What crysal works in a crystal radio?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by DKR, Jul 12, 2020.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Idahoser, 3M-TA3 and Ganado like this.
  2. DKR

3. DKR

Idahoser, 3M-TA3, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  4. sdr

sdr Monkey++

I remember watching a video about 5 years ago on how crystal radios work. The guy explained the limitations they had and started building different circuits to modify them. Started with a simple more efficient tuner then went into an amplifier circuit for a better speaker. The videos kept going into detail on different mods one could make.

Can't find them anymore.

Dont and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Remember that half the radio is the antenna.
    Like matched tuning forks the harmonic is critical.
    In the old days, Hams made a slider for the long wire antenna to adjust the length of exposure.
    In the days of CB radio, you learned how critical an inch or two made on your transceiver.
    As a kid, we listened to crystal set radios and anything on the air was available especially at night.

6. npe1pas

npe1pas Monkey+++

I remember helping my dad with his ham rig. He was building some kit and required a crystal. He was using a polishing compound to fine tune the crystal. After a while he decided that he’d put my nimble fingers to work so I had the pleasure of grinding down the crystal for a bit. He utilized old mil components in his rigs. Nothing lights the night like a kilowatt tube based amp.

BTPost likes this.
  7. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

I visited the New England Telephone & Telegraph Company museum once, and they had one of the original 'crystal' receivers there - complete with Edison "Super Clear" crystals!

Madison Avenue, where superlatives about the size of Adam's Apple started.

William Warren

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Or warms the shack...

Also. remember.that the RF Ground is HALF the Antenna...

npe1pas likes this.
  9. DKR

A bit more than a crystal set....

10. toydoc

toydoc Monkey+++

Back in 1998 we were home schooling our two youngest daughters and we built this kind of radio with an antenna wound on a oatmeal carton. Radio Shack was our resource and a lot of old radios I had "Examined" as a kid. The build was a success and we got to show our daughters that you can have fun and learn too.

BTPost and DKR like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7