1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Gear Review USMC MARPAT ILBE Main Pack Lid & Assault Backpack

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by stg58, Dec 21, 2013.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

Picked up a complete USMC ILBE with lid and the assault pack all in excellent shape today at a gun show from a Marine recently discharged, thanked him for his service and bought some of his gear.
    He was using a section of another guys tables and his sold quick so I met him later in the bar and thanked him again for his service with a beer.

While I have not used it yet I am extremely impressed with the construction and well thought out adaptability.
    Downloaded the manual and watched some video on it but I am still figuring out the darn thing:)

Here is a video and the manual (attached)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
    Dunerunner, Mike and Gunny Highway like this.
  2. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

I have two of these sitting in my front room, fully loaded. There is a LOT of real estate in these. Additionally, there are hydration bladders available for these packs.

Did yours come with the padded waist belt? If not get one.
    Mike and stg58 like this.
  3. stg58

Yes on the waist , no bladders. My CamelBak bladders will suffice for now.

Looking at the USMC manual there are many things that one could (will) add to the rig.

As we move forward the ILBE seems to be one thing we have gotten right.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    Mike, Gunny Highway and Falcon15 like this.
  4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey Site Supporter

I picked up 3 this last summer. Only two had the battle packs. Not so anammered with the battle packs..
  5. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Well, I have two and every adult in my group has one. I picked up 30 from a US Military auction for next to nothing. If you are willing to arrange and pay for shipping, military surplus auctions are the way to go. How do you think a majority of Mil Surp stores get their stuff?

-Additionally, my wife is making slip covers in MARPAT desert. Our gear is built around desert MARPAT due to our AoO. I am probably telling a lot of folks something they know, but many do not know this or forgot: slip covers are a quick way to completely change the cammo scheme without having to change all of your gear.
    For example: Operate in a snowy environment? White bed sheets can be very quickly converted into a covering for the pack.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. natshare

natshare Monkey+

Picked one up a few months ago, used. Had the main bag & cover, plus a radio bag (think that's how they referred to it) as a bonus, but no assault pack. No biggy, as I have a 5.11 MOAB-10 bag, in coyote brown, that came with add-on straps, so I can affix it to the back of the ILBE, and cover it up with the flap back there. I figure if I set the 5.11 bag up as a quick-carry 24 hour pack, it will allow me to stash the ILBE pack somewhere, temporarily, and strike out for shorter-length recon (or whatever) trips, and still have a good selection of gear with me.
    Mike likes this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It's one of my all time favorites. The USMC ILBE by Propper is definitely durable and rugged. I like the padding, and it's not too bad overall, and if you can get one at a decent price, it won't fail you. Sometimes finding the padded lumbar belt is hard, as stocks dry up, so best to get one with the belt. The top cover also isn't always included, so keep this in mind. I have used it for a couple years, and still keep it around in case I ever need to switch back. I currently use a Tasmanian Tiger pack, which fits my smaller body frame better, but I still have a tough time beating the thickness of fabric on the Propper pack. The only pack I have owned close to this would be the British PLCE by Webtex.

The USMC ILBE by Propper:
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Mike, stg58 and Falcon15 like this.
  8. Dont

Any of the veteran's hear of the vet stand downs?? Have attended some in my local area and they had been giving this pack out over the past year..
    Mike likes this.
  9. Nukashima

Nukashima Monkey

Have one.It's pretty decent for an expedition type pack. I agree with Dont - not enamored with the assault pack. However, I'm not planning on using the large pack for bugging out, but more for any small trips post collapse event. It defeats the purpose of quick and mobile movement and would attract a lot of attention.
    Mike likes this.
  10. Dont

Have a place in the hills and don't really need to wander around with a heavy pack. however I can envision the possibility needing to more gear out further and prepposition it in cache's..
    Mike likes this.
  11. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

I found them online from amazon but a reluctant to use amazon again can anyone tell me how easy the pack system is to get in the US? I would like to get one for hunting / camping. Here in Canada The only pack I think would hold up and is close to what I want is an Elberstock and it runs over 500 lol
  12. natshare

natshare Monkey+

Darwin, I can tell you that I bought mine from a private seller, on Amazon, and had no problems getting it. I can totally understand, however, if you're having it sent north of the border, how you may run into issues.

The only other place I've seen them online was Uncle Sam's retail outlet, and they wanted about 2-3 times as much as what I paid on Amazon for mine......and mine looks like it was barely used, before it was (more than likely) turned in for surplus. If you can find a friendly Amazon private seller, I'd try to go that route.
    Mike likes this.
  13. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

Thanks natshare, at the Amazon prices its worth another go I found them on there and wow cheap, Like I said up here prices are out to lunch.
    Mike and natshare like this.
  14. natshare

natshare Monkey+

Hey, I know this is a while after the fact, but thought I'd throw this out there, in case anyone's still looking to buy one of these. Awesome price, that's for sure!

Saw this, today, on gun-deals.com: Surplus USMC Main ILBE Pack - $47.99 (NOTE: Use Coupon Code SURPLUS To Get This Price!)

The website where you can find this (assuming they still have them in stock) is:

If these are in good shape, and complete, that price is ~$32 LESS than anywhere else I've seen them on sale! [woot]
  15. wolverine_173

wolverine_173 Monkey

my favorite high value pack

I also made a quick overview

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
    natshare likes this.
  16. natshare

natshare Monkey+

FYI, the link above, where they had it for $48 with a coupon code? It's now $45, with no code. :eek:
  17. wolverine_173

wolverine_173 Monkey

good find, even with 15 dollar shipping
  18. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+ Site Supporter+

I just pick one of these up for the ultimate price, as a gift. I loaded it down and it still rides nice. I'll not be carrying that much weight in it fully loaded but I wanted to feel what 70#s felt like.
    natshare, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

There are a lot of these packs on the market right now since the USMC has dumped them via DRMO for new packs. If anybody was ever interested in the USMC ILBE backpacks by Propper, now is the time to grab one!

Just search Ebay or your favorite reseller outlet while supplies are high to get the best price.

natshare and stg58 like this.
  20. stg58

We now have 3 sets of these and like them more and more as we use them.

Thanks for the tip on price and number 4 may be on the way soon:cool:
    natshare and Brokor like this.
  1. H.I.S Survival
  2. phorisc
  3. melbo
  4. DarkLight
  5. off grid survival
  6. hollisticprepper
  7. hillbill
  8. Hanzo
  9. Brokor
  10. TheJackBull