TWISTER aka windlass

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Meat, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You can do it with a tractor,cable and snatch block.

Meat likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Safer that way, too.

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Not as interesting plus some of us do not own a tractor and do not see owning a tractor in the future.

4. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’ve got a tree tied off with a Twister at my property. I don’t want another one of mine to make the local news. Boo.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

When you are done twisting things, you should use that big stick to make a catapult. I have only seen them in books, web but never known anyone to make one.

6. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’m trying to figure out which is more effective for disposing of human waste aka poop during SHTF. A catapult or trebuchet?

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  7. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

We used to have a huge trebuchet at the renaissance fair I used to go to (Oregon) soooo wanted to drag that sucker home to “play”with.....

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

catapult vs trebuchet.

Those in the picture above are fancy. I have seen drawing of some real simple one.
    Just another thing to make with a big stick and a strap besides a twister.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Use the truck then, Really have to take your time, Better if its 4x4

10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Out house , system , and make it with full flush & septic , twin tanks to let the one age for a two year brew. then feed your garden .
    Eat REAL food NO drugs in your body , the PILL ( get it figured ) NO DRUGS !

Poop is good .
    S

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

To sum this up I’d say twisting rope can be an effective way to take a strain on a rope for guying, securing, or winching. Keep in mind the safety aspect lest you wind up dead or injured. (Get it. Wind up) :D

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

How would you keep something like you designed secure? If you needed it to stay twisted? A tourniquet has a windlass but it has two secures. When using something that big I have been wondering if there is a way to safely keep it in place. I have seen trees that start to up-root due to a big storm. This method could be used to hold up the tree till it heals if you can secure the windlass

Meat likes this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Look at picture number 1. I first secured the front of the line near the stick so it can’t spit it out. Then I have tied it off with a couple of half-hitches. Then just secured back on anything. There’s very little strain to hold it due to its leverage but the direction will be obvious. Lol. Like I’ve mentioned this method is also an old logger’s trick. My people. :D

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Motomom34
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Bishop
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. Bishop
    Here is a song can you relate to it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 15, 2018, 1 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  8. DKR
  9. DKR