TOTM June 2016- Water

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, May 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Very nice. However, sandstone is not a very strong rock. I like the spiral staircase, but if the rock splits under foot, that will be a nasty fall.

2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

All I'm saying is, sandstones strength is dependent upon it's age. Young sandstone is very easy to break, mature stone is more like granite. (Depends on it's make up, and it is a composite).
    A vertical safety line with a prusik knot, would be a good idea, incase of a fall.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And aeration. Save your silver.

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

oh the silver isn't consumed in the reaction. It a catalyst, a very strong catalyst as far as the H2O2 is concerned.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, but why waste the silver? Shaking the bottle will do just as well with air as it will with Ag. There are better uses for silver solutions and mixtures.

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It wouldn't be wasted just temporally barrowed for water purification. It doesn't get used up at all.
    You can buy industrial 99.99% pure industrial silver "shot" for such uses.
    The 30% hydrogen peroxide we use where I work at my normal job doesn't seem to decompose when shaken.
    I keep a 1toz bar of silver in my tool box for my "is that water leaking or is they hydrogen peroxide leaking" finder outer tool.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Most plumbing jurisdictions would allow you to connect both, if an approved back flow prevention assembly was installed and tested.

This type of situation would require a Reduced Pressure Zone Assembly (RPZA)

009 Reduced Pressure Zone Assemblies, Reduced Pressure Zone Assemblies, Backflow Prevention - Watts

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. duane

duane Monkey+++

Seems like in most of the US the big problem with water is it a resource or a commodity? We now have to "register" our wells when they are drilled with the state in NH and when I bought a place, the real estate lady took her smart phone and told me how deep the well was, who drilled it, what the water level was and how many gallons a minute it pumped under test conditions and what minerals etc it had in it. The bank may not loan you money on a place if it has a shallow well or a spring for water, even if it has been reliable for 200 years. In many of the cities with water systems, it is illegal to have a private well, not safe you know, and in many places there are limits on the water you can draw for irrigation and God help you if you want to sell water in NH. It is a huge business and they do not tolerate competition. With the population explosion in southern NH, our past industrial waste, our disaster with gasoline additives, and surface water problems, many shallow wells just aren't safe, and radon, arsenic, heavy metals, sulfur, all are problems in the deep wells. I have a shallow well 30 feet deep, 10 feet of water, that I use in the greenhouse with an electric pump and a hand pump and so far it tests ok for the problems I know of. I have a deep well, 280 feet, with 260 feet of water, and an electric pump,with the parts necessary to put my shallow well hand pump on it and cylinder that would let me hand pump up to 100 feet down, that has to be treated to remove sulfur, heavy metals, and odor. I am also about 400 feet from a river and have filters and chlorine. In our area, semi rural, if the power fails, 99 % of the people will be without a safe water source and in 12 hours and will be screaming at the town for that necessary. The town can supply limited amounts from the school etc until the generators quit and then they are going to be looking for your water. I wouldn't want a windmill as much as I love them as they are a little hard to keep private. It is even worse in the cities.

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Just more evidence that this country isn't as "free" as we like to believe.

Gator 45/70 and Dont like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is so odd that you said this. I was told last week that I needed to register my well. I guess the county and state has no record of it and I am unable to sell my home until I get this done. This is going to involve a well company and a load of paperwork that all needs state approval as part of a home sale.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  12. duane

duane Monkey+++

The way of the bureaucrat, if you wish to control, do it as a requirement for something. You want to improve your home, you need a permit and inspections, you wish to buy or sell, you have to give up the grand fathered rights and comply with the state, you wish to work, you have to get a permit, have a license, meet the latest code, you wish to farm, you need to meet the zoning rules, dept of ag rules, fda rules, corps of engineers rules, and so on. If I wish to raise and sell the produce off of 10 acres, not through a farmers market, I have to have my water supply tested monthly and have to have the records available for inspection. I might wash the potatoes or water the lettuce you know. All in the name of public health and safety and if you go to court, you are going to lose as they make the rules and "enforce" them.

Gator 45/70 and Homer Simpson like this.
  13. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

with guns

Sorry for the thread drift. I'll try to get back on track by saying, when it comes to water and my survival, I am not gonna let a bunch of politicians and bureaucrats stop me from doing what needs to be done. It's my survival and that of my family on the line, not theirs.

14. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

We have people move out here with the intent to build their very own little paradise. And like much of the west, water is an important resource. There are rivers, streams, creeks, springs and seep's around the hills. New people see a source of water as being safe and use that for consumption. They do not think of the animals wondering around the hills and using the same water for their use and washing off all the nasties that they had picked up in their own wanderings. So the local rules in the hills is that ALL water is filtered. Even well water is passed through an in line filter. Some have dug a deep pit next to a stream and filled it with sand and sunk a sand point in the middle to draw the filtered water off from the stream.

I personally have a well that is 75 feet deep with water at 50 feet. It will pump at 35 gallons a min. any time of the year. I use an 1100 gal. cistern that gravity feeds to the cabin down the hill. I had an episode of violent vomiting a couple years ago, that had no other symptoms. I checked the cistern and found the the cover was not set well over it and there was 6 mouse carcases on the bottom decomposing, thus contaminating my water. After cleaning the the remains of the mice off the bottom and dumping a large quanitty of bleach into the tank, flushing the bleach through the whole system and then flushing the bleach out, I have had no further problems..

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  15. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

We had a temporary outage here today, our subdivision well, there was a blown fuse that resulted in NO electricity to the pump house. It was down less than 5 hours I believe, and people were having a fit. In the annual consumer report thing we're required by law to send out to the residents here, it's strongly recommended that people have an emergency supply of water to deal with outages, but they don't want to bother...they just wanna whine, so I'm gonna whine about them ;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have recently decided that lawns, for the sake of growing grass that must be mowed, is a waste of time and resources. I have decided that rather than lawn, pond is better. I was initially thinking swimming pool but have decided to do a naturally filtrated swimming pond that can be incorporated into my aquaponics system. Since my sub-strata is pretty much sand with little clay content, Bentonite probably isn't going to be as effective as a liner so pilings to support a deck over the pond will require some engineering. Too much rain right now, to start digging as the ground-water table is way too high to achieve the depth I want, maybe we'll get an August drought.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. duane
  4. Ganado
  5. Sojourn
  6. DKR
  7. deMolay
  8. Ganado
  9. GOG
  10. Motomom34
  11. Asia-Off-Grid