*** WARNING****Santa grants a final wish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Dec 12, 2016.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

If this one does not get you then you have a hard heart.....

Sam Venable: Santa grants a final wish
    “The telephone rang. It was a nurse I know who works at the hospital. She said there was a very sick 5-year-old boy who wanted to see Santa Claus.
    “I told her, ‘OK, just let me change into my outfit.’ She said, ‘There isn’t time for that. Your Santa suspenders are good enough. Come right now.’ ”

Schmitt-Matzen got to the hospital in 15 minutes. He met the lad’s mother and several family members.

“She’d bought a toy from (the TV show) PAW Patrol and wanted me to give it to him,” he said, voice growing husky. “I sized up the situation and told everyone, ‘If you think you’re going to lose it, please leave the room. If I see you crying, I’ll break down and can’t do my job.’ ”

Nobody entered with him. They watched, sobbing, from a hallway window in the Intensive Care Unit.

I’m now going to relay what happened next, just as Schmitt-Matzen spoke to me. Space does not allow inclusion of the numerous pauses he took while struggling to maintain composure:

“When I walked in, he was laying there, so weak it looked like he was ready to fall asleep. I sat down on his bed and asked, ‘Say, what’s this I hear about you’re gonna miss Christmas? There’s no way you can miss Christmas! Why, you’re my Number One elf!

“He looked up and said, ‘I am?’

“I said, ‘Sure!’

“I gave him the present. He was so weak he could barely open the wrapping paper. When he saw what was inside, he flashed a big smile and laid his head back down.

‘“They say I’m gonna die,’ he told me. ‘How can I tell when I get to where I’m going?’

“I said, ‘Can you do me a big favor?’

“He said, ‘Sure!’

“When you get there, you tell ’em you’re Santa’s Number One elf, and I know they’ll let you in.

“He said, ‘They will?’

“I said, ‘Sure!’

“He kinda sat up and gave me a big hug and asked one more question: ‘Santa, can you help me?’

“I wrapped my arms around him. Before I could say anything, he died right there. I let him stay, just kept hugging and holding on to him.

“Everyone outside the room realized what happened. His mother ran in. She was screaming, ‘No, no, not yet!’ I handed her son back and left as fast as I could.

“I spent four years in the Army with the 75th Rangers, and I’ve seen my share of (stuff). But I ran by the nurses’ station bawling my head off. I know nurses and doctors see things like that every day, but I don’t know how they can take it.’”

Sam Venable: Santa grants a final wish

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

allergies... they are hitting me hard right now....

Tully Mars and stg58 like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Them ain't no allergies, it's just sweating eyeballs.

4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Oh neighbor who took us into town today, they told me and mom this story, saying they also had an 'allergic reaction' to hearing it

5. stg58

Bad enough a five year dies but around Christmas in Santa's arms...

No allergies here, it is called crying..

6. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Ditto...

Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grudge Monkey

Balled my heart out I did! Nothing worse then a sick and terminal child, and at this time of year, Yup, pass the tissues!

8. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

Saw that story yesterday.................rough

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Santa gathered his strength and made that child's last moments magical. Sad but beautiful story.

Capt. Tyree, oldawg, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  10. stg58

Folks who help kids are special people and Eric Schmitt-Matzen is a very special person.

Eric Schmitt-Matzen looks every bit the part of Santa Claus.

His 6-foot frame carries 310 pounds, leaving “just enough of a lap for the kids to sit on,” he says with a gentle Kringley chuckle right out of Central Casting.

No fake facial fuzz for this guy. Schmitt-Matzen’s snowy beard is the real thing, albeit regularly bleached to maintain its whiteness. His shag is so spectacular, in fact, it won first place in the “natural full beard, styled moustache” division of a 2016 national contest sponsored by the Just For Men hair products company.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Ura-Ki, Tully Mars, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  11. stg58

Wow! I really hope this guy is not a lying sack of crap..

Story of Santa Claus with dying child can't be verified
    Story of Santa Claus with dying child can't be verified

Last Sunday, the News Sentinel published the story of a Campbell County Santa Claus actor, Eric Schmitt-Matzen, who said a terminally ill child had died in his arms.

Immediately, the story went viral. Follow-up interviews and video recordings by local and national television outlets showed a very emotional Schmitt-Matzen retelling the story in virtually the same words he gave to the News Sentinel.

Schmitt-Matzen had not approached the News Sentinel originally with the story. The information came to the newspaper indirectly through a known source, and Schmitt-Matzen was then contacted and asked about the incident. At the time of that initial interview, he said he had promised to protect the identities of the child’s family and the nurse who summoned him to the hospital bedside. In follow-up interviews, he has continued to hold this position and stand by his account.

Since publication, the News Sentinel has done additional investigation in an attempt to independently verify Schmitt-Matzen’s account. This has proven unsuccessful. Although facts about his background have checked out, his story of bringing a gift to a dying child remains unverified. The News Sentinel cannot establish that Schmitt-Matzen’s account is inaccurate, but more importantly, ongoing reporting cannot establish that it is accurate.

Therefore, because the story does not meet the newspaper’s standards of verification, we are no longer standing by the veracity of Schmitt-Matzen’s account.

Jack McElroy, editor

Sam Venable, columnist and original author

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@stg58 I saw this new report yesterday. My children last night told me twice to have more faith in humanity. That news report above says they contacted Santa, but he refused to identify the family. Kind of strange to see a news outlet actually investigating but this story is one that most would want privacy on. Whether it is true or false, I think it reads like a true Christmas miracle, the love and spirit that the holiday truly represents.

So I am going to have faith in humanity and believe this did happen. I have faith that the parents will have their privacy protected and they can heal from their loss without being placed in the public spotlight.

stg58 and Ganado like this.
  13. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

14. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I hope it is true.

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

If it had been me, I wouldn't give up the name or the family to the media unless they (the family) specifically asked me to. What family would want the animals from the media beating down their door trying to either sensationalize the story or hunt for dirty laundry? No thanks. I'll give the Santa the benefit of the doubt.

Byte, stg58, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7