus what do people plan to do; stay in their bunker?
    A prepper planning on surviving a long term event will have crops and animals to tend. Bringing water in etc.

15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I don't know if it has ever been discussed here but secret rooms and hiding places.
    I built 2 and my brother who thought he knew this house as well as his own , could not find them.
    If for some reason the house is broken into ,it is very unlikely that those thing I've stored will be discovered.
    Another recommendation I have is a dead safe . there is no way to get in it and there is nothing off value with in ,it is a decoy to waste the time of the thieves . It cannot be easily removed and the door does not open.
    Or for those of you that reload, it could be our lead storage.

Kingfish likes this.
  16. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Like Tika says , got to bring in wood , crops, animals etc. Cant be contained in a building. Have to establish a perimeter and hold that perimeter out away from the women and children. I have always thought a small Island would be the ultimate fortress. Only accessible by boat making it very hard to approach by anything less then a military force. I really believe many of the Pacific Islands are awesome bug out locations.

BTPost likes this.
  17. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, it appears that the majority of folks here have the same problem as me...strangely, that doesn't make me feel any better LOL! :):)

I have 5 acres and I cannot wall off the entire property even if I wanted and if I did, I could man all the walls as not enough personnel. And, if I only walled off the house and water (our well is next to the house), maybe using Hesco Barriers (used all the time overseas, as good as sandbags and fill faster) we'd be like cornered rats. No, the only thing one could do for security is approach the neighbors and hope they are amenable (and trust worthy) to working together: roving security patrols, coordinated defense plan, general alarm plan like a Giant Voice. Probably some ground sensors of some sort also and infra-red cameras...hmmm...I need to look into them.

I will say one thing positive for a 'wall' of some sort - people don't know what you got because they can't see inside. Build a wall and get a couple of good dogs and at least you know you got unwanted company even if they kill the dogs.

Rick

18. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We dont man a wall here we man pits that have overlapping fields of fire. That way we dont need say a man every 20 yards. We have ridge that hides the house and is backed up to the lake so no one is coming from behind and if they did the women with long guns have them under fire for a very long time. W e have just 4 pits that circle the house with two men to a pit and three in reserve. At the Choke we have the same number of men but in two groups flanking both sides of the road and their flanks are protected by water and deep silt. Intruders must come up the middle or swim/wade in silt that would kill them via sinking out of sight. Two fall back points behind the choke but still in the funnel. Last stand is the 4th position around the house . Intruders would have to push us back almost half a mile to reach the house. W e chose this place because of the difficult approach swamps and dangerous mud/silt. People have died here drowning in the mud after falling out of a boat. A team of intruders could try and go completely around the lakes and com in from the sides. They would run into the two small teams that protect or flanks. Radios would bring reinforcements to help them. We just dont anticipate a group large enough to bring this kind of attack. We concentrate most of our defensive capabilities on the road in. We can adjust our plans . Only half of the people living here take this seriously. That still leaves us with enough men and women to defend us.

19. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

I was asked a little bit ago if I was a "prepper". My answer, anyone who lives in the bush of Alaska is a prepper. So yes we will stay put where we are. In the case of a tsunami, we would not get anything more than a wave surge. If it happens to get bigger than that, we have some places higher on the hill. ;)

chelloveck, Motomom34 and BTPost like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

IMO if there has been an EMP,almost no one will suspect that electronic surveillance is still functional ,unless of course people have had the foresight to have gear put away safely as replacements .
    These may not take the place of a warm body holding a fire arm on a lonely post but it will give heads up to a group with limited resources .
    IMO you can't defend a house from the inside it's just not possible.
    Having an out side access is imperative . or having the capacity to remote operate weaponry .
    I have even considered tat idea of using fire crackers to aggravate an enemy into spending ammo needlessly.
    Even the use of dummies in strategic places to further entice the waste of ammo.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. saki monkey
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. DKR
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Motomom34
  12. Motomom34