US Military forced to use "Green bullets"

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by stg58, Dec 19, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

The assault on firearms comes from all directions.

EPA regulations led to the closing of the Herculaneam lead smelter in Herculaneum, Missouri, which is expected to push up prices for traditional lead ammo.

..............................................................................................................................
    Thanks to EPA regulations, state regulations, and military goals, traditional lead ammo is on its way out and "green bullets" are on their way in.

As Breitbart News reported on December 1, EPA regulations led to the closing of the Herculaneam lead smelter in Herculaneum, Missouri, which is expected to push up prices for traditional lead ammo.

On top of this are regulations like the recent statewide lead ammo ban in California. Signed by Governor Jerry Brown (D) on October 11, this ban forces hunters to seek out nontraditional alternatives for their ammunition. In this way, the ban mandates "green bullets" by default.

Moreover, as Fox News reports, the military has set 2018 as its target date to have troops operating lead-ammo-free. "Green bullets" have been under testing at Picatinny Arsenal since 2010, and the Army plans to issue "a lead-free version of the 7.62 mm rounds fired from M-14 rifles... in 2014." The Army already switched to a greener 5.56 mm "enhanced performance round" in 2010.

With the military committing to the switch, the EPA making smelting a tougher business, and governors passing state-level lead ammo bans, experts say "lead bullets will be all but phased out within a few years in favor of so-called green bullets."

Does the new ammo perform as well as the old? That is one question that has yet to be answered.

'Green Bullets' Overtaking Lead Thanks to EPA, State Regs, Military

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey Site Supporter

Other that having to rework ballistic tables and reloading tables for your firearms, I don't see to much of a problem. Well, as long as the bullet manufacturers are able to continue to supply us with quality components..

3. stg58

The EPA and Cal don’t like lead, the forest service does not like steel jacketed bullets at least we still have those recycled wooden and recycled news print bullets.

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

don't forget the rubber bullets, i hear they are great for hunting protesters....:rolleyes:

Brokor and stg58 like this.
  5. Dont

Have not heard what the ballistics are out to 1000 yards for rubber bullets...

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

fun part is the duck and run when they return.....;)

tulianr likes this.
  7. Dont

Definitely not for hunting...

8. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

9. Dont

Still wont go elk hunting with it..

10. Rabid

Rabid Monkey

So they want to go green. What is so green about the depleted uranium they are using in other parts of the world

11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

hmm, let's see, make them out of copper.
    Copper, i thought was more likely to overpenetrate.
    then they will say they are cop killers because they don't deform and penetrate body armor
    and then they'll ban them.

Witch Doctor 01 and tulianr like this.
  12. Dont

Turned and polished brass now.. May need to look into the wieght..

13. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

14. Dont

Sorry.. Could not make it but half way through the article.. Well, it would not be the first time a poor decision had been fausted upon the military..

15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I wonder which of Our "wonderful leader's" Cronies isn making a killing with this round....

(Pun intended)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
  16. BobRenken

BobRenken Monkey

Anyone have an opinion on zinc bullets with a copper jacket?
    Also what are the frangibles made from?

17. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Frangible rounds are made from powdered alloys generally under high pressure and possibly with some adhesives... Glaser safety slugs were the first frangible ammo designed/marketed

18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Yeah, copper plated drill rod time.

19. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I've loaded a few thousand rounds of the Sinterfire 55gr sintered copper bullets. At 100 yards and less, they act just like any other 5.56mm 55gr round, except that they only dent a 1/4" steel plate instead of penetrating it. Supposedly, sintered bullets will perform much like a hollowpoint in soft tissue.

I started to load and shoot them because they were the only projectiles I could find back during the first bout of weirdness in 2008. Nobody wanted them, and they were the same price as the Winchester bulk 55gr FMJ bt bullets were.

They have a caveat, that you cannot crimp them tightly like you would a FMJ round with channelleture. If you go too tight, the bullet will break in half at the crimp point. I only ever seen it happen once, so far, and I've never seen them break up in flight.

Lead-Free Frangible Ammunition | SinterFire, Inc.

stg58 likes this.
  20. stg58

Interesting I will have to pick some up.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7