TOTM September 2016- Collapse, Addiction and Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Motomom34, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

In most cases the "high" is what makes it effective against pain.
    In the case of lupis or fybermyagia I dunno for sure but i'd think the distraction of the buzz is a substansive part of the pain relief....but thats just personal thoughts.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  2. Mindgrinder

If you wanna make rope, denim or oil from seed, ya hemp.
    Medicine...MJ....you don't want ANY seed.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Yes we know the thc is needed but if she is applying it as an ointment or as an oil it should not p[roduce the same Highs as smoking it.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  4. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Actually, red or yellow roses would be a closer comparison. They are varieties of the same species...Cannabis Sativa...bred for different characteristics. Cannabis Indica, for example, would be a different species in the same family.

5. Mindgrinder

*note*
    After several conversations and some thought - CBD is enough i guess...but if you're going for pain relief IMNSHO - might as well enjoy it...with that being said...

Ok...so you're in the "it must be oil" place....
    I've made oil in the past....basically you're putting some water in a pot and bringing it to a low boil...then putting a metal bowl on top full of pure alcohol rinsed through MJ.
    It's friggen dangerous. Do it OUTSIDE during good weather on a single burner electric burner on an extension cord. Have sand and everything ON HAND just in case.

There are several factors you should consider here.
    #1: MUST HAVE 99.9% iso alcohol. Do NOT use the 99% stuff - it's garbage. Do NOT use the camping fuel that some use. It leaves junk in the oil and you can taste it.
    #2: Extraction - I usually throw the iso in the freezer and dry the MJ to the bone. This just seems to give the best "quantity" when pulling from leaf or shake. (bud...this is such a waste).
    #3: Double boiling - *sigh* this is why i hate this method...it's best to gently "swish" the top bowl so that the iso rolls up the sides of the bowl and evaps faster while also pulling down the oil into the bottom of the bowl rather than drying on the sides.

There very well might be a better cold-pressed method of extraction that would be better for high end vape units but I can't speak from experience on that stuff.

When you get the card...buy some hash at your local dispense and make some brownies....it's worth experimenting. Start with 1/2 gram per brownie.
    :)

MG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  6. kemps

kemps Monkey

I have fibro as well as other pain issues and actually that isn't fully accurate. Sure, the high helps when you feel like complete horse crap. There is actually two kinds of strains. Some are more for the high or the buzz and some more work with suppressing your feelings of the pain. A lot of people use those strains to make things like creams and tinctures and from what I've heard they work amazingly for all kinds of things. Also, at least with fibro there is this thing we get called fibro fog (I am not sure if those with lupis gets it, I would actually have to ask my MIL about that as she has it) where we get very confused, spaced out and forgetful. I don't know about others but I don't wanna be even MORE spaced out! = )

To add I have depression also and was prescribed depression medications years ago. I also have anxiety meds and other things. I do my best to treat the various things I have in other ways or at least have other ways on hand to help me. I also try to keep extra meds on hand just in case. I do think people coming off of medications/addiction is going to be a major problem. It's gonna make the first 30-60 days post SHTF even crazier as people come off of that crap. I do not look forward to that at all!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Kingfish, Motomom34 and Mindgrinder like this.
  7. Mindgrinder

I have 2 aunts and 2 ex girlfriends with fibro....nobody knows wth it is. Aunt #1 in remission - claims diet. Aunt #2 totally random disappears for weeks at a time. Ex #1 Only in cold weather and severe. Ex #2 So severe they want to call it Lupis but can't for some reason. Pain injections that are like maple syrop thick every month.
    :(
    Weed didn't work well for any of them but they never really gave it a fair chance and experimented. If you know what strains are best for fibro - please be specific.

I use it for sleep med mostly because I'm bipolar with lengthy manic episodes.
    I don't really get very high even if I smoke a 1 gram joint by myself....the goal is "get the munchies, eat something and try to sleep for more than 4 hrs".

I can sorta relate to the fog....but it's mostly from lithium and lamotragine meds + beer.

Just my $0.02

MG

8. kemps

kemps Monkey

Sadly I don't know specific strains off hand but I can ask some of my peeps. They probably know. I found what works best for me is making a tincture and taking some of that with something with caffeine (like pepsi or Dr pepper) as it helps with my migraines as well as masks some of the taste. I don't feel high or buzzed but it helps with my pain and other various issues. I also have PTSD from abuse and anxiety that gets worse at night due to past crap so I have even further trouble sleeping than what simply the condition causes. My husband either has fibro or lupis but doesn't want to get diagnosed at the moment and his mother was recently diagnosed with lupis after thinking she had fibro for about 10 years. I've heard the creams work well with muscle pain but never tried it. It's actually a main reason I wanted to move to Colorado until I found out rain catchment systems are illegal (at least last I checked).

Mindgrinder likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

No, you can catch rain off your roof now. They allow 2 barrels. CO residents can harvest rainwater | Survival Monkey Forums

What about these questions?
    If you have a compound, you want the doctor or critical skills person with you. You have to weigh are you going to dry them out or not. It takes time and will take time and resources. Are you going to do the humanistic thing and aid your fellow man or let them go?

10. kemps

kemps Monkey

I actually just found that out late last night after posting that. That sure makes me happy. About time they stopped being dumbasses!

11. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

You might want to check their gun laws and the direction those seem to be headed before choosing to move there.
    [peep]

12. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Had surgery last year on both hands. The DR. gave me percocet for the pain. I was supposed to take it for a couple of weeks or more, but two days of it was all I could stand. The physical pain from the surgery was easier to deal with than the almost complete inability to think. When I told the DR. he said I was tough. But I'm not nearly tough enough to deal with the mind-obliterating, thought canceling effects of percocet. It was mental torment.

Have to wonder how people become addicted to them, but guess everyone's reaction is different.

Mindgrinder, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Mindgrinder

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. Mindgrinder

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. hot diggity
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. DKR