TOTM - November 2015 OPSEC

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ghrit, Nov 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

More food for thought:

How do you handle your mail? No, I don't want to know, but consider if your mail carrier is responsible or a potential problem. Home delivered? Do you know the carrier and substitutes on sight? Use a post office box to limit the chances of being staked out? (And yes @BTPost we know your mail is flung out of the mail plane every two or three weeks, weather permitting -- :lol:)

Same question for FedEx and UPS. Home delivery or mail store? If home, is the box left on the porch or someplace visible from the street? Do you give delivery directions to the sending organization?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Tully Mars and Mindgrinder like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@ghrit all good questions above ^^^ but many people work so they could not properly answer these questions. The delivery people all work working hours like a majority of the population. Also- due to GPS most people do not need directions.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I provide delivery directions, in my case it is to leave large items (USPS) and FedEX/UPS deliveries in a steel box. The box is always locked unless I expect deliveries so it always appears the same, just unlocked for the day of delivery.

Two of the UPS drivers live on my road and own property and we have some of the same hobbies so we keep up with what is going on with each other and our kids.

Recent USPS driver is also a vet so we get along well too.

Unusual for sure to have these types of contacts even in a rural area. Stranger still since the Drivers operate out of a large Hub miles away.

4. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

This is a very good question that resonates with me....

For aboot 8 years we had the same mail lady....she befriended our dogs, brought treats and played with them a bit from time to time and gave the guy that took her route while she was on vacation clear instructions. We gave her a card, a bottle of wine every year for xmas and veggies from the garden in the summer/fall. It was perfect. She retired awhile ago and now we only have a "semi-regular" carrier (cool guy same arrangement) and some randoms who are occasionally terrified of all dogs...
    Because it's not 100% consistent, we're considering taking the mailbox off the house and putting one at the end of the driveway so that carriers don't have to come in the "dog zone"....our newspaper hindu dude just chucks the paper at the end of the driveway in a plastic bag and it seems to work out fine....(he's terrified of all dogs)

:)

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Living way out of the way means the local mail carrier will not travel several miles into the hills to deliver anything.. UPS/FedEx has asked other people headed up a road to drop off packages for them.. They are not equipped with tire chains nor four wheel drive.. Mail delivery is at the end of the road amongst all the other mail box's.. I only stop at the mail box about twice a month.. Usually only have a box filled with junk!

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Since I am the defacto PostMaster, around here, I deal with receiving, sorting, and cooking the weekly Pizza, for the neighbors that come to get their Mail, UPS, FedEx, and Freight.... We get a Mail Plane once a week, Wx permitting, during the winters, and three times a week, during the summer....

Tully Mars, GOG and HK_User like this.
  7. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

We don't have USPS home delivery here so you have to go to the PO to pick up/send off. My UPS guy is awesome, hides my stuff behind the bushes if I'm not home (which is rare). We know each other by name. The Fed Ex guy now, he just chucks it on the porch and runs without even bothering to knock or ring the bell. Half the time he throws it on someone else's porch. Love that guy. :/

I don't sit in my car in the parking lot. I hate shopping in the real world, with you know, people. I just want to get my stuff and get home before one of the dogs eats half my library.

8. Sand Spyder

Sand Spyder Monkey

PINEKNOT: As I've stated I am not into the survivalist/prepper thing, my interest is only in wilderness survival. That said, why not use your bank card? I could see using cash and maybe a prepaid card if I was a fleeing felon but I fail to see how as a mostly law abiding citizen how my debit card could be a problem?

9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Interesting!!

Tully Mars and stg58 like this.
  10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

One must wonder about the rationale behind attracting attention so unnecessarily.
    I remember even as teenager in the age of muscle cars having no attraction to loud vehicles or having the propensity for burning rubber. It always resulted in the very wrong kind of attention - either that of belligerent types or that of the cops, and wanted nothing to do with either.

kellory and chelloveck like this.
  11. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Having re-read this thread there appears to be one skill many monkeys are lacking; the ability to read body language. I'm not going into a dissertation on what to look for or how to respond in any given situation because; 1. Opinions vary. 2. Situations vary. 3. There is a wide variety of information readily available on teh interwebz. Educate yourself.

What I will say is there are pre-attack indicators every 2 legged predator exhibits. Learn them, it could save your life.

On open carry; Leave the rifles at home or in the vehicle. and yes, body language also comes into use here as well. One must display confidence, self assuredness and dominance. First; Don't open carry if few or no people in your area do. Second; The wearing of what could be mistaken for a police uniform is at best a gray area. If you dress well ( shirt with a collar, clean pressed jeans / Dockers ) and tailor your EDC rig to your clothing few if any will notice. IOW; black holster with dark blue/black pants, tan/brown rig with tan/brown pants. Keep things small, a full size pistol, two extra mags, a flashlight and either a fixed blade on the belt or a folder clipped to a pocket is a bit much.

Third; Know WHAT you may do if forced to stand your ground. There are states where open carry is technically lawful but if you do you'll be arrested (Like Massachusetts). Or you can open carry but if you pull and don't shoot, you can be charged with brandishing or assault. In other places one could draw, point and even put that little crimson trace dot on the chest of whoever is threatening them anywhere they have a right to be.

If you carry a pistol for protection I strongly suggest you research the laws on deadly force as well as the jury instructions in D/F cases in your area before stepping outside. Use the .gov website and don't ask for legal advice on the interwebz.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  12. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

The point is to not use a debit card that is connected to a bank account with large somes of money that can be drained. Or a credit card that has large available credit. I use prepaid, cash and a debit card from a side account that money can be moved to and from and only keep a minimum amount of funds.

Tully Mars, Sand Spyder and Yard Dart like this.
  13. Very interested in this. I currently live in Louisiana. How do I go about looking into this? So you can set up placing your property under a homestead protection law? Please share I've never heard of this but really would like to know thank you!

14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Louisiana Tax Commission
    And
    Louisiana Revised Statutes 20:1 - Declaration of homestead; exemption from seizure and sale; debts excluded from exemption; waiver - LawServer >>>
    Louisiana Revised Statutes 20:1 – Declaration of homestead; exemption from seizure and sale; debts excluded from exemption; waiver
    Current as of: 2014 | Check for updates | Other versions

§1. Declaration of homestead; exemption from seizure and sale; debts excluded from exemption; waiver; certain proceeds from property insurance exempted

A.(1) The bona fide homestead consists of a residence occupied by the owner and the land on which the residence is located, including any building and appurtenances located thereon, and any contiguous tracts up to a total of five acres if the residence is within a municipality, or up to a total of two hundred acres of land if the residence is not located in a municipality.

(2) The homestead is exempt from seizure and sale under any writ, mandate, or process whatsoever, except as provided by Subsections C and D of this Section. This exemption extends to thirty-five thousand dollars in value of the homestead, except in the case of obligations arising directly as a result of a catastrophic or terminal illness or injury, in which case the exemption shall apply to the full value of the homestead based upon its value one year before such seizure. This homestead exemption from seizure and sale shall extend automatically to the proceeds from any property insurance policy received as a result of damage caused by a gubernatorially declared disaster to a homestead and that are held separately in an escrow account identified as insurance proceeds paid from the damage of a homestead for its repair or replacement.

(3) For the purposes of this Section, “catastrophic or terminal illness or injury” shall mean an illness or injury which creates uninsured obligations to health care providers of more than ten thousand dollars and which are greater than fifty percent of the annual adjusted gross income of the debtor, as established by an average of federal income tax returns for the three preceding years.

B. The exemption provided in Subsection A shall extend to the surviving spouse or minor children of a deceased owner and shall apply when the homestead is occupied as such and title to it is in either the husband or wife but not to more than one homestead owned by the husband or the wife. The exemption shall continue to apply to a homestead otherwise eligible while owned in indivision by the spouses, and occupied by either of them, when the community property regime of which the homestead is a part is dissolved by judgment which so provides, pursuant to R.S. 9:381 et seq., or Article 159 or 2375 of the Louisiana Civil Code. If either spouse becomes the sole owner and continues to occupy the homestead as such, the exemption as to that spouse shall be deemed to have continued uninterrupted.

C. This exemption shall not apply to any of the following debts:

(1) For the purchase price of property or any part of such purchase price.

(2) For labor, money, and material furnished for building, repairing, or improving the homestead.

(3) For liabilities incurred by any public officer, or fiduciary, or any attorney at law, for money collected or received on deposits.

(4) For taxes or assessments.

(5) For rent which bears a privilege upon said property.

(6) For the amount which may be due a homestead or building and loan association for a loan made by it on the security of the property; provided, that if at the time of making such loan the borrower be married, and not separated from bed and board from the other spouse, the latter shall have consented thereto.

(7) For the amount which may be due for money advanced on the security of a mortgage on said property; provided, that if at the time of granting such mortgage the mortgagor be married, and not separated from bed and board from the other spouse, the latter shall have consented thereto.

(8) For any obligation arising from the conviction of a felony or misdemeanor which has the possibility of imprisonment of at least six months.

D. The right to sell voluntarily any property that is exempt as a homestead shall be preserved, but no sale shall destroy or impair any rights of creditors thereon. Any person entitled to a homestead may waive same, in whole or in part, by signing a written waiver thereof; a copy of such waiver shall be provided to the homeowner; however, if the person is married, and not separated from bed and board from the other spouse, then the waiver shall not be effective unless signed by the latter, and all such waivers shall be recorded in the mortgage records of the parish where the homestead is situated. However, if the homestead is the separate property of one of the spouses, the homestead exemption may be waived by that spouse alone in any mortgage granted on the homestead, without the necessity of obtaining a waiver from the non-owning spouse. The waiver may be either general or special and shall have effect from the time of recording. The waiver shall not be required or permitted for the rendering of medical treatment, medical services, or hospitalization. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, a waiver of exemption from seizure as to an exempted homestead shall automatically include insurance for that property to the extent subject to the creditor’s mortgage or security interest.

Amended by Acts 1977, No. 466, §1; Acts 1980, No. 249, §1, eff. July 12, 1980; Acts 1999, No. 1365, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 2000; Acts 2004, No. 481, §1; Acts 2006, No. 601, §2; Acts 2009, No. 201, §2, eff. June 30, 2009.

15. Great!!! Thank you so much!!!

16. Sand Spyder

Sand Spyder Monkey

Thanks Pineknot. Fortuneately I don't have ;arge sums of money so tats not aproblem for me :)

medic4049 likes this.
  17. RangerRick

RangerRick RangerRick-North Idaho Oath Keeper

I saw one of those where dad should have been was a set of bars. In Jail, lol. RangerRick

18. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Had signed up for a service connected web sight and looked at the profile page after completing the sign up.. Aurrrgghh! I had put excessive personal information that was displayed to the public.. Made a very quick editing job!

Stay aware, stay vigilant!

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  19. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Wow, that's pretty good, considering there is little resemblance between a debit card and cash. I drew a monkey from a football once...but I was drunk and thought I was drawing Ray Nitschke. :D

Ganado likes this.
  20. Crazy

Crazy Monkey+++

This topic is almost second chapter to last month's on networking. There is always a point of breaking OPSEC in the process of building a network. I had a friend for more than a decade before I found out he is prepared, and would be a great friend in bad times. In contrast to that I had another friend who was very like minded (veteran, shooting, hunting, personal responsibility) so I talked to him about coordination of security if any problems were to arise. He told me flatly "the police and the government will always maintain control". Did not see that one coming. Move slowly and test the waters before giving more information.

Tully Mars, Taku, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  1. Brokor
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. DKR
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Motomom34