USSF?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Marvin L. Steinhagen, Aug 10, 2018.

1. If the U.S. creates a new military branch, Space Force, who are we defending ourselves from? Who are we going to attack? If our opponents are terrestrial we have a chance, but if they might be X.T. and obviously have the technology to get here, "I don't theenks so Queecks Draw". I am all in favor of a program the get out and explore the universe, just not in the same way out predecessors did the earth. Will we have a "Prime Directive"?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Space command will most likely be cyber warfare, military satellites, anti-satellite ops, weather manipulation, and missile command in my opinion.

Maybe someday active missile defense, solar concentrators, and kinetic energy weapons.

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The Pentagon requested this new branch, so there must be something going on (unless it's a slush fund scheme). I think @Zimmy is likely correct on this.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

In a way, it kind of makes sense, we have always looked to the heavens and have always wanted to know what's out there beyond what we can see. We now have Billionares who can launch into space so it's no longer the preview of nation states. I'm sure there are other things like war fighting and defensive measures included, and I see it as inevitable that we would be doing something like this! Are we actually ready and capable of operations in space yet? Reliable, safe, long term? Who really knows at this Point! I could unroll some tin foil, but I think that's a little too far, For Now! I guess it was decided we "Need" so now we have to pay for it!

Gator 45/70, Zimmy and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

It's pretty simple when you consider it from their strategic, and, I suppose, even their tactical perspective. The Pentagon requested it, as well they should, actually, they should have requested it much earlier but, considering who was in office, I expect their request fell on deaf ears. Again, it is simple..one always should try to control the high ground in a fight/conflict. In this case it is a bit more: he who controls space, controls the earth. This is a very big deal as, more than likely, the next major conflict will be in space, given we cannot nuke each other here on earth, or, at the very least Space will be a major player in that conflict.

I imagine Lockheed and General Dynamics and all the other Defense Industries players are licking their chops over the billions that will be coming their way...while we peons still cannot get decently priced medicine.

6. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Space X probably isn't going to be a cooperative on OPSEC related to military and other government satellites getting put into orbit as NASA was.

With the US Airforce carved out of NASA, NASA will have to learn to become more dynamic, efficient and economical. This could change mission scope more towards science and a partnership with the European Space Agency.

Space X could then take on the commercial space industry of launching and repairing private satellites on a for profit basis. NASA was never going to keep that market. I believe China has gotten some of that business already.

Any combination of the above could happen.

7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Just like the Army has a Navy and an air force and the Navy has both an Army (USMC and my apologies) and an air force - the Air Force had to do something.

While in SciFi books and such, it has been assumed the Navy would be the natural branch to start space ops, the Air Foce may be the better choice.

The Army has a space component, as does the Navy as well. Making a new branch and forcing all of the services to merge their assets into the new USSF would like save money and provide a better mission focus.

I'll stop here until you all stop laughing.....

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Blame Big Pharma, not the Military-Industrial complex for high drugs prices - and blame the lawyers as well....

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I've always been puzzled about the existence of the Air Force as a separate entity. All the other services have an air branch, so the AF mission is a bit obscure. EXCEPT the strategic arm (missiles and long range bombers) all other functions are, it seems to me, better accomplished by the branches that have air arms in support of their own missions. All that over the dam, it makes a bit of sense (to me) to let the AF have space and forget this silly business of a space force until we really have a need for force in space.

But I'm still confused.

10. duane

duane Monkey+++

As set up in 1947, the navy had the sea, army had the land and the air force had the air. Surface to surface missiles and air defense missiles were to be army controlled, air defense and attack functions, think SAC, were to be air force, and sea control was to be navy. That has not worked out and kept up with the changes in defense needs and technology . Best example is the poaching by both the navy and air force of ICBM,s, the air force almost fanatical desire to limit its expenditures on army support functions, para troop transports, forward area ground attack and defense, tactical recon and data gathering, etc, as well as the duplication of intel gathering by the USAF, CIA, Navy and Army, and all the redundant communication facilities. Part of the desire for a space force is to limit costs by preventing duplication and to replace the almost total expenditures on space being used in site support to cut the grass. NASA in its creation almost single handed swallowed the space program and stopped everything but their solution, the shuttle, spent almost all of their research money on empire building and overhead, and has rode the dead horse to the point that either poorly funded private developed launch platforms or Russian systems have to be used to get into space.
    I think the whole idea of a space force is a last ditch hail Mary pass to attempt to protect the country. We are almost totally dependent on a massive communication system for all of our day to day life, internet, GPS for aircraft and ship control, cell phones, business interconnection for banking, finance, inventory control, etc , and destroying a few satellites and a few fiber optic centers would cripple the whole country. It could be physical, knocking out the birds and the centers, it could be cyber with the proper cyber attack, or EMP either natural or man made. Much of it is no longer just an external threat, ICBM's, the internet and mass communications has made Salt Lake City as much a target today as Wake Island was in 1940. All members of the present systems will fight to expand their ranks and control and the money that will be spent and we end up 15 year later with a product that doesn't work, isn't an answer to the real needs, and is obsolete. We all know how well the knee jerk reactions creating Homeland Defense has worked out and I think Trump in his wisdom is trying to jump start an alternative that at least has some small chance of working. I don't give it much chance as the whole swamp will resist and defend their rice bowl to the last man and woman.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I want to switch to the space force for my last couple years before retirement.

oldawg, Bandit99, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  12. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Or, a grand scheme to police space like we try to do the world....

Zimmy likes this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I am in...space pirate.....Hell Ya!!!! [booze] [dancindevil]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bandit99 and Zimmy like this.
  14. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

All of the above as listed by Zimmy with the addition of asteroid research, course manipulation, mining, and destruction (as needed).

oldawg and Zimmy like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm certain there are weaponized satellites in orbit by every nation who can launch one.
    Sounds cool until you find out that your job is constantly scraping micrometeorites off the hull before you apply yet one more coat of paint.

16. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I want to be a door gunner on a space shuttle.

oldawg, Yard Dart and Bandit99 like this.
  17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Goodness mm. Everyone wants to be the joystick jockey or a door gunner...nobody wants to be the covfefe machine barrista. ;)

18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I wouldn't be a duck or a squid, why would some one want to be a pidgin ?
    You can forget being some specialty in space ,every mate would need to be equally trained .
    Not just doctors but engineers and technicians and the grunt that has to go out side and plug holes . .

19. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

New arms race? Who are we wanting to bankrupt into the dust bin of history?
    China? Russia? or ourselves?

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Puts me in mind of the submarine force. Yep, if it was on the boat, we were trained to run it. (Back in the day, anyhow. Dunno what it's like now.) But you are right, until the space craft are big enough for several hundred crew, it'll be all hands, all duties.

BTPost, Yard Dart and Zimmy like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7