Types Of Drinking Water Filtration Systems Reviews

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ColtCarbine, Aug 30, 2021.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Types Of Drinking Water Filtration Systems Reviews

Different types of drinking water filters flood the entire market and online nowadays. That’s why it makes it difficult for consumers to choose what type of drinking water filter best suits their needs.

Every type of water filter has its advantages depending on one’s needs. In rural areas, local water distributors use chlorination processes. You are not sure if contaminants and other toxic substances such as lead and fluoride are very dangerous to your health and your family.

Some reviews are comparisons of different types of water filters, whether from simple to more complex filters. They usually focus on its effectiveness and being a budget saver sometimes for a sell.

Some reviews reveal the truth about it. That not all drinking water is the same and having the same contaminants or toxic substances present. So that’s why you can choose a variety of water filters in the market made specifically on different types of waterborne contaminants such as bacteria, protozoa, viruses and not to mention those toxic substances on it like lead and fluorides too!

When creating reviews for drinking water filters, it is best to choose water filters by their performance, features, significance to your health, their length of the warranty, and if they’re easy to use, and for easy installation too! But of course, lastly, if it is approved and had reached EPA’s standard for safe drinking water.

There are different drinking water filtration systems for pick, such as reverse osmosis, water distillers, ion exchange filters, ultraviolet disinfection, and black carbon filters. They may be considered as under sink water filters and or countertop water filters too.

Here is a simple review of different types of drinking water filtrations that can guide you in choosing what’s best for you.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    sec_monkey, duane and GOG like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have three:
    • A Big Berkey w/4 black carbon filters, which is my home base solution
    • A Sawyer Squeeze, which is my mobile solution. I really need one of these for each person and vehicle.
    • Several Polar Pure supersaturated iodine kits. I got my first one back in 1980 and it was very effective. Prior to the newer systems it was considered the best for bad environments. I hang on to them as fallbacks, shelf life is forever, and iodine is useful for radiation exposure.
    IMO you need home base as well as mobile solutions. You also need to identify water sources near your home in the event that your normal source(s) are disrupted. Remember the rule of 3's - potable water is your highest priority after shelter.

sec_monkey, T. Riley, duane and 2 others like this.
  3. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I installed 3 Big Blue 1 1/2" NPT filter housings in a series with the following filters; Sediment, Granular Activated Carbon, Activated Carbon Block. Flow rate 15 GPM. Mobile filter consist of Life Straw and Aqua Pure iodine tablets. I'm in need of other options for mobile. Possibly Berkley?

4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

We have spring water that goes through a UV and mechanical filter. For coffee and drinking water we run it through a Royal Berkey and we use the arsenic filters as well. Southern Oregon is notorious for arsenic in the water.

We have Lifestraws in all the bags and truck and I can't remember the brand, but we have a five gallon collapsible filter and a couple of 5gal. Monolith filters for backup.

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Big Berky. Filters out everything and is portable. Can't go wrong
    Makes coffee and tea taste a world different with plain tap water.

6. Macgyver

Macgyver Monkey+

I can also recommend the Big Berky water filters ben using one sense the late 90s

ColtCarbine and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Water here is full of heavy metals, no pesticides or fuel additives etc. Tried filters and they really didn't work, now use a system that injects chlorine into the water from the well, stores it in 2 tanks, 250 gal each. In those tanks the chlorine reacts with the metal ions and forms a solid that settles out in the holding tanks. Then it sends the water from the top of the holding tank to a carbon filter that both removes any chlorine and organic problems from the water. Have to add a gallon of bleach a month to a tank, flush the holding tanks, and about every 5 years replace the carbon media in the filter that is back washed ever couple days. System was expensive to install, has given me very good water for 20 plus years, all of the water quality tests come back excellent, and seems ready to go much longer. Also nice to have close to 600 gal of good drinking water in basement at all times if needed.

8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Have four a poly spun filter from between the well and storage tank (mainly for sediment) carbon filter between the tank and the booster pump, another carbon filter at the inlet to the RV, and for drinking a Big Berkey with ceramic filters. The Ceramic filter are no longer made by Berkey, they've been replaced with carbon black filters.

Shortly after I had the well drilled about 5 years ago, I took water samples and sent them off to a lab for analysis. A report came back about a half inch thick but stated that the water met EPA standards for drinking water directly from the well.

ColtCarbine likes this.
  9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Big Berky has been great since they fixed the filter adhesive issues. That was a long time ago.

ColtCarbine likes this.
  10. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Putting my Travel Berkey to good use right now. Makes enough water for the 2 of us for daily use. Back up is my Katadyn.

ColtCarbine likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7