Used Genset from Construction company?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by TheJackBull, Jul 30, 2021.

?
  1. No, only New.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, why not?

14.3%
  3. Yes but only certain types/brands

85.7%
  1. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

Has any had experience using those tow behind generators for job site power and light towers for road work. I have found a few used ones locally that are about 10 years old and for the size they are rezonably priced. Im sure they are used hard and somewhat maintained but I have now experience using one and dont know how well they would convert to backup power for the home.
    Anyone ever use one for work and know how they are treated by those using them daily.
    can they produce ( i dont know if this is the word) "Clean" enough power to use as a backup at the house? I can find stuff like this and larger from $1000.00 up to $3000 for larger size or less hours.
    genset. genset 3. genset 2.

Dark Wolf, Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got one from a road construction company for $100, they killed it by running electric jack hammers off it. So I fixed it and still have it.

Dark Wolf, Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  3. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

Nice! I'll have to keep my eyes open for a $100 deal, Good work!

Dunerunner, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. nkawtg

nkawtg Monkey+++

As long as the engine was well maintained, 6600 hours shouldn't be too many. With proper maintenance they should last twice that long.

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I would do 3 things.
    1. Run a test of the engine oil for metal particles.
    2. Do compression test.
    3. Check the output of the generator with a scope.

Dunerunner, SB21, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Depends on brand/engine. I would give top preference to CAT, Cummins, or John Deere engines FIRST, along with Yanmar and Kubota, Isuzu, Isaki, and Mercedes as secondary options, but still pretty good! Less well known, but super awesome would be Waukesha ( the screaming pumpkins) or Clarke, followed by the gold standard, Fairbanks-Morse if a low speed, steady load is desired! Stay away from any brand that uses Iveco, Nissan (UD), TRW, Subaru ( Fuji Heavy Industries/Robin), Titan, and Iwata!
    If you find a Chrysler or Twin Buick, call me, I got loads of cash for you, take it off your hands!

Avoid the big tow behinds made/powered by Ford, General Motors, or Detroit Diesel ( DDEC), EMD, or International/IHC/Case, Massey-Fergusson or New Holland/Ford!

7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have two diesel light tower units, one with a Kubota engine and the other not sure of, haven't dived into it. The Kubota is 6kw with a Leroy Somer genny. Works like a champ. I put a Deep Sea controller on it and a 50 gallon saddle tank. Now I just have to save up to fill the tank....

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

If you find one from a rental company,, they usually do the recommended routine maintenance ,, but they may be wanting more money for them. Look for construction auctions in your area.

9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Yep. Forgot to mention that. Both of mine have close to 5k hours but have stickers all over them where the maintenance was performed by the rental company. The guy I bought mine from said the one (not Kubota) was due for a timing belt at 5000 hrs, and it has 4991 on the clock.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7