What I saw tonight

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quigley_Sharps, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Tonight I watched a practiced charismatic politician make promises that he cannot fulfill, everything but life everlasting.
    Listening I marveled at how someone can be so ignorant of the powers granted to a President and the defining authority given the 3 branches of government.
    He belittled his opponent for being critical of whiners and then whinnied a litany of complaints about our country and how tough life is, the country that allows him to reach a pinnacle no other minority has ever reached even with mandated preferences and quota's.
    His calculated performance was as good as any exhortation given by any Evangelist, but without the trademark stridency and fervent urgency but the monotone that people seem to want to listen to as if he were a minstrel balladeer of note.
    Promises of law he would make, promises of laws he would eliminate if not to his liking, taxes he would levy taxes he would eliminate ,,,, all in the preview of Congress as set out in the Constitution The President can propose but only Congress can dispose,,, is that ignorance or arrogance,,, both I think.
    Many promises were of vague but without specifics more a upbraiding of his rival's party, promises made without definition of implementation.
    A promise of energy independence in 10 years, free of foriegn oil all without a clue as to how it could be accomplished, just a another Presidential gift to the people.
    All in all it was aerated cotton candy, a teaspoon of sugar spun to a volume belying it's real solid content,,, the rubes ate it up.
    Next week the circus with elephants,,, if I hear the same BS I'll puke and sharpen my pitchfork..

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

+1.

I heard a lot of ideas, some even have merit. Implementation remains the bugaboo it always has been and always will be. All the things he will (or wants) to do are controlled in some way by outside influences. Laws are enacted by Congress. Prices are controlled by the markets. Goals (such as energy independence) are all worthy, but they remain as goals until We the People (via our elected representatives) authorize the expenditures of the Nation's treasure and manpower to pursue them.

It remains an open question if he has the strength of reason to convince the Congress that his ideas are worth implementing. For example, his stated plan to shift the tax burden around looks odd, robbing from Peter to pay Paul, and looks to be a zero sum game. see http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26445576/

All of which once again sorta says it makes not a whisker's bit of difference who gets voted into the Oval Office. The difference is in the local and state races.

Full marks to the Senator from Illinois for feel good oratory. Now back to slamming him as an inexperienced pie in the sky dreamer that somehow thinks he can move mountains with a teaspoon.

Side issue, at least to me. The cross aisle slamming has been worse this race than any other I've seen, and I've seen a few. It's gonna get ugly, folks, seeing how many rocks get tossed after the elephant stampede next week. What has been on around here is so full of half truths, sound bites, and out of context quotations has been just plain disgusting.

All broth. "Where's the beef?"

3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

i don't care. not paying attention at all. i am waiting for the libertarian convention to be broadcast.......

4. overbore

overbore Monkey++

Is exactly what happened during the Nurenburg rally 1933 except Half-Honkey this his talk will eliminate the need for a strong military. [ROFL]
    Overbore

5. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

Now If I remember correctly, Doesn't the POTUS serve the people of the united states, and not his own will? If so shouldn't Barack or McCain put aside their own wishes and wants and do as we have told them?
    We truly are thier powerbase and if the people becoe unrestful, isns that when the R word comes out.
    Revolution is not something to be taken lightly, but it is what happens when leadesr forget that it is not the elites that surround them who they are leading, but the fingers they tread on everyday to do their "Job".

6. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Yes, I agree, and Obama made that very clear in his speech last night.

When I hear Obama answer questions, I hear..... we can find/work out a solution.

When I hear McCain answer questions, I hear..... this is how it is, and if you don't like it... tough.

I know that if Obama gets in office, he's going to piss me off, and I'll not like him. I already can't stand McCain, and 20 of the last 28 years have been republicans in the white house..... look where that's gotten us.

7. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

That's what I see here, too. Sad... no... nauseating.

Unfortunately, too many vote like it's a popularity contest (biggest smile, best dressed, etc). ~sigh~

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7