TOTM June 2016- Water

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, May 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We also have three sources of water. There is a spring fed creek that enters our lake in my neighbors yard. I have a well and there is the lake itself. The lake water would need to be filtered and boiled. But for now it can be used for toilet water and cleaning. I have a good long term Generator plan to run our pump. The spring would be second choice for drinking water. We have a good supply of filter straws should we need to filter creek or lake water somewhere else as in bugged out. We took water very seriously when we moved here. Not only is water needed for us but for animals both tame and wild. A lake is a living pantry.

GOG and Tully Mars like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Hot off the Wire. Texas Counties with Flood Problems.

Attached Files:

Ganado likes this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Sounds like Texas could use a little LESS Water, right now....

4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Sources of water are numerous around here (SE LA)...well is around 900' deep, but water pushes up to about 12 feet below ground level. Only requires a simple shallow well pump (with a backup ready to go,) solar power to back that up along with generators. If that doesn't do the trick, there is a hand pump plumbed into the system that requires turning two valves to use. Or walk a little bit and uncap an artesian well that flows many gpm. Drums of water, cases of water, Berkey, Lifestraws...and unscented bleach and bleach tablets for chemical purification. Boiling can be accomplished with electric, propane, gasoline, kerosene or wood. I could catch rainwater, but it really isn't necessary. ;)

Gator 45/70, GOG and Ganado like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Too bad, they can't run a few thousand siphons from texas to california. Fill up a few of those empty reservoirs and lakes. They need it, and you don't want it.

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Where might be a good resource to find the answer to the "if its legal to collect rain water"?

7. kellory

Minuteman likes this.
  8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Excellent resource, @kellory.

In most states you can collect rainwater from your gutters and downspouts into rain barrels. Where the laws start to get more complicated is when you attempt to divert rainwater into underground cisterns or larger storage tanks...or lord forbid pipe it into your house like I have. Check your state laws there.

I spent 4 years on the board of directors of a municipal water utility in New Mexico and got a decent 'education' from our manager and some of the permanent board members concerning water rights law. The rule-of-thumb I learned when it comes to rain water is, if you catch it before it hits the ground and store it in non-permanent containers (ie barrels rather than cisterns or tanks), you're probably OK...but once the water hits the ground you can't divert or store it it unless you have groundwater rights. In the southwest, water law is not only complicated....wars have been fought over it.

Ganado likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

RainBarrel-1.
    I picked up a 55 gallon rain drum Wednesday from the parish...Free!!!
    They encourage the usage of catching rain water here.

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yard Dart and GOG like this.
  11. kellory

No ma'am, if you actually read the links, you would see differences. I did a google search. Myself.

Ganado likes this.
  12. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Illegal now means nothing after the SHTF. Build a rain catchment system and store it.

Yard Dart, GOG and Homer Simpson like this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I would like to do an under ground cistern, you know that way it's hidden.
    And I am also in NM.
    But can do rain barrels if I had to.

GOG likes this.
  14. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Whatever it takes, water is life.

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  15. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Tully Mars
    "...This one is 8 5/8" well casing going down a bit over 300'. We got the pump @ Harbor Freight for about 40 bux. It will only lift 30'..."
    I'm confused here. Your water is 300 feet down but your pump will only lift 30 feet?

We have 1500 gallon underground cistern. We share a 450 foot well with neighbors which concerns me but that is how the place was built. At the next meeting, I am going to bring up the lack of an alternate power source to the well which I think will fall on deaf ears but...gotta try. I suppose I could drill my own but pretty costly to go down 450 feet.

We also are right across the road from huge state park that surround the biggest lake in the state so in a pinch we could haul water and filter it.

So, not a perfect situation but we have only been here a year and we have got a lot done in that time period but still have a lot to do.

16. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

It's not the depth of the well that you need to consider when pumping, but rather where the water level is within the casing. Clear as mud? ;)

17. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

No. I know nothing about this... So, I assume the water pressure pushes the water up the casing (the pipe) to within 30 feet of the surface so your pump can move it, right? How do you know how far up the water comes? Do you drop a line down it or...?

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Somewhat simplistically, if the water is up the pipe, the water outside the pipe is at the same level. Now, there are some other technicalities in play, but for the sake of understanding take that idea and run with it. When you start taking water out of the well, the level in the pipe will drop, there is no help for that, nor need to be overly concerned. What you are faced with is with drawing water at a rate that lets the well recharge itself due to the difference between height of water on the OUTSIDE of the pipe, and your drawn down level inside.

Your 30 feet is highly subjective, but it's a point to start discussions. Some pumps, of the simple sucking type will be limited to that depth. There are others that will work at almost any depth, or we would not have gasoline among other things. For your purposes, well, we don't yet know enough.

19. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Well casing goes down to over 300 feet. the water level currently is @ about 20 feet below the surface. So, the hand pump will pull the water to the surface which works for now as a back up source. Plans are for a solar set up in the future with a "real" pump. This well is a back up. Hope this helps clear it up a bit.

20. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

kellory likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. duane
  4. Ganado
  5. Sojourn
  6. DKR
  7. deMolay
  8. Ganado
  9. GOG