Tracer Ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

In the past I have picked up some tracer ammo at gun shows but don't remember it being sold by a name brand manufacture over the counter like non-tracer ammo.
    A local large chain store has tracer ammo in their Sunday circular.
    I don't have huge need but I picked up a few boxes.
    Also.
    Federal Tactical Tracer 5.56x45mm NATO XM856 64 Grain Full Metal Jacket

[​IMG]

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Praeclarum Site Supporter+

Fun to play with, but it works both ways.

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I used .22 rimfire tracers to learn to hit flying targets with my pistol. It was an expensive hobby.

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I still like the old 2-3 tracers in the last 5 rnds of each mag to signal it's time for a mag change. While I don't do this on everyday stuff, I have strippers set up that way in the ammo I have put away for that rainy day.

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Never liked tracers for my personal stuff...don't have any here. ;)

6. Seacowboys

I got tracers in my belts for the 1919A4 but that's about the only thing I ever shoot tracer in any more.

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

Tracers are fun and a good way to train, especially new shooters, but the risks of starting a fire are pretty high, and often not worth the trouble and expense. The only time I ever used tracer in the service was for target marking, ether for the door gunners or for a air strike close in. Worked out pretty good, but needs good barrel maintenance. The door gunners used it some times, but it was often looked down on especially night ops.
    Still, a fun tool when conditions make the risk go away. I keep a few loose rounds for my fighting rifles, in case I need them for...........

8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Not welcome around here. Fighting any fire here usually means trucking water in from far away and lots of bulldozing. We've had several tracer fires. One required a CL-215 water scooping plane to get the fire under control.

Marck, sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Bought a couple boxes of that very stuff about 7 or 8 years ago. Have it tucked away. I would only ever use it during the rainy season and only then after a good soaking.
    About 30 years ago I fired a tracer at night from an M1 carbine that set a small bush on fire about 2 or 300 yards away. Fortunately, after that single bush was consumed the fire never went any further. I knew exactly how lucky that was. Had some interior clothing to wash. Learned to be extremely careful with tracers.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Tracer has very specific niche uses, and has been pointed out, has some double edged applications. There's no doubting that the tracer can be very distracting, especially to those unfamiliar with its effect....which can be useful for drawing attention away from places that you might prefer that too close interest not be taken. Tracer can be used for target indication, signalling,

Tracer ammunition - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

I once started a pretty good grass fire with a .22 rimfire, bounced off of a fence post and apparently sparked and set the fire. Lucky for me, I happen to have lots of fire fighting equipment on hand and got it under control with in a few minutes! It dosnt take much to get a fire going in my ao, and tracers would be a big no no here!!!!

chelloveck, sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  12. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Heh. That would make a Mosin Nagant unwelcome too. Flame throwers they be, with milsurp ammo.

chelloveck, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Seacowboys

Fun with tracers and a bit of high explosives

14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

There is a reason tracers and incendiaries are illegal here in Florida.
    A few years ago, a couple young idiots shot them at our outdoor range in the National Forest. Caused quite the forestfire. The rangers were not amused. Burned around the range, but luckily not within the grounds. Range was closed a couple weeks.

Tully Mars likes this.
  15. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Well...in 2 months gunning on slicks and just over 9 on C-model gunships, we never didn't use tracers at 1 in 5. It isn't like they needed a better aiming point than the 4 ft flame out the miniguns and the spark trail from the rockets...especially since gunners were down the list after mechanicals and pilots.

chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

For us, we did as much of our flying at night as we could, and with night vision optics, tracer really sucks. Some of our gunners prefers mini guns and others liked the M-2. The mini was pretty awesome, even with out tracer, those suckers really light up the night. We had special flash supressors on the M-2s which killed almost all the flash! Most of us P.J.s and pilots preferd the M-2, better range, and didn't burn through as much ammo, and we didn't have to carry a much ether!!! The whole idea was to get in I'm suspected and undected, do our thing and get out with out any one knowing we were there! We even swiped 24 Bell/ Augusta 412Xs from the Marines and had special rotors made that made them very quiet!!! Best birds we ever had! Much faster the the MH60ks and better mouvering while being lighter and still able to carry the same lode!!!

17. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

The Army's C model Huey gunships had pylon mounted minis (some units had M2s, but the 3 gunship platoons I was with all used minis) and rocket pods and the gunners had handheld 60s with the butt replaced by a plate at the rear of the receiver. We also had M-79s (and anything else we could scrounge or steal). This was as the Cobra was being introduced in country and the old C-models phased out...which is why I was with 3 different platoons in 2 different divisions in 9 months, finally ending with the last platoon to use the Cs, the Razorbacks out of Tan Son Nhut for 4 months. Most of our work was at night, but we had no night vision...this was the age of the Starlight Scope and recon squads didn't get them since they said it would tempt us to get too close in (never made sense to me either, but I was just a mentally challenged grunt E5)

Before wising up and going with a job that got one mattresses most nights and almost daily showers (frequently hot ones) and hot food (and one could transfer to it from gruntwork), I ran recon for just over 4 months...that was a whole different ballgame. In at night using a (somewhat) muffled H-model and pickups the same way.
    [bedtime]

18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

My kid brother was a PJ!
    Served in Desert Shield/Storm.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

I just missed the first go around in the Storms, ended up over there in time for northern watch, then Bosnia!!!

Tully Mars likes this.
  20. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My old high school Chemistry teacher, Paul Green, was a Huey pilot in South Vietnam. He got shotdown twice, but made it back okay. Lucky SOB. ;)

Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  1. deMolay
  2. Grandpa Patch
  3. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Dec 2, 2018, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  4. Bishop
  5. Bishop
  6. Bandit99
  7. arleigh