Walk, Walk, more walk...

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by dagdevıren, Mar 31, 2021.

Tags:
  1. dagdevıren

dagdevıren Monkey

Hello guys, did you know that a German infantryman can walk 15-16 miles on ww1?

I love long nature walks, I walk 11-12 miles at most.

Who else likes to walk? Both health and preparation for doom.

Infantry is one step ahead, stay away from highways!

Alanaana, Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome Forest !!!

SB21, Tully Mars and dagdevıren like this.
  3. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Which is no problem when you are in the prime of your life, but try doing that on a daily basis when you get past the age of 50, which is around the time that your body’s “Check Engine Light” starts to really light up.

ForumMonkey, toydoc, madmax and 10 others like this.
  4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I am sixty-five and walk between 10 and 13 miles per day according to my estimates. A good many of those miles are paced back and forth in my cage and there is actually an indentation in the floor tiles around my computer. My favorite walk is back and forth between my coffee pot, my guitars, and the bottle of Jack Daniels. It is a rigorous exercise in frustration and depression and has been my daily regiment for several years.

5. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I can hike the heeler pack about 3 miles 2-3 times a week.

I used to run marathons and triathlons.

I endeavor to grpw old gracefully.

6. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Heck, you are getting far more than walking exercise, think of all the arm curls!

dagdevıren, SB21, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I did plenty of marches of 15-20 miles with pack and rifle. In my fifties I thought nothing of dropping cars off at the remote lot and walking the five miles home. I like to walk.

I've always wanted to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Since I'm a little busted up I figured I'd need extra time, maybe a couple extra months if I see something interesting off-trail.

At 60 these hiking dreams seemed to be dimming... until today. Since knee surgery in 2018, and ten weeks shoeless on the beach, I've worked in running shoes, eliminating the 15mm prescription build-up in my left boot. I was still winning 5K races against much younger runners, but hip and knee pain had been getting slowly worse and worse. I attributed that to Covid inactivity. I felt that the reworked knee had compensated for the leg length difference. It obviously hadn't. I put on my old Redwings today and it was like the pain switch had been flipped OFF. They're in need of new soles, and my newer pair needs more break-in time, but I know now that I still need the correction that I'd been using since 2002. My cobbler will be happy see me.

Walking has always been something that I enjoy, and the walk from Georgia to Maine is looking like it could still be possible.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My reHab walks are up to .6 miles daily, so far, but I am tring to extend them just a bit more each day... Trying to get to at least 2 miles by the first of May when I will be going home...

9. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

This was Fed 21 total

67 and trying to fight off Reaper

I spent over a “work week” in Feb walking.

This is “only” what shows/tracked via my Garmin Fenix 6sPro/Strava app.

I probably doubled that in total steps Friday m the test of the days activities

442A4D5D-77E4-4BB4-BBBB-3AF1DAB17E1A.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I like walking and jogging. Then again being a smaller person I wouldn’t be doing it in the 100lb pack.

11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

It might've been a smaller Marine that got stuck lugging the 29 pound mortar base plate I found along side Lyman Road on Camp Lejeune one day. I picked it up and threw it in my truck, drove past the unit that had ditched it, identified their unit from their guidon, and delivered it to their Sergeant Major. I'm sure he had great fun with that situation when they got back to the armory.

12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"...did you know that a German infantryman can walk 15-16 miles on ww1?"

"Well, a Zulu can run 20 miles, RUN, and fight a battle at the end of it!" - ZULU (1964, Michael Caine, Stanley Baker)

I always wanted to say that...LOL! It's one of my most favorite movies that's ever been made.

Ura-Ki, dagdevıren and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We need more Zulus here.

Ura-Ki and dagdevıren like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Hell, that ain't nuffin, The Nazi's used to march hundreds of miles while cranked up on drugs during WW-II!

I used to do Iron Man drills, HALO into some bay, lake, or remote LZ, Swim or hike for miles while humping all my gear and weapons, set security, and wait for a pickup that got "Moved" and then had to hike or swim, and keep in mind, all of this was stealthy, and usually under the noses of those tasked with keeping watch for such things! Never got caught for real, but did get caught once for the "experience" of being tortured for days while being questioned about everything under the sun!!!! Fun times!

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have been doing stairs at a shrine. Over 500 stairs straight up and it amazes me how out of shape the youth are. I saw a teenager losing her lunch halfway up. More people need to just get out and walk, it is one of the best exercises both physically and mentally.

16. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

I started walking the dog more and eating better. since June I've lost 50lbs. I'm feeling good enough to start hiking in the woods again! nothing like a nature walk, except a nature walk with a .22lr, lol.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Way to go, Motomom34!

You are excatly right.

Mankind is designed to walk (and run) on soft soil carrying heavy burdens. If that exercise is not performed, it's exactly like a bird not flying. Physical degeneration sets in.

And it sets in fast.

The author Wilbur Smith relates that in "Goldie" (the gold mines) the strong and fit young native men that hire on as miners must be toughened up to withstand the rigors of hardrock mining.

So they are started on a careful set or endurance exercises -- which consist of repeatedly stepping up and down on a box one step high. The heat and humidity are slowly increased, and the speed of stepping and length of the conditioning sessions are slowly increased.

Throughout, the heart rate and breathing of each person is carefully monitored, and the exercise rate is adjusted to keep them in the optimum range. They get maximum conditioning without being overworked into heat stress or oxygen deprivation.

Thus, unlike too many high school football players at practice, none of them suddenly fall over dead.

In two weeks the new workers are fully fit and ready to work in the deep drifts.

Here is a littlebit of information most people don't know: Sweat is not an indicator of good, healthy, exercise.

It's the body's desperate last-ditch effort to prevent death from overheating.

It's your emergency cooling system on overdrive.

The human body is incredibly heat-sensitive. It's fine at the normal range of 92.8 - 99 degrees F.

The body can tolerate105 degrees F. for a short time. After that, it requires significant medical treatment or it dies.

That's about the same as saying people are like race cars that can run indefinitely at 5,000 RPM -- but if they rev it up to 5,303 RPM their engine explodes.

ForumMonkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I started walkin a few months ago. Started at 2 mile now up to 4 to 6 when I walk. Get maybe 4 days a week in feeling better.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

In the starting stage, I feel very tired to start walking in the morning. Later it will gives me more joy and gives health benefits to my body. Right Now I walk more than 8 kms daily.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I started weight loss and physical activity about 4 months ago. Something finally snapped in me that said "do it or you won't see your grandkids".
    I started with my diet first, switched to a full on Keto/Paleo/Primal/PHD whatever you want to call it. Started following some doctors and nutrition people on YT (Dr Ken Berry, Thomas Delauer, Autumn Bates), really started to watch what I eat. Went from being pre-diabetic (A1C over 6.0) to an A1C of 5.2, lowered triglycerides, etc. Then started walking. 30 min every morning before coffee and before breakfast, so in a fasted state.
    After about 3 weeks of the walking I started jogging 1 mile, then 2, now with an occasional 3.1 mil jog.
    I feel great and can do so much more in life than I could last year at this time. I still have some weight I want to drop, my goal is to be around 200lbs, I'm currently at 214, down from 245 4 months ago.
    Funny when I try to explain that eating healthy is cheaper than eating junk because while I may eat more at a meal, I usually have 1 to 2 meals a day and I'm almost never "hungry".

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Dunerunner
  6. DarkLight
  7. Hanzo
  8. UncleMorgan
  9. Motomom34
  10. DarkLight
  11. monkeyananda
  12. Motomom34
  13. Motomom34
  14. 3M-TA3
  15. TXKajun
  16. hollisticprepper