TOTM June 2016- Water

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, May 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

well depth is depth of casing, you need more distance between water level and the bottom of the well so you don't pump dry. aka the draw down.

@Tully Mars do you know what your draw down is?

in wet climates you gon't generally need a very deep well because the water table is sufficiently high that you won't dry pump

In a more dry environment you need more distance between the water depth and the bottom of the casing so that you don't pump dry. (that was the layman's version, I know many on here can explain this more technically)

Tully Mars likes this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

@Ganado I really don't. This well was put in a long time ago and capped. Since it's used strictly as a back up (and a place to get a cool drink while out hunting) It isn't used enough. Surface to water level varies approx. 15 feet from peak of summer to mid winter. Sorry thats about all I can tell you until we install a "real" pump on it. I do know the drillers hit into a good aquifer.

Ganado likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

:LOL::cry::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: 'Water belongs to everyone" that is a leftist liberal attitude for communistic sharing if I ever heard one!:D

Homer Simpson and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We ought a pump like @Tully Mars years ago. We use our one well head for our house water so if SHTF we would have to swap out the the one now with a set up like tully's. I was told that we would have to abandon the existing waterline and put in a new line for the hand pump. We hit water really shallow. I have always been confused when they say "abandon the existing line". To me I think that would mean haul out the existing. But maybe they meant just let it go but that would be a mess and could bother a new hand pump line.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Ganado likes this.
  5. Tully Mars

And those who venture onto my land uninvited spouting that drivel will most likely be a big help to our garden the next planting season;)

GOG and Ganado like this.
  6. Tully Mars

I'm a bit confused, but I don't see why you would have to do anything with the line to the house. Do you have a above ground pump now or a submersible?

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I found this in my water research-
    25 Ways to Purify Water
    25 Purification Methods

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE kills bacteria with oxygen, is chemically made and is very toxic. It is used in emergencies.
    The list contained hydrogen peroxide. I thought that was quite interesting. I have lots of hydrogen peroxide. But the more I researched I am not sure if one should rely on his method. Seems toxic. I found one place that said it kills the bacteria in the water but does not purify it. This site seems to think it is okay in an emergency situation. Using Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) to purify water

GOG likes this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It is the line going down into the well. I have a submersible.

Tully Mars likes this.
  9. Tully Mars

OK. The pump would most likely have to be removed and just a straight line going into the well with a connection something like what I made for the hand pump. Shouldn't be too big a deal especially if the well is rather shallow.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

or you could get solar or drop the darn submersible in the well. Many people do, not ideal though

I think he removed his post =)

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  11. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

If it is a separate well the government usually frowns on having both piped into the home due to the risk of one contaminating the other. They want one piped into the home and the other piped into some storage system that is not piped into the home plumbing. So when they say "abandon" the existing line, they mean to ensure it is no longer connected to your home plumbing system.

The original owner of my home apparently wasn't concerned with government permission when he installed the rain water cistern and piped it into the house...and I am glad he wasn't. In addition to our main well, I have a line running from my 10,000 gallon underground rain water cistern to a pump in my basement, which pumps water into a pressure tank (same as any well pressure tank). The pressure tank is then piped into my home plumbing system. To control where my water comes from I have two valves in addition to my main well/softener system valve:
    1. Both valves closed prevents any water from going to my outdoor faucets and basement wash basin, while my normal well water still supplies the house.
    2. The cistern valve open and the well valve closed supplies cistern water to my outdoor faucets and basement wash basin and well water to the rest of the house.
    3. The well valve open and the cistern valve closed supplies well water to everything.
    4. Both valves open will supply the both well and cistern water to everything...but this configuration will only occur if my main well pump quits working...and even then I would shut off the main feed valve from the pump and water softener system...just in case the well system came back up, because I really don't want water flowing back into my softener/well from the cistern. This is similar to why you shut down your main electrical circuit breaker when you are using generator/alternative power.
    The main purpose of this system is so I can use rainwater for outdoor use and some indoor cleaning tasks, but it also gives me a back-up water source (that would obviously need filtering before drinking). My generator is capable of running the 110v cistern pump, but can't handle the surge of the 220v well pump...so in a longer power outage I can use my generator to provide water via the cistern pump and have working toilets, faucets, etc. I'm working on a solar/battery/inverter system that can power the cistern pump long term. Next time I have well problems I'll probably spend the money to replace the pump with a 12 or 24v unit that I can also back up with solar and batteries.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  12. melvinderby

melvinderby Monkey

Rainwater is much better for your garden. Rainwater harvesting has a lot of benefits- it reduces water bills, you can store water in a more economical way. The water that we get from the cities is hard water and can contain a lot of chemicals which can cause a lot of water borne diseases to your family members.Rain water on the other hand has a more fresh taste and is a much better alternative to improve your family's health.

13. weshaare

weshaare Monkey

My username is weshaare which is an acronym for Water Economics, Sustainable Housing, Aquaponics And Renewable Energy. There is an answer. In fact there is new technology which will save us. Been thinking about this problem for a long time. This technology will allow one to live anywhere in the world where there is water. This new technology with a catalyst and sunlight and any type of water will split the water into hydrogen and oxygen. This is not electrolysis. I am in the process of designing a completely sustainable community with this technology.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Hmmm...what Google-foo shows is lots of crowd funding for...something...that will make life wonderful.
    Reminds me of the electric powered generator. I guess I'm getting old, grouchy and skeptical...especially for an initial - and only - post.

Homer Simpson and GOG like this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You are never grouchy with me. So no two cents on water? You are down there with a bunch of monkeys that are prone to flooding and hurricanes. These situations change the clarity of the water and Is that part of your consideration when prepping?

GOG likes this.
  16. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Hehe...actually, I wasn't thinking of flood mitigation when I wrote my earlier response ;) But I do have a 30 gallon sump buried next to the house with a float actuated sump pump. Roughly a one foot high mound is in the works to provide a protected area. If that's not enough, that means we have had more than 24 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. (BTDT)
    Speaking of which, the well casing extends above any anticipated flooding level to prevent well contamination and the pump is above that.

17. weshaare

weshaare Monkey

I am not much on buging out. My hope is to build a place to live in, in a location off the beaten path in a sensible location. Probably on the side of a hill with a southern exposure. With water as a big issue in the valley of the sun (Phoenix area) every step you take will make life easier. Living off the grid will be challenging but I am optimistic. One of the biggest issues is septic systems. The solution is to use a waterless toilet and therefore eliminating the need for a septic system. Pipe all your grey water to a collection tank where you can either recycle the water or use it in your garden. I guess I haven't mentioned I am a proponent of earth sheltered living. If your exposed southern windows are high enough and secure enough and the concrete reinforced steel modules covered with 6 feet of earth should be secure from any incoming projectiles. The windows on the south will have steel plate protection system that can be raised and lowered as needed. As you can see I am a little weird. There is more but I will spare you the details for now.

18. kappydell

kappydell Monkey

i have rain barrels up for catching rain water - for now we use it to water the garden and fruit trees. We also live 2 blocks from a large river; hauling water would be a pain, but necessary. Am considering putting in a large 'cistern'/holding tank in the basement for re-routing rain runoff in case of SHTF; that way no digging, but the water harvesting is not obvious, either. In a SHTF situation, I would not put it past the city we live in to condemn any dwelling not hooked up to or using 'enough' city water. After all, they do charge for it. Politicians are allergic to independent actions.....

19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Hydrogen peroxide isn't that toxic. Its used in industrial food preparation all the time as a sanitation agent.
    Silver reacts with hydrogen peroxide so if you put it in your water to kill everything, which it does add some silver to decompose the hydrogen peroxide after it has done its work.
    Also pretty much anything decomposes hydrogen peroxide, heat, light contact with metals.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]
    This woman made this cistern out of sandstone more pics are on facebook under maxwell garden cistern

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and GOG like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. duane
  4. Ganado
  5. Sojourn
  6. DKR
  7. deMolay
  8. Ganado
  9. GOG
  10. Motomom34
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid