Vertical shaft engines

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by SB21, Jun 18, 2019.

1. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Not sure if this is the right area . Anyway , I've got a few 12 - 20 horse old lawnmower engines , the mowers are junk , and I'd like to use the engines for something useful . I've looked online and the most I can find is put it on a go kart with some 90 degree gear do-hicky , but I don't need a go kart . Anyone know of a useful project for these motors?

techsar, 3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

damoc, techsar, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Generator, Water Pump, Air Compressor, Hydrolic Power Pack, to just name a few...

duane, damoc, 3cyl and 4 others like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Post Hole diggers comes to mind! Vertical draw water pumps ( make good trash pumps) Mower drives for Reel mowers! Log Splitter dive ( Low Pro) and probably a bunch of other stuff I haven't thought of yet! A Red Neck outboard might be kind of cool, or a hovercraft fan drive!

5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yes I know of the numerous possibilities,, but designs and hardware needed and where to get the stuff is my question I guess. Other questions like where do I find engine rpm rates , rpm and torque rates or requirements for certain applications. Gear reductions or higher gear info. Just a few questions and thoughts here.

techsar, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Northern Tool and Equipement might be a good resource for that info and parts!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Engine OEMs will have all the Engine Specs for every model and configuration of their products...

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Any drone plans?

techsar and SB21 like this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Hell , I'd be doing good to make that Redneck Mud motor UraKi mentioned ,,, not to sure about my flying skills,,, might have to install a self destruct button so It doesn't fall outta the air and sever a few heads of unsuspecting pedestrians .
    One of my reasons for asking these questions is , I've got an older limb chipper , leaf shredder with a blown out side shaft motor . If I could redneck engineer a vertical shaft motor to this and make it work would be great . But if I had to spend 300 bucks for a 90 degree gear drive , then it wouldn't be worth it , as I could buy a new motor for less . I'm just looking for possibilities and useful ideas for these motors . Another reason for the RPM and Torque specs is if I could make that chipper run at a higher RPM and mulch up bigger material than the 3 inch limb thickness specs it lists at now . I know this would also depend on the RPM and safe operating specs of the chipper head itself .
    Thank you all for your input . The well pump idea could come in handy for my well in case power goes out , but my generator could power that for a while . but in SHTF situation , if I run out of fuel , neither one is going to work . Then I'll have to install my old timey hand pump . Just looking for ideas . My Dad was an Engineer and knew this stuff , I'm just the hands on let's get'er going redneck . :D Thanks again .

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Wind mill or water wheel with a 3 foot pulley will turn that alternator!

techsar likes this.
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

And that brings up another idea I've pondered about . I've got a pretty good sized creek behind the house , water runs at a steady flow , but not real fast , at normal conditions . I have thought of installing a water wheel to power an alternator to charge batteries to run electrical for the house . But in heavy rains the water level will rise and flow pretty quick . So , I've pondered on how to install a water wheel that can rise and fall with the water level , and also be sturdy enough so a tree washing downstream in a flood wouldn't demolish my equipment . and knowing the speeds , RPM's the wheels need to turn to supply the power needed .
    I'm full of ideas , just short on time and experience .

12. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

techsar, Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

While I have considered building one of those , maybe to even pull behind the 4 wheeler , but no bigger than my property is and the amount of trees to dodge , as an offset piece of equipment , this would really be kind of worthless for my use . I thought about making one for a friend of mine , but after the multitude of help I've given him , and the spur of the minute jump and run to his aid , and the lack of willingness for him to help me in my time of need , I just don't see me dedicating my time , money and resources to very many people these days . It's a dog eat dog world out there .

Gafarmboy, techsar and ghrit like this.
  14. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I see lots of stationary engine uses with a belt to change the angle. Look at a Chevy Corvair to see how the angle change is done.

15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thanks for all of the input . I think I'm going to build myself a woodsplitter . I've already got some of the stuff I'll need . I'll start picking up the other parts and drawing up my plans . I won't be getting started right away , so that'll give me time to look around , and think it all thru so I can add all of my little ideas . One thing I'm definetly going to add is , at least , a lever activated loading arm . Possibly a hydraulic loader . And maybe a pivot cylinder for a stand up design . Maybe this will kickstart my brain into some other ideas . Thanks again .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We built one years ago,Like 1986,Used a small 12'' ram to lift the tray after a log was rolled on it !

SB21 likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Simplest one I have ever seen was rather large but was a tow behind unit.
    It was a giant guillotine. a heavy steel plate on the ground and I beams on either side about 4' apart and a blade 3' high .powered by a VW engine . We split some good size biscuits . beauty was you didn't have to lift the biscuits onto any thing ,just roll them in position, split and pick up the pieces, smaller biscuits could be put side by side and make quick work of it.
    If you are building do your self a favor and do some schooling on hydraulics. Look at how others have done it and do NO shortcuts . If you plan on being creative , expect to spend a lot more for the project.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I have been looking at different ideas , and hydraulic cylinders , and the needed tonnage rating required to split various woods . Something I did find out that was really surprising , I found a chart on the densities of most of the hard woods in my AO , and of the hardest woods we have around here is the Dogwood tree . Just thought that was interesting , and most Dogwoods around here rarely get over 6 inches in diameter .

19. Kruel J

Kruel J Monkey

I've had hit and miss luck with my vertical shaft.

:ROFLMAO:

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If you can keep a reasonable distance between the horizontal driven shaft and the vertical driver shaft, a belt drive can operate readily with a 90 degree twist. A minimum of 4 or 5 diameters of the larger pulley will do fine.

duane, Dont, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7