Trapping the wiley Squirrel.....

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by BTPost, Nov 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When we got back from vacation the Alt Watchman told us that we had a “Willey Squirrel” hanging out in the Store, with a sweet tooth, for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Red Vines... He was making a mess of the Candy supplies... So I dug out a couple of Conibear Traps from the Trading Post, scrounged up a couple of 2X4s about 5 feet long and set them the sames as I would have for a Martin... Took the Trap Chain and Screwnailed the furthest link to the end of the 2X4, and then set that on the Checkout Counter, with about 3 ft hanging out over the floor, counterbalanced by a case of 24Half canned Pink Salmon... Bait was a dab of Creamy Peanut Butter, with four Peanut M&Ms stuck in the PB.... Then I put 2” of Red Vines over the two Trigger Wires of the Trap and laid it on the 2X4, so that the Trap was between the Counter and the Bait... Two days later we went down to the store to check the traps, and sure enough, caught the little bugger... He had shoved one trap off the 2X4, and eaten ALL the bait, with out even springing the trap,... However he got greedy on the second Trap, a tried to nibble on the Red Vines on the Trigger Wires,, springing the trap and holding him two feet off the floor, in the sprung trap... AlaskaChick cleaned up the candy wrappers off the floor, and we reset the Traps &Bait, to catch any of his friends, should the decide to head inside for a free meal... Pictures @ 11 the next time I check the Store....

Ganado, Zimmy, Wild Trapper and 8 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Skin the little bugger and nail his hide to the wall! :LOL:

3. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I bet those buggers are big in Alaska.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Around here it is the little red squirrel, not much bigger than a chip monk, born pregnant and chew like beavers. They can crawl thru a hole about the size of a half dollar, tear the insulation out of the walls, knaw holes in the cup boards, pi** on your pillows, and just make life difficult. Mouse poison doesn't seem to bother them and I hate to use rat traps as the bat population here is on its last legs and you are more likely to catch a bat than a squirrel in the attic. One that I finally caught had made a hole in the back of the cup board and was licking the bacon grease off the skillet and leaving me his or her little calling cards. That was going to far. I tried to buy the Decon bait trays, had good luck with them, warfrin in a pellet, can't buy it any more, isn't child safety compliant, has to be used in a child safe bait box, and the bait boxes are to small for a squirrel to get the food out of. and the Warfin etc might kill what ever animal or bird eats the dead rodent. Dozens of different have a heart traps and I don't think I am up to illegally relocating the beasts and it would take quite a while to get enough for a good mess of them with gravy.

BTPost, need to make a squirrel skin hat for the politicians, the way some act on tv as they parade for their followers, it might be a little large for their pin heads, have make sure it was a small rodent.

5. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I had chipmunks raiding my bird feeders until I got tired of it and bought a live trap, 'cause none of the rodent traps were doing anything more than feed the buggers. Caught and drowned 30 this year. I've had a LOT less success with the confounded grey squirrels, they are WAY too fast for the pellet gun solution. I have to stand up for my songbirds somehow.

Zimmy, SB21, oldman11 and 2 others like this.
  6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Caught an entire family of five gray squirrels (one at a time) that was living under my shed and gradually undermining it. Trapped 'em and dropped 'em off at an industrial park where I used to work. They can deal with 'em.

SB21, oldman11, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I have that in mind to solve my packrat problem..

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You brown those down in onions.

9. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70, Brokor and SB21 like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I never considered what to do if I had a squirrel issue. I have dealt with mice, body count is current 8 for this years fall invasion. I have a rat trap, looks like a giant mouse trap. I looked on-line and most people seem to do catch and release but if you do not release them far enough away they will be right back.I look forward to seeing @BTPost's trap.

These are two home-made traps I found on-line. The first one seems the most simple.

pvc.
    PVC Humane Capture Release Squirrel Trap

This one takes more PVC-

squirrel-7.
    DIY Squirrel Trap

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. BTPost

Baiting for that “Willey Squirrel”

DE934D40-5DFE-454A-8D9C-4FFBDD7F0E8C.

The Trap Sets in the Store....

2188188B-0321-4258-AB6F-67CC5B413F1F.

arleigh, oldawg, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I do the humane treatment.
    I beat them in their little head then off to the garbage can!

IMAG01663.

Zimmy, oldman11 and Wild Trapper like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ninja squirrel puts the move on Evie!

Attached Files:

oldman11 likes this.
  14. Wild Trapper

upload_2018-11-8_17-47-36.

Ganado, Zimmy, oldman11 and 1 other person like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I had a serious problem with ground squirrels steeling the chickens food and eggs .my birds were too complacent to stop them so I had to take matters into my own hands .
    I tried all kinds of traps and caught a few lost few but then I got an idea , so I took a egg and let it get good and rotten and set that out for them to steal , that was the last egg they ever took . I imagine that if they rolled it into their hole and broke it there, they had to move out indefinitely .

Cruisin Sloth, SB21, Zimmy and 4 others like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Like the way you think!

SB21 and oldman11 like this.
  17. Wild Trapper

upload_2018-11-10_6-28-11.

18. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

This little guy was tearing up the house when I wasn't there.. Not any more, thank you BT Post! IMG_20181206_180940.

19. BTPost

@Dont Yep, Those Conibers are great traps for the Wiley Squirrel... What were you using as Bait?
    I would suggest that you reset it, and leave it for a couple of weeks... Where there is ONE, there is likely to be a few more....

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  20. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Squirrel - a rat with a furry tail and a better press rep.

1. DKR
  2. HK_User
  3. hot diggity
  4. natshare
  5. sec_monkey
  6. Motomom34
  7. GrayGhost
  8. VHestin
  9. pearlselby
  10. Motomom34
  11. lonewolf89
  12. skyking