Urban Foraging

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by chelloveck, Sep 4, 2021.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

For @Cruisin Sloth and his Canuck compatriots short of a buck.

It's never too late to get an education in a university library. ;)

mysterymet, 3M-TA3, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I can remember checking these as a kid. Sometimes they would drop coins like a slot machine when operating the coin return or repeatedly hang up the receiver. Those were the days.

upload_2021-9-4_11-21-33.

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Funny stuff, but mining a library for reference or entertainment material during SHTF should not be overlooked.

OldDude49 and chelloveck like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

That's an easy way to find cash... and razor blades and needles. Know your neighborhood.

Look near the cash register at most Walmart and grocery stores. Empty bottles of milk, wine coolers and food wrappers. That's from people eating on their feet and moving around the store without being noticed. Imagine how many discarded food containers you don't notice.

My two biggest forage item were recyclable cans and bottles and fresh water. In the late 1970's folks started taking the knobs off their water spigots so homeless people couldn't use the water. I learned to carry my own.
    upload_2021-9-4_22-6-31.

SB21 likes this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Look around the driveway at the fast food drive up window ,,, I've seen change around them plenty of times.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

When I was much younger and more hungry looking I used to time the meal change-over and closing time clean-up at fast food joints and could always get some left-over breakfast food (Usually hash browns. Maybe that's why I don't like hash browns now.) or as many shakes at closing time as I could carry.

I saw a kid almost get caught coming out of a fountain at the Detroit Zoo with a big bag of change. He was over the fence and gone before the guards could get there. How many times had he done that before and not been spotted?

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  7. Alf60

Alf60 Monkey+++

We used to go down to the high school football field on Saturday morning after the Friday night game and comb the ground under the bleachers. Found lots of change, a two dollar bill once, a wrist watch once, and occasionally a wallet.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  8. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

There are other types of "urban foraging" that tend to go unnoticed or unappreciated for extra cash and materials. While "dumpster diving" tends to be thought of as a poor man's lifestyle, you'd be amazed at what can be found in curbside pickups and dumpsters around most urban areas (and many suburban during bulk pickup days) as well as the variety of materials that most objects have in them.

I follow a few scrapper YouTube channels:

https://www.youtube.com/c/SharkScrapper

https://www.youtube.com/c/MikeTheScavenger

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtMag9TB1x3f-Px235_8Irg

https://www.youtube.com/c/Okiescrapper/featured

Combine said scrapping with either turning it into base materials (for things that can't be resold) and selling it back as scrap or computer boards to places like Boardsort or your local yard if they buy. There is also the potential to use something like a Devil Forge (I have no financial interest) to cast one's own solid copper bullets for those that reload. Or any number of useful items in brass, copper, bronze or other low temp (relatively speaking) alloys in a sand mold. ***WITH THE PROPER SAFETY AND TRAINING!!!***

Urban foraging can be a fairly decent side gig when the prices of scrap metal are right. And right now, they are booming so to speak.

chelloveck and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7