Use of General Aviation Services during an EOFTW scenario

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Imasham, May 25, 2018.

1. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

I know a few people have private aircraft so, without you giving away OPSEC, what ideas or plans you have in using them during a grid down scenario. Leap frogging supplies comes to mind but my imagination is limited!!

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Reconnaissance. Also make a heck of a good repeater while up, acquiring even more Intel without spending as much fuel.

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

My C-141 provides me an aerial defense force on call.... ;)

[​IMG]

Zimmy, Dunerunner, Bandit99 and 7 others like this.
  4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

100LL might be in short supply after the apocalypse

that might also be true for all other grades of avgas

regular automotive gasoline supplies might be limited or zero

a medium to large electrically powered civilian drone would work better for recon plus it would attract less attention

our C-141 drivers hung up their spurs a while ago, YD was the master of delivering a whoopin [winkthumb] [winkthumb] [bow] [bow]

[flag] jus in time for Memorial Day [flag]

Zimmy, Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If I was bugging out I see a usefulness so long as I'm not likely to be targeted. If I'm not bugging out then it's a great way to advertize my presence to the unwanted. Due to fuel and maintenance concerns only a short term possibility at best.

Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  6. Yard Dart

Honestly, I see no reasonable use for aircraft in a grid down scenario, except escape from the AO if the area is permissable!!!!

7. Yard Dart

[​IMG]

Zimmy, Dunerunner, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  8. sec_monkey

yep both fuel plus parts are likely to go poof fairly quickly

multi-fuel turbine powered aircraft both fixed plus rotary are another story

however JP-5 plus JP-8 fuel supplies are not an infinite resource, plus civilian Jet A/Jet A-1 plus Jet B supplies might be limited, restricted, rationed, hoarded, or gone by the time things get [loco]

additionally as was done after 09/11 all non military aircraft might be grounded for days, weeks or perhaps months or even longer

some multi-fuel turbine engines can run on [booze] .. allegedly ..

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

This has come up numerous times for me, my bird can run both 100LL and automotive gasoline, uses some standard automotive engine parts, and is other wise about as good as it gets. Can haul a 600 pound load at MTOW, and can usually handle around 800 pounds with minimum fuel and good head winds. Take off and climb is astounding, and landings are based on how brave I am! A max effort take off/minimum fuel load at 600 pounds load will take aprox 35 feet with a 10 knot head wind, and with the brakes locked, can usually land in my own length, and that's with a 600 pound payload! Best cruise is 90 m.p.h., a speed run is a good 120 m.p.h. and max cruise range at best cruise is about 630 miles while burning 7.2 gallons of 100LL fuel, and slightly less on auto gas! Maintenance is exceptional, both hot and cold weather performance is quite good, and other then icing the leading edges, it's a pretty safe bird to fly. I can fly at night as long as I have a good moon and stars, and I stay above 500 feet AGL, and the engine is muffled, so I gotta be right on top of ya for you to hear me, so sneaking around at night would be the best option! I can also fold the wings and road tow it, carefully as the landing gear is over max road width, but shouldn' be a biggy!

Dont, Dunerunner, arleigh and 4 others like this.
  10. sec_monkey

[chopper] @Ura-Ki [applaud]

that aint an option for us, even if we had the caps, big bertha alone weighs around 850 lbs. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Lol Sec! Ironically, that's not the really mean bird, that one is still in the hanger all in pieces! Don' even know if I will ever get it put back to gether or not, now! That one has better climb and cruise performance despite less engine power, and has better range at higher 120 knot cruise speed, but it's AV fuel ONLY, cannot fold the wings, and cannot get into and out of the places the " little plane" Can! Some one wants to buy it, I'll sell it super cheap for what I have into it! Gots a brand new full certified Lycoming AEI O-435 and a brand new certified MT prop with constant speed hub and controlls! Also has the second fuel tanks in the wings for 88 gallons fuel and brand new Alaskan bush Wheels of the 31 inch size with Clevland brakes, and Baby Bush wheel mod for the tail. Has been converted to PA-18 landing gear legs 6 inches over, 10 foot wide track, and brand new Alaskan Airframe Wing struts! Build it your self, I toss in a set of reman EDO Floats with struts and mounts! Cost to build would be 320k, I sell it to you fer 160k u-haul! Has a stack of certs 5 inches thick too!

Dunerunner, Yard Dart and sec_monkey like this.
  12. sec_monkey

thank ya, would if we could [winkthumb] [winkthumb]

sadly we are unable :( :cry:

Dr. M may have expressed interest in aviation a while back .. [dunno] now

Ura-Ki likes this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I do know were a feller can get into a super schweet hot rod kit with all the bells and whistles for about 120k brand new! It's The bird that has won the big show S.T.O.L comps in Valdes and every where else! A feller could prolly pick up a good used one for under 80k and be ready to rock and roll! www.Just-aircraft.com Super stol, or for less money, less stol, a highlander, which is actually a better bird, and about 10k less, depending on options!
    Another super slick is www.savageaircraft.com iCub
    Wanna spend some real money, www.backcountrysupercubs.com rev 2.0
    the 1st production bird is now for sale used, and is in awesome shape. My buddy owns it, and just upgraded to a CarbonCub! Sucker! Lol

Dunerunner likes this.
  14. sec_monkey

[coo] [coo]

those would be perfect in @BTPost s AO

[dunno] any serious buyers though :(

Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Those Just birds sell like hot cakes in a logging camp, and the CarbonCubs are selling more birds then Boeing ever did during the cold war, so yea, folks is standing in line! If I had my Denali Super Scout put together and flying, it would sell purty quick, especially with all the really desireable bush mods and that stunning engine!

Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  16. sec_monkey

some of the engines plus parts are gettin tough to find .. so they can be quite desirable (y) (y)

17. sec_monkey

[​IMG]

CubCrafters Carbon Cub from the wiki 2014

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The only suck part is the cost of an engine, or engine parts! A new Lycoming IO-350 will kill a good chunk of 26k! The most popular engine of all time, and it still costs a small fortune to buy or overhaul!
    Best to build a "Experemental" and you can usually save about 1/3 to 1/2 the costs! It also removes the Fed Annual requirements which will also save serious coin!

Dunerunner, mysterymet and sec_monkey like this.
  19. sec_monkey

yep yep

the engines plus engine parts can be :eek::eek: expensive plus tough to find

They recommend the Continental O-200 [ about 100 hp ] or Lycoming O-360 [ about 180 hp ] or the newer ECi CC340/CC360 series ?

If all the parts plus coins are in place it can take about 700 to 1,100 hours to put the kit together or perhaps a bit longer, it depends .. not for the faint of heart ..

ya could probably do in 600 hours or less if ya had the time [chopper]

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

once a Dart, always a dart [hug}[winkthumb]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7