US Navy pdf on simple machines and how they work

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by duane, Jan 19, 2021.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

I was going thru my computer moving things to a new Raspberry Pi 400 that I hope to use as a semi server with better backup and not connected to the net when I came across this old navy publication, about 1971, that explains how much of what we do is done by a few simple machines, good old 2,000 year old modified Greek technology. If I were to have 20 books for an absolute last chance survival library, this would be one of them. While simple enough for the average person, it has enough math to make it usable in designing pulley systems, using a lever to lift a weight, etc.

You might not find it interesting and it may already be in the resources, but I put it right up there with the book on when there is no doctor available. Very interesting in that it describes mechanical computers and typewriters. State of the art in 1940's and would be again if EMP or failure of electrical system. Remember we built the ships for WW2 with slide rules and index cards and navigated all over the world with radio beams and sextant.

Don't fully understand the whole downloading files process, mod's may want to clean this up and do it right.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    smithcp2002, Tempstar, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@duane
    It's a pretty simple process. Clik on the file name in the post (not the pdf icon) clik on save, and the rest should be clear. Save it some place convenient, read at your leisure.

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I badly need a computer class ,, I can't do nothing but type and post ,, I've got a big external storage box ,,, just don't know how to use it .

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Great resource Duane! Thank you!

john316 likes this.
  5. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

I'd love to see a thread on this!! I have been getting into the Rasp PI for digital modes in ham radio, but it is still WAY over my head.
    -JW

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Perhaps you can download the file directly to the external storage?

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yep,, im sure it can be done,, i just don't know how you go about making files, how to find it later ,, all of that. If i can ever get the time, when my daughter has the time,, ill get her to help me. But with traveling for work,, I'm not home much.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

PM me when you have time to sit in front of your computer and I'll be glad to teach you what I know.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I sure will. Thank you. Ill get that external storage thing out and try to familiarize myself with i . Thank you very much. Im not exactly when it will be, but i will let you know when I have time ,, and we'll see if you have time. Thank you..

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

And if a guy calls up with an Indian accent and says he is from Microsoft and "are you at your computer".....hang up....it ain't me. :D

oldawg, Ganado, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7