Trangia fuel bottle for kersoene lamps

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by hot diggity, Sep 26, 2021.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

This dovetails nicely with my 15 year Du-Bro kerosene pump review. https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/du-bro-kerosene-pump-15-year-review.67676/

The Trangia fuel bottle does serve the same purpose as the pump, it's just a lot handier for smaller lamps, since they just need a small amount of fuel at each filling. I use Klean Heat Odorless heater fuel in my indoor wick lamps, since they do stink of kerosene otherwise. The bottle is marked with the fuel type, since I use a similar bottle for denatured alcohol. It's compact enough to store indoors, so it's always at room temperature and ready to refill lamps as needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dispenser mechanism makes it really easy to control the fuel flow, even into mini-lamps.
    You unscrew the cap at the top just a half turn or so. (More = increased fuel flow) This unlocks the spring loaded white valve. When you press the white valve fuel flows out of the T-shaped outlet.
    For additional flow control I put my thumb over the upward end of the T, limiting air flow and further reducing fuel flow. Using this technique, filling even the tiny Castle Brand #103 is a breeze. Screwing the valve closed ensures a leak free seal and the bottle itself is extremely durable plastic.

Taking all the spills and smells out of kerosene lighting kinda takes all the excitement out of it for some folks, but I've had my share of that sort of thing.

Ura-Ki, Brokor, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Cool, never heard of such a thing! Good to see there are things like this about, keeps the spills to a minimum and storage seems pretty safe!

3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I fiddled with smaller containers and tiny funnels, but this makes it so much easier. It's far different in materials from what Grandma used to use, but the nozzle is about the same size as most farm kerosene bottles I've seen. There's nothing new under the sun, just new ways to do old things.

[​IMG]

Alf60 and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7