What Is A Solar Ready Panel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ColtCarbine, Sep 2, 2021.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

What Is A Solar Ready Panel? - Solar Energy Hackers

I'm not savvy when it comes to electricity but this was a great explanation for an ignorant person like myself. Doing research on this being I'm about to get rid of my Zinsco panel and install a new meter service.

Yard Dart, Dunerunner and duane like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

The tech is growing so fast, the cost per watt is coming down, financing is available, etc, this is now a two tier business. If you are going to install a grid tie system with 5,000 plus watts, it isn't a job for most home owners. Can still do backup and off grid, but the power, voltages and currents are so high that failures can be disastrous in grid tie. Arcs can cause fires, voltages can kill, back feeds are dangerous both to home owner and power company workers..

Than you. Good article to get you thinking, not a solution, a warning and a hint at one working solution.

ColtCarbine likes this.
  3. ColtCarbine

Not looking to install solar anytime soon, just making provisions on equipment I'm currently installing.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Having built my own, I suggest you plan greater then you currently imagine.
    I build a battery bank first with room to spare.
    Current technology is the lithium ion.
    Though I am on a lead acid battery bank, if I had the money i'd convert.
    If you build the bank you learn something and you can fix it if things need service.
    IMO it's best to build your own system.

ColtCarbine and Dunerunner like this.
  5. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

DON'T throw those Zinsco breakers away......they are obsolete and there is a market for them.

As for a solar ready panel, lot of it is going to depend on how the local utility wants you to interconnect to them, so I'd check there first before depending on the article. Ours has changed a couple of time since I first connected in 2007.

6. ColtCarbine

I found out the hard way that Zinsco breakers weren't available anymore, when a breaker tripped and would no longer reset. At least it tripped though, instead of not tripping. I'm chomping at the bit to finally rid myself of this electrical panel. I had no idea about the hazards concerning this panel when I purchased my house years ago.

Still waiting for a reply from the utility company on their preferred method to connect, so I can order material and move on to obtaining my permit to proceed with project.

ETA: Thank you for the advise

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    Yard Dart and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Midnight combiner panel and breakers is all i run.
    I have a few huge 160 amp Dc breakers if any one needs .
    Sloth

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7