VFW Action Corps. Veterans Empowerment Act, would dismantle the VA health care system,

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by HK_User, Nov 27, 2017.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Background:
    Congressman Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) recently introduced a bill that would break our promise to veterans. H.R. 4457, the Veterans Empowerment Act, would dismantle the VA health care system, charge veterans for service-connected health care, and reduce VA to an insurance program for veterans. Congressman Lamborn and bill cosponsors, Congressmen Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) and Trent Franks (R-Ariz.) must not be allowed to advance this dangerous proposal.
    Take Action: Urge your member of Congress to oppose H.R. 4457 and let Congress know if they cannot take care of America’s veterans, then Congress should quit creating them.

THEY ALWAYS make it sound like they are here to help!

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Haven't done any background on these fools, but I'd be surprised if any of them served.

HK_User and Bandit99 like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

These S.O.B.s... Personally, I believe that the VA is crap and needs a total face lift, possibly even removed, deleted; however, there is and was a commitment made to these individuals, a contract, and some of those contracts were signed in blood... No. This would be wrong and unjust unless it was something that without a shadow of doubt truly benefits vets...

Personally, I think the VA has outlived its usefulness and has shown that it costs way too much for what is given. It's corrupt and inefficient. In my world, I would dismantle it and give the vets access to any and all doctors and hospitals of their choice throughout the states and rid us of most of these VA facilities. I say most for there are some like Walter Reed with its burn facilities that does truly pay their way with advancements and critical necessity. As far as VA administration for pensions, medical costs and etc. it might be a necessary evil as I would think that combining all retired service members into one support organization would be more economical and streamlined as opposed to each service maintaining and having their own; however, the current VA does not even do this with any high regard. Perhaps, the Social Security Administration for administration purposes could be utilized instead but I doubt it... The point is to indeed improve the system and not to just do it more cheaply and improving it needs greatly.

Dont, mysterymet and HK_User like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm in NC , so I'll be looking into this asshole. And voting appropriately.

HK_User likes this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Please do that. Also, let us know about the accuracy of the proposal. The way things are these days, and no mud for HK_User for that post, there is always something hidden in the published stories. Something smells if true as stated.

(Reducing the VA to something useful instead of obstructionist would be a real advancement in dot mil vet's lives.)

SB21 likes this.
  6. HK_User

This started with Obama, he wanted all vets to "pay their own way" even their service connected problems. I guess he was so dumbed down that he had not a clue about service connected disabilities.
    H.R. 4457, the Veterans Empowerment Act, how to oppose it.
    The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S.

ghrit likes this.
  7. Bandit99

My short and sweet answer to "pay their own way" is "They have! Some paid with 20 years or more service (and believe me, it is not all roses!). Some paid with an arm or a leg. Some gave everything." I saw this as a very young man at the end of Vietnam and here is comes again. It is always the same damn thing, "O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away"; But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play..." (Kipling) They made some very good changes to increase enlistments like some of the educational benefits where they can be transferred to a wife or child but now watch as they chop them away again down to the bone. One reason I support these initiatives is that it not only helps our military obtain and maintain manpower levels but it also benefits society. These military members will someday return to the civil workforce (or their children) and this will increase their potential employment as a taxpaying citizen. Makes more sense to me than a lot of these 'give'em a free mobile phone' and let them continue to be a tax burden programs.

oldawg, Dont and HK_User like this.
  8. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

not a happy camper here... partially disable VA comp...

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I found Meadows website but couldn't find anything about this bill on his site. Not very ' puter savy here. Will keep searching. He did have contact info there , I may have to do that to get more info.

10. HK_User

My first reaction about Obama's statement was "What ?" I asked incredulously" just taking it as the action of another puppet. Then I realized was yet one more way to divide and weaken the U.S.
    What some call Diversidad cultural is really a division of our county in the usual political way as to overthrow the US from within.

Obunan and crew had but one plan and they still hope to win.

11. Bandit99

Well, the bill is real (See below) "H.R.4457 - To amend title 38, United States Code, to establish the Veterans Accountable Care Organization and to provide veterans access to private health insurance plans, and for other purposes."

I haven't read it yet but will do so now...but I don't like it already as 'private health insurance plans' sets off my alarms...They don't need friggin Health Insurance. They need Health Care which was promised to them. The two are not the same and never will be, apples and oranges. This is one of the damn reasons we have so much damn Health Care problems in this country is due to Health Insurance and especially when you consider they are in bed with the drug companies and the government which allows their Laissez Faire pricing.

Example, last month at wife's check up the doc gave her a prescription and even TOLD ME "I see you don't have medical insurance so if this is too expensive come back to see me." It was too expensive, way too expensive, especially when compared with the replacement which even the Doctor AND Pharmacist admitted was darn near the same thing: $635 vs $30. Health Insurance is a major contributor to the country's Health Care problem and a dirty word in my book.

EDIT: Well, I guess I won't read it as it is so new it hasn't even been put up yet. It has just been introduced by a Rep Lamborn a Republican out of Colorado...

H.R.4457 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): To amend title 38, United States Code, to establish the Veterans Accountable Care Organization and to provide veterans access to private health insurance plans, and for other purposes.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Rep. Lamborn Introduces Veterans Empowerment Act

Washington, November 21, 2017 | 0 comments

Representative Doug Lamborn (CO-05) introduced the Veterans Empowerment Act in the House today. This landmark reform legislation allows veterans to choose civilian medical providers or use existing VA medical facilities, without requiring VA pre-authorization.

The Veterans Empowerment Act comes in the wake of systemic issues in VA programs widely documented since the 2014 nationwide scandal. Last Thursday, a VA Inspector General report highlighted the falsified patient wait times at the Colorado VA for veterans with Post Traumatic Stress. The legislation would give veterans options similar to the highly-successful Tricare Standard program long in use by the active duty military community.

This bill throws out the idea of acceptable patient wait times and eliminates the requirement of the veteran to ask for VA permission to use civilian medical providers,” said Congressman Lamborn. “It gives veterans full authority to use the existing VA system or not.”

Our veterans deserve the highest degree of care. Giving them options to choose their healthcare plans and doctors is empowering. This bill means veterans, especially those with extreme disabilities, can expect to have their needs taken care of quickly and efficiently. Its good policy and makes sense.”

Rep. Mark Meadows (NC-11) and Rep. Franks (AZ-08) are original cosponsors of the bill. This legislation builds on work done last Congress by Conference Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers (WA-05) to ensure that veterans have access to the high-quality care they deserve.

Note: Critics have inaccurately claimed this approach would “privatize” the VA. The Washington Post gave this claim three Pinocchio’s… twice. Articles are here and here.
    I'm Not sure that the Washington posts Pinocchio's are merited... if you do not have a 60% or higher disability rating...
    https://lamborn.house.gov/uploadedfiles/lamborn_veterans_empowerment_act.pdf

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ah, the wapo. Well, three pinnochios, the better to smell the elderly fish I sensed earlier. As @Bandit99 notes, it's a bit early to do more than see what develops. But if wapo smells decay, it's an odds on bet that there is something not quite up to snuff.

Dont likes this.
  14. HK_User

That and the fact that the Obunos started this ball roiling yes roiling > turbid or muddy by disturbing the sediment....

15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It seems that the Republicans are continuing to roil that ball , and with some enthusiasm...they must like Obama's VA koolaid. TRump's wall has got to be funded somehow.

16. Bandit99

Rep. Doug Lamborn (Colorado) is a Republican and he introduced the Bill...but let's wait until we see the Bill...

17. HK_User

"Summary of voting record: Representative Lamborn opposes taxing businesses, consumer protection, disaster relief, funding education, environmental protection, financial sector regulation, gun control, public health, humane immigration policy, labor rights and wages, avoiding default, increasing revenues, taxing the wealthy, a robust safety net, domestic surveillance, women's rights and supports big business, hawkish foreign policy, taxing the middle class, military spending."

What you see is right off his site.
    Looks a bit flaky as some of the text could go either way.
    Lamborn

Favors
    the middle class
    4.7% of the time

[​IMG]

Favors
    the wealthy
    95.3% of the time

Favors
    broad civil rights
    22.3% of the time

[​IMG]

Favors
    narrow civil rights
    77.7% of the time

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  18. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Note: this view on his voting record is tainted by postmodern/ neomarxist philosophy. I would rather disband the VA and give vets an option to participate in tricare. I could go to the VA but I’d rather PAY than go the the VA!

BTW the term broad civil rights is just a code word for social justice and forced equality of outcomes not equality of opportunity!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
    3M-TA3, ghrit, Bandit99 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bandit99

@mysterymet "I could go to the VA but I’d rather PAY than go to the VA!"

That right there tells me something is certainly wrong and they are in breech of contract because they cannot provide care that is equivalent to the civilian sector. It also sounds like a slimy way to duck their responsibility. I only did 8 years so I don't get VA medical but I would expect it to be at least equal or better to civil care and, frankly, there is no valid reason for it not to be. They might have to adjust expenditures to accommodate it but certainly possible.

20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Some VA's are very good and some are quite bad. It gets down to the local culture created by the Medical Center Director and their executive staff. The top level of the VA as well as any other government organization is filled with career SES's who are only about keeping their jobs and building their own power base. At their level they are very distanced with what the VA is to Veterans. Secretaries and Presidents come and go, but regardless of what reorg takes place these people stay the same. This is why nothing ever really changes.

As the various layers get closer to the actual Medical Centers is where you see leadership increasingly get tuned into the job at hand. That's why local leadership is the make it or break it factor when it comes to patient care.

I've made week long job related visits to the majority of VAMC's from Texas and it's a real mix. Even in the bad sites there are still people who understand that it's not a job but a mission. If you want a standout VA go to Portland - it's a true center of excellence. On the other hand you couldn't drag me into Loma Linda if I was still conscious.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7