Weed Eater Attachments

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I bought a Ryobi weed eater/trimmer and it has the capability to accept attachments. The attachments are kind of pricey but would be worth it if they work. Has anyone bought the attachments? I am looking at the pole saw attachment. I am wondering if it is stable and easy to use.

It looks like this:
    attach.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-E...Pole-Saw-Attachment-RYPRN33/100044833#overlay
    Product Overview
    The RYOBI Expand-It 10 in. A Pole Saw Attachment features a 10 in. bar and chain that is ideal for pruning and cutting limbs up to 6 in. thick. Reach dead branches or overgrown limbs up to 12 ft. above the ground with the included extension shaft. The angled trimming head allows for user control and more precise cuts. An automatic lubrication feature helps keep the attachment well-oiled during use. This pole saw attachment can be used with RYOBI, Toro, Weed Eater, Troy Bilt, Murray, Poulan Pro and other universal brand fit power heads and trimmers.
    • Universal brand fit
    • 10 in. bar and chain
    • 8 in. cutting capacity
    • Angled cutting head for better cut control
    • Includes extension shaft for extra reach up to 12 ft.
    • Automatic oiler for easy operation
    • No tools or adaptors required
    • Chain specifications: 3/8s skip tooth-40 drive links - 0.050-Gauge
    Cost $99. Do you think it is worth it?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Unless you have a lot of hard to reach cutting, I wouldn't bother, kinda pricy for a limited use tool!

I was going to recommend the old poll saw/limbing tool, but damn, those are getting spendy now days too, so the above might not be too bad!

duane, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just have a bunch of limb trimming. I can do it manually but that get to be a lot of work. With something automatic I could finish the project quickly. I really do not feel comfortable using a chain saw. The kid across the street was cutting and he hit a knot and the saw bounced back, he bled out before the ambulance got there. I have never forgot and have been scared of chainsaws. So I am looking for something to quicken my work.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

It might be a very handy tool if you could run it with a short handle, sort of like a small camp saw, something like that could be handy to have around for trimming all the shrubs and stuff!

5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I have the Sthil equal, but I bout it used at a garage sale. Would not pay full retail for it.

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do you feel pretty stable using it? By stable I mean feeling like you have a solid grip on it, not awkward.

7. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Yep, Stihl even has additional poles to increase the reach.

duane, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  8. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I used the Stihl version to cut hundreds of small trees (up to about 3” diameter) that were damaged in an ice storm…gives you good reach and lets you accomplish a lot of work in a short amount of time.

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Get that pole saw or any pole saw it will change your life.

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have the RYOBI 8'' bar, It's actually surprising what it will do and cut, It's an oil drinker !

Motomom34, Capt. Tyree, duane and 2 others like this.
  11. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

I have the ryobi pole saw attachment, it came with a "center" piece that gives you an extra 4' or so of reach. At full length it can be a bit unwieldy. With the center 4' section left out, it is a quite handy tool. The gas power head has plenty of power for it. The battery power head, you need 4.0 or bigger batteries. Big batteries are heavy (and expensive) but do help to counter balance. I use mostly the gas power head. The battery power head is also MUCH quieter if that is a concern. I've had the pole saw for 3 years or so, and would buy it over again.

12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

They will also work you ass to death! I know!

duane, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I bought that Ryobi a few years back to trim some of the stuff I have. I was kind of impressed with it for the price. But ,,, I don't know how much you've got to trim ,, but , I used mine 2 years ago ,, and haven't really used it since ,, but I need to ,, only because I didn't cut everything that 1st year. My Point is ,, depending on what you have growing on your property,, you might only need to trim those limbs back every 2-3 years . For the time it would take to trim a small property,, you could pay someone 50 bucks to drop the limbs every 2-3 years ,, and not have to worry about the battery going bad if you don't use it . But ,, if you have other Ryobi tools ,, and use and recharge the batteries regularly,, it might be OK. JMO

14. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I also have the Stihl system with pole saw, line trimmer attachment and extension. Gets a bit tricky to handle the saw with the extension section but I can reach pretty high with it. I like mine a lot. Frankly, I use the saw almost exclusively, just don’t do much line trimming when I mow. The Stihl wasn’t cheap but no regrets at all in buying it.

Motomom34 and CraftyMofo like this.
  15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I got a Trimmer Plus pole saw adapter for my Craftsman weed eater last weekend. Less than $100 with my military discount. I had read the reviews, and they were spot on. This thing is a little giant killer. I got the oil set the way I was taught in school, used the tall pole to trim some dead stuff on a tree that sits on a hillside. Not bad at all. Then I used only the short section attached to the saw to cut up a huge live oak branch that had laid down in the yard when the rain made it too heavy. At the trunk end it was 10" in diameter.
    The little 8" saw could handle that with two easy cuts. I cut up the whole tree into stove length pieces and never had to bend down.

I'm thinking that at my age, being unable to bend in all the right places, how I expect to use a chain saw, and for the price it was a great deal. Now I have to keep it away from That Woman. Last time she trimmed my weeping Birch it looked like a green Q-Tip.

16. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Like a few of the earlier fellow monkey replies, I have owned the Ryobi "Chainsaw-on-a-Stick" (8" bar) for about 15 years. Usage of it is not a regular thing. I may not use it for a couple years, but then use it for a chunk of work in a short period of time. When I need to extend my reach to spiffy up some branches otherwise too high, it has been a satisfying implement to have.

Safety awareness is essential if you have low hanging power, or even TV cable lines extending across your backyard.

The extended mini-saw can be unwieldy due to the extended weight at the end of about 10 feet of pole. So, having decent upper body strength to handle the leverage is a good thing. However, after a little experience with its use, even a weaker person can anticipate the forces needed to maintain saw position on the targeted tree limb while staying balanced on the ground. After a good work session, you might feel it in your lower back.:)

As someone who has used it for years of backyard trimming as well as on past hunting leases to clear shooting lanes and right-of-ways, I regard it as a "force multiplier" when it comes to what I am able to get done on my own.(y)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

And just for added safety,, I'll throw this in ,, MM34,, if you do get one ,, whichever one you get ,, don't get on a ladder to stretch out the extra foot or so ,, that limb is going to come down ,, and in your direction. But if you do do this ,, get videos of it , and put it on YouTube with all the others that have done it . But really ,, just be careful, we don't want to hear about you getting hurt .

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thank you for the safety warning. Per my sons, I am not allowed to do ladders anymore after I slid off the roof this summer and broke my ankle. Gosh f they caught me on a ladder with a saw…. things would get ugly. :LOL:

techsar, Ura-Ki, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thank you all for your reviews on the attachment saw. I really do not have a lot to trim but it is something that will keep and can used in the future. Some of your responses gave me things to think about, it seems to be a useful tool but I do wonder if it is worth the investment for me.

Ura-Ki, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Speaking of weed eater accessories, have you seen the electric start adapters that go in a cordless drill?

After wearing out both my shoulders last weekend pulling the starter rope on the ornery machine I found out it has a hole at the end to accept the adapter.

I will try it tomorrow and give you a report.

oldawg, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7