Transplanting BLACK raspberry canes.

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Marvin L. Steinhagen, Jun 25, 2018.

1. A couple of years ago I was mowing grass when I spotted raspberry canes in the neighbor's lilacs. I've been harvesting them, never get too many. It doesn't seem to matter how many I pick, the pan just doesn't fill up. I'd like to get some started on my side of the line. Does anyone have any suggestions about transplanting some canes.

Motomom34 and Wild Trapper like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

It helps if you put them in the bucket rather than your mouth ;)

Used to just dig 'em up and put some chicken manure (seasoned) in the new hole, then some dirt, then the canes. Soaked the area well afterward.

3. I thought that might be the problem, but do you know just how good fresh black raspberries are?

4. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I think if you heel in the cane it will develop roots, clip it from the mother vine and transplant this fall.

Rancher

Tully Mars, ochit and chelloveck like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

the last time I did raspberries I just cut the canes and stuck them in the ground
    and made sure the ground stayed wet till the leaves sprout on the canes,
    DO it in the spring

6. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

You can also bend the cane over and stick the tip in the ground. As long as it stays there, in a couple weeks you 'll have roots. Cut it off and dig it up for transplanting.

7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I can't help with transplanting them, since mine grew from seed.

They now cover about 1000 sq/ft and seem to like rotting pine straw, and partial shade.

I have to wonder if you couldn't just seed a portion of promising ground with some of the neighbors berries and save the trouble of transplanting. In my growing zone they spread rapidly and seek the light conditions they prefer.

This seeding technique would also be great for remote plantings. (In land you can access, but not control.) You just have to plant more than you eat. :)

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

A few years back I bought a couple starts, thought they were better than the wild type. Turns out, they were the same.

Anyway, I noticed long canes bending down and set a bunch of pots around with regular garden dirt in them, spiked the canes down into the pots and then just kept them moist until I had plants growing in the pots. Then I clipped the canes and moved the pots to where I wanted to set out the new bed. Now I have hundreds of plants and thousands of black raspberries. I also have them growing in the edge of my lower farm field, and even in my wooded areas that I cleared the brush from.

Turns out black raspberries seem to be one of the easiest plants to propagate and grow. They come up from seeds in bird droppings, grow from clippings if healed in moist dirt in fall or spring, come up from the roots of established plants, grow from the canes that come in contact with the soil enough to put down roots. Or you can just dig up a plant and get it started in a place big enough to let it spread, because it will take over the whole area given enough time.

OH yeah! I had black raspberries on my morning oatmeal. Also some blueberries, They are a bit tougher to grow, but once you get them established, you might also have enough of those to have some on your morning oatmeal.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And a neat way to slow down two legged varmints creeping up on you. I like the bide-a-wee bush concept as an innocuous defense.

10. ochit

ochit Monkey+

lemons and limes are great defensive perimeter and give much needed citric acid for canning cleaning with salt or baking soda on the half shell and nice lemon or lime aid and pies

I raise blackberries much the same technique as all the posts advise I have to cut out the old canes that produced the new canes will produce in the coming year in the spring I put out around each plant a cup of Epsom salt and a cup of balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10 and or pile up a couple shovels full of bunny crap 6 foot circle around the base of the canes and keep them watered I do not know about raspberries but black berries do not mind the stress of lack of water so I only water them maybe a couple times a week and I seem to get a good consistent crop over watering is more detrimental with some plants they get root rot. I picked the species for it's ability to thrive in tight sandy clay soil and it does.

I have no idea of what thrives in anyone's area or how green your thumb is and everyone has a green thumb it is finding what likes you and your soil. I like passive gardening I like to raise plants that require less attention and propagate easily.
    I do air layering with my grapes I do direct planting of a cane into a pot and fig trees have been a hit and miss as a new plant pops up I try not to injure the root system and replant it sometimes it works sometimes not I have mexican limes and lemon bushes because they are not trees I keep them trimmed from dead ends because of our freezes I intend to get some insulation foam and build boxes with a lid I can flip off in the day when it's not below freezing thank God is not often.

the garden I do plant is heirloom and only a few favorites Okra, yellow squash, carrots, for my rabbits and Cherokee purple tomatoes my enemy is the squirrel if it is not in a cage it's a trapeze and they tear everything to the ground so I build my cages from concrete reinforcement wire ( the roll type ) 4 or 5 foot tall I pick up remnants here and there I build trellis for my blackberries out of 3/8th or 1/2 rebar 20 foot joints to make a hoop tie it to T posts and 10 foot joints to make the trellis to the hoops stick them in the ground and tie them at the top. T posts for grapes and aircraft cable I get plenty from my neighbors that do garage doors down the road that where making and eye splice comes in handy to connect the cables because they are short by each but a few make a 20 foot run if your ends are free you can use a dead man anchors to keep the cable tight. one of the trees I should have planted was loquat they ripen early spring and then the blackberries then the figs then grapes and last lemons and limes if you plan and have the money if you get it organized first its a symphony if not well get ready to do some re-engineering as in spread of canes stalks or height distance to water amount of sun or shade and of course your soil or you can do raised bed I do it in old tractor tires bottom with my crap soil 2 more tires with good garden soil because I have 2 rows I am considering end capping and filling in between with rabbit crap and good soil and make a center run but I have to make sure I have access to pick.I may have to put walk boards just mind calisthenics I might just take a nap.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  11. YEP. These were seeded by birds. I just wanted to get feed back about transplanting them. I think I'll put out some fertilizer this fall and move some canes next spring. I'm in zone five, we get some cold weather but raspberries are pretty hardy. The soil is old farm land, my abstract traces ownership to Antoine LeClaire in early nineteenth century.

ochit, chelloveck and Wild Trapper like this.
  12. Lancer

I like the concept of hedgerows consisting of mock orange, raspberry canes, and poison ivy. Wife says "NO" in no uncertain terms....

ochit and chelloveck like this.
  13. ochit

ochit Monkey+

My land traces back to some dipstick that had a junk yard I almost paid for the land with the junk iron ended up with. got Some good I beam and pipe I wish I wouldn't have scrapped the rail road track but it was too heavy and crooked to deal with so I let the scrapper have it. made out good steel price back then was high as a cats back.

Tully Mars, tacmotusn and chelloveck like this.
  14. ochit

ochit Monkey+

If you need poison anything I got it in spades be glad to send you some cuttings :unsure:

Lancer likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Did you plant some black raspberry in amongst the leftover iron?

16. ochit

ochit Monkey+

I have Blackberries and oh no, I racked it planting Blackberries among anything is a sure way to trap it it would take a bulldozer to winch it out I have to dig up plants that pop up where ever they please and replant them in a row or else they would take over the whole area and there would be no way to get in and trim them up or pick them besides that kind of density attracts copperheads so I try to keep them in a single row year by year I have traded some starters for mason jars some fence and tin 1 gallon buckets of all size nickle lag bolts and drywall screws and a box of 16D nails pretty good for renewable trade stock.

Ganado likes this.
  17. Lancer

I have it in spades myself... Not to mention stinging nettles 10' high.
    You're correct about the copperheads. They just love to hang out in dense stuff that untamed canes will create....

ochit and chelloveck like this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Black berries are about the easiest thing to grow, but be careful, once they take a start, they grow wild and will over run an area very fast. Once that happens, they are very VERY hard to control. You have to cut them off at ground level, till them up and burn them otherwise they will grow right back again in three to four months! We have our friendly Grizzly to help keep the berries in check, but you may end up running goats for a few days to a few weeks to cut down on your crop! Most wild type berries are much the same, so you have to stay right on top of them or they will over run you quickly!

19. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

This is what we do ! ^^^^

sec_monkey likes this.
  20. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

damn things sprout in my yard. I mow .. less than a week later they tower over the lawn.
    once the do establish a small patch. run them over with a rototiller .. then you'll have a big patch.
    I've got runners growing in the greenhouse, pig pen, pig house, under the porch, all along the fences, the middle of the yard, over the septic field ...

Oh and flat tires on the lawn tractor from the thorns and scars on my legs, arms, scalp from doing battle with them.

sec_monkey, Lancer and Wild Trapper like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7