Using Vegetable oil as chainsaw bar oil?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by kckndrgn, Jun 27, 2022.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not sure where this really would fit, I've stopped using as much vegetable oil as possible, but it's in about damn near everything these days.

Saw this article and thought, finally a good use for the oil we have in the pantry that will never be used for cooking again.
    How Spore-Infused Canola Oil Supports the Forest Ecosystem | Praecipio

Got a few trees to cut down, may start thinning out my bar oil with the canola oil we have and transition to it completely, probably cheaper than the petroleum based stuff anyway.

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Watch your Bar/Chain temps, cooking oils do catch fire and burn!
    The chains ain't that sensitive to lubrication, but the bar sprocket/return roller is, though I wouldn't think it would be sensitive to what type of oil it's getting, as long as it's getting something!

Thunder5Ranch and sec_monkey like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When it sits in air too long it turns into varnish.

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

When I run out of chain oil I've used used motor oil seems to work OK

sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

That's all I've ever used. I mix one can of STP to a gallon of used oil works great.

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

If ya know anyone with a Mercedes Benz Diesel or Detroit Diesel, save the used motor oil and use that for bar and chain lube!
    Both those engines "Soot" their oil, which is like adding graphite to your normal oil, one of the secrets of why they last so long!
    Some Isuze/Iseki diesels and older Kubota and Yanmar also soot their oil, worth saving a few gallons to use for other things later!

7. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

one episode of Homestead Rescue - I believe the AK family gang was in MO for the rescue work - a hippie type owner wanted Marty to run veggie oil in his chainsaw - the look on his face is one of the better of the entire show's run .....

sec_monkey, CraftyMofo and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Yep, vegetable oil seems a bit too light (low viscosity), for bar chain oil, imho. Always just used 30 weight motor oil, myself.

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I wouldn't me,I use my burnt oil for pickling wood
    Really doubt you have the necessary viscosity to protect the bar and chain+ it'll smell like French fries?

20220626_181543.

10. secondrecon

secondrecon Monkey+++

When we were getting or cattle killed and butchered in the field by thieves, a year or so ago, they were using battery chain saws with veggie oil. It didn't mess up the meat that way. We finally caught them; they didn't like the outcome[patr][violin].

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7