What kind or physical preparations are you all making?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meds, Jan 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Meds

Meds Monkey

I see endless posts concerning food storage, gear, shelter, firearms, etc. One thing I haven't found yet is advice on staying physically fit. So i'm very curious to know how some of you are training your bodies, because I am a strong believer that you can have the best gear and knowledge available but some of the first to go in a survival or wshtf situation occurs are the "out of shape" ones. Lots of cardio? Weight training? Crossfit? Do you do a lot of backpacking?

madmax likes this.
  2. Halffast

Halffast Wannabe Hack Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Haven't you watched Zombie Land? Rule #1...Cardio! Also, don't forget rule #18...Limber up. ;)

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I get lots of exercise jumping to conclusions.;)

GrayGhost, AD1, Dunerunner and 4 others like this.
  4. Meds

Meds Monkey

Haha very true! I'm doing a combination of cardio and weights but seriously considering getting in to crossfit. Seems pretty brutal though.

5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

At this point in my life my physical preps tend toward making sure I have access to strong young men to handle the heavy stuff and trying to make sure I don't have to run far for cover.

6. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

Insanity (Beachbody). And I mix in P90X Ab Ripper X three times a week. Good for the core. Then add some running and/or hikes. I think most people are overly optimistic about how quickly they can cover ground. Do some training humps.

Don't be daunted by these. If you do them, just do what you can, rest, and get back in it.

Dunerunner likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

At this point getting out of bed in the morning is about all the heavy work I can manage. Other than that, regular fork lifting helps a bit, especially if done rapidly.

Now and then, chunking firewood enters the mix.

GrayGhost and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Ergo, Children.

9. Meds

Meds Monkey

Insanity is a great workout. We had a make shift gym in Afghanistan that served it's purpose well but one of my buddies had insanity and it kicked my butt every time I did it. Just goes to show you don't need fancy equipment or even a lot of time to keep your body in a state of readiness.

10. Meds

Meds Monkey

As far as humps, believe me I get my fair share in with so much more weight than i would ever carry for survival haha.

11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I like mud runs! During the winter its treadmill and weights.

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have been training my whole life to be physically fit; when I was a teenager, I used to run for miles cross country. I have been in the military for most of my adult life, and even now I tend to find time now and again to give myself a test. As far as routine fitness goes now, it's just a matter of balancing life with what works best. The daily push ups, stretching and balanced diet help keep me limber and on point. I think a healthy diet is the most important out of all these.

@melbo actually started a topic on water fasting.

I have fasted before, and found it's not the best for me, so I tend to try and compromise a bit. I will spend a week or two just eating bare minimum, essential foods I typically stock, which pretty much equals one full meal per day and a snack. This limited calorie diet routine can prove to be beneficial if approached carefully because it closely resembles the reality of living in a SHTF environment where food isn't always easy to come by. Naturally, I have to find ways to keep busy and not stress over trying to eat, since a comfortable life can make us susceptible to falling into the same old habits. It's a balancing act, really. Normally, we wouldn't be overly active and expend far more energy than we can replace with caloric intake, and a little practice in this routine could prove useful --I do not know to what extent, but there it is. Perhaps I would be more quickly accustomed to a harsh reality of a life with little food in a SHTF scenario than somebody who must switch for the first time ever when/if something like this ever arises.

I think physical training must be taken on an individual basis. I am pretty fit overall, but not everybody is, so they may require a more strenuous workout to maintain optimal levels of health. Like I said before, a healthy diet will help greatly and assist the most.

To give you an idea of one test I put myself through, I spent an entire month eating only survival tabs and drinking water with a very limited amount of solid food (almost nothing). For the record, this did not work out great, but I did not die.

GrayGhost likes this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

IMG_0365 (800x598). Not much !!!

14. Meds

Meds Monkey

Great point brokor. Diet is half the battle when it comes to being fit. And I'm currently active duty so they do a more than good job of wearing me out and I excersize on my own time as well but plan on getting out asap and am trying to come up with a routine to keep it up. It would be good to test your self and see how you could handle the lower caloric intake for a short amount of time, however I don't think I would do it for very long, might cause more damage than good. And gator I'm not exactly positive what that picture is of. Broken bone?

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yeah 2,An assult sledgehammer took out my right foot.

AD1 likes this.
  16. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Herb garden, vegetable garden in the spring, food and water stored, sword training in the evenings and on weekends, cardio inside when the weather sucks (rain), lots of hands-on skills learning. Of course, I'm in Los Angeles, so I might need any or all of this at any time. Earthquake country, you know.

17. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Retarded now but still work every day--well almost. Do a wee bit of running and lots of fast walking. Love working up a good sweat. Heart only pumping 45% but can do most anything still.

18. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

ouch.

19. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

12 ounce curls

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Broke out the Karhu's a couple weeks ago but the snow washed away with all the dang rain. Getting out on the trails and walking a lot on the trails helps. Will be adding a pack when my heart's up to it again.

Getting the rest of the family involved as well

Brokor likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra loves to workout!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. wideym
  16. Yard Dart
  17. The_Prepared
  18. hot diggity
  19. Dont
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7