Water Glassing Eggs for Refrigeration Free Storage

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by 3M-TA3, Mar 27, 2020.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I ran across the term "water glassing" as a way to store eggs on another forum. Even though I come from agricultural roots and both parents as children had no electricity I had never heard of this technique.

A couple of notes:
    • Use unwashed eggs to keep the water glass solution from changing the flavor
    • Hydrated lime can be found inexpensively in the masonry supply section of a large hardware store. Do not use gardening lime.

arleigh, Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Do a search on site for "sodium silicate" or "water glass." It's been a longish while, but there is or was a fairly extensive thread on egg storage.

Dunerunner, chelloveck and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. I was told that sodium silicate can be used to seal cracked engine heads also. Only told of it, never saw it done or heard particulars.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

for any of the long term egg storage methods you start out with fresh eggs - right out from under the hen - you want the "bloom" left on the eggs - just damp wipe off any poop >>> this has nothing to do with keeping the water glass from changing the taste/flavor - ???? - I've never heard anything about this

water glassing is mainly for storing larger amounts of eggs at one time - you %% mix the chem concentrate with warm water and immerse the eggs in the mixed water glass solution using a food grade container >>> in the old days an earthenware crock was used - these days a pop cooler is perfect - keeps a constant temp and the cooler liners are food grade poly ...

best storage method is to pack the eggs in cartons - immerse the cartons entirely >> the eggs need to be flipped - at least once a month - some say once a week - the cartons are perfect for the flipping requirement ..

chelloveck and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

6. Illini Warrior

same stuff used to decommission engines for a $$$$ for junker buy campaign - seizes it tite

it's also the chem used to seal new concrete ...

chelloveck likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

By "washed eggs" the video refers to the washing given to store bought eggs. This removes the outer calcium layer and leaves the shell porous enough for the hydrated calcium (or other) to leach into the egg. She discusses dirty eggs in the video.

Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  8. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Nice article - I like their methodology. It sounds like sodium silicate worked the best compared to lime and the others.

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Excellent - one of my favorite channels!

Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I wonder if any of the animal rendering byproducts ( Collagens) would provide a barrier similer to, or at least seal the shell and still allow the water glassing?

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The Mother Earth article tested use of lard. That was the worst performing of any of the methods used.

Ura-Ki, chelloveck and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  13. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

#1 reason for stored eggs failure is hairline cracks that you can't see without candling. If you candle and use the hairliners for immediate use and save the pristine eggs for longer storage no problems. Used to wash, candle, grade and pack 1800-2000 eggs per day from our chickens and another 4,000-5,000 from other other farms that didn't want the hassle of getting licensed, easy $80 for 3 hours lazy work or so when doing other folks eggs...... and you get real fast at it after a while.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Dunerunner, 3cyl, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Actually, I was thinking more of the rendered adhesives or even sorghum based, kind of like we use for rolling/gluing/sealing paper cartridges!

Dunerunner and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

3M-TA3 likes this.
  16. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Water glass can also be used to stop automotive water leaks.
    [flag]

17. Illini Warrior

the bloom isn't going to survive any washing - you start rinsing them under a faucet and it'll be damaged or gone ...

3M-TA3 likes this.
  18. Illini Warrior

if you can only get store eggs that are older and machine washed - use them - anything preserved is better than nothing >>> just be aware that the storage longevity will be cut short

Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  19. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Am I the only one who cans pickled eggs? I mean sure they have the same texture as a salted Goodyear tire, but they're still great sliced and tossed in a salad.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    SB21, Dunerunner, Dont and 2 others like this.
  20. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

MMMMM!! Pickled eggs...

SB21 and Dunerunner like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7